Reretaken Down

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by MarkBarrett »

alietr wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:The Thursday Aug. 27 NYT crossword puzzle is by Joon Pahk. Always nice to see a boardie getting published.
I came up with another example:
Spoiler
KJLoser
but he didn't seem to think that would be widely enough known.

And two others:
Spoiler
DCComics and MLKing
Ah, good ones.

For me I had
Spoiler
M.L. Carr. For Rex Parker to think E.D. Hirsch is way more known than B.A. Baracus was insanity even though I do have the Hirsch book within reach of my computer.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

This is Pointless!

Post by dhkendall »

Just wondering if anyone has heard of the British game show "Pointless", the way it was explained to me ("a reverse Family Feud") reminded me a little of TD, where you have to come up with an answer those polled *didnt* come up with.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Shaymin
Valued Contributor

Post by Shaymin »

I've seen a few episodes and quite like the concept, actually. Though I think this might be the best question they've ever done:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SzsM7BCbkQ

(Caution: Contains 80's one hit wonder)
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Shaymin wrote:I've seen a few episodes and quite like the concept, actually. Though I think this might be the best question they've ever done:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SzsM7BCbkQ

(Caution: Contains 80's one hit wonder)
Okay, I'm gonna put this on here then.

Super Mario Maker
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B35YzIVo6Oo

It's way more impressive logistically than it looks, too.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Volante

Post by Volante »

Bet a lot of nations are happy the RIAA is a recent creation...

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-34052000
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Yes, I hate myself for getting suckered into yet another George Takei link, but these make good study material for Millionaire. I think #18 might be, um, amusing to someone on here.

https://www.distractify.com/what-did-co ... 2&ts_pid=2
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

What's Alex Trebek doing tonight? Sitting in the first row behind home plate. I guess he wanted to see Kershaw pitch for the potential sweep.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Tipped off by a question in Ken Jennings's Slate Quiz, I was curious about the New Zealand flag change: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/s ... ne-instead

Uh, yeah, the fifth design not in the running would have my vote over the four finalists. If you go to the site make sure to read the entertaining comments.

Whatever gets decided it looks like fodder for a J! clue down the line.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Well, I didn't know the fern was associated with NZ. I like the unfolding frond one - maybe add some fractals. The mountain one would become known as the Mt. Doom flag. Add a picture of the One Ring and we're done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwJNTZtjC7E
Volante

Post by Volante »

2016 MLB Schedule has been released.

Yeay! Cubs are playing at Angel Stadium!
Boo! It's opening goddamn day and the day after!

...anyone have season tickets they aren't gonna use? :lol:
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Volante wrote:2016 MLB Schedule has been released.

Is that normal, starting the season with interleague games?
patkav
The Chicago Mauler

Post by patkav »

Since realignment (three years ago?), there's an interleague game almost every day, because each league has 15 teams.
Volante

Post by Volante »

patkav wrote:Since realignment (three years ago?), there's an interleague game almost every day, because each league has 15 teams.
Of course, just to mess with averages, the Cubs @ Angels series is the only interleague one until after the All Star Break, but 2013 and 2014 also opened with interleague games.
patkav
The Chicago Mauler

Post by patkav »

That's kooky!

(I was really, really mad at the Cubs--still hate ownership--but holy moly they're good and fun to watch now!)
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

Volante wrote:2016 MLB Schedule has been released.

...anyone have season tickets they aren't gonna use? :lol:
I know a couple of season ticket holders. Ask me again in six months.
OCSam
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

How bout them Nats ....
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Volante wrote:
patkav wrote:Since realignment (three years ago?), there's an interleague game almost every day, because each league has 15 teams.
Of course, just to mess with averages, the Cubs @ Angels series is the only interleague one until after the All Star Break, but 2013 and 2014 also opened with interleague games.
I don't follow what you're saying here. Are you saying it's the only Cubs interleague series until after the break? Or the only Angels series? And what does the 2013/2014 part mean?
Volante

Post by Volante »

jeff6286 wrote:
Volante wrote:
I don't follow what you're saying here. Are you saying it's the only Cubs interleague series until after the break? Or the only Angels series? And what does the 2013/2014 part mean?
It's not unusual for a season to start with an interleague game; 2013 to 2016 have all started with interleague games for at least two teams.

On average, you can usually find one interleague game played each day throughout the regular season. (Strictly speaking, I think the odds are 60% chance a specific day has one.)

[Edit: bad source]
Last edited by Volante on Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Volante wrote:But for 2016, with the exception of the two Cubs @ Angels at the beginning, every other interleague game in the MLB (of which there will be 98) will be played after the All Star Break. So for half the season, 0% chance of an interleague game, and for the other half, odds'll have to be darn near close to 100% to fit them all in.
Huh? There have to be interleague games because of the odd number of teams in each league. And, just checking the Nats' 2016 schedule quickly, they have several interleague series before the All-Star Break. Are you saying something I'm not understanding?
Volante

Post by Volante »

alietr wrote:
Volante wrote:But for 2016, with the exception of the two Cubs @ Angels at the beginning, every other interleague game in the MLB (of which there will be 98) will be played after the All Star Break. So for half the season, 0% chance of an interleague game, and for the other half, odds'll have to be darn near close to 100% to fit them all in.
Huh? There have to be interleague games because of the odd number of teams in each league. And, just checking the Nats' 2016 schedule quickly, they have several interleague series before the All-Star Break. Are you saying something I'm not understanding?
Welp, article I read dun goofed, that or I dun goofed reading it.