Reretaken Down

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by silverscreentest »

dhkendall wrote:I figured this group might be the best place to ask:

Anyone know of a list compiled online anywhere of "alterations" (not quite the right word) to the national anthem by sports fans? For example, Orioles fans yelling "O", Braves fans yelling "Braves" (for "brave"), Winnipeg Jets fans yelling "True North", etc? I wouldn't even know what Google search terms to use I'm that lost in ways to research this.
It's been a long time since I was at an Orioles game but I seemed to be the only one yelling "O!" during "O Canada" when the Blue Jays came to Baltimore.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

silverscreentest wrote:It's been a long time since I was at an Orioles game but I seemed to be the only one yelling "O!" during "O Canada" when the Blue Jays came to Baltimore.
Timing is everything in life ...
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

Anyone know of a list compiled online anywhere of "alterations" (not quite the right word) to the national anthem by sports fans? For example, Orioles fans yelling "O", Braves fans yelling "Braves" (for "brave"), Winnipeg Jets fans yelling "True North", etc? I wouldn't even know what Google search terms to use I'm that lost in ways to research this.
This doesn't answer your question, but is sort of related. I once saw a Colorado Rockies game in Denver, and I noticed that when they sang "God Bless America" during the seventh-inning stretch, the words "from the mountains" received a lot of extra cheering from the Colorado crowd.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Alex Trebek visits Ottawa

Post by dhkendall »

http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/jeopardy ... -1.2360139

(And is disgusted with the Canadian political system - though he liked the fact that MPs from all parties recognized him! :) )

(Don't get too excited, Americans, he's disgusted with your system too.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

silverscreentest wrote:

It's been a long time since I was at an Orioles game but I seemed to be the only one yelling "O!" during "O Canada" when the Blue Jays came to Baltimore.
Conversely, I heard on TV last night Calgary Flames fans yelling "C!" and RED!" during the "Star Spangled Banner".
OCSam
Johnblue
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Alex Trebek visits Ottawa

Post by Johnblue »

dhkendall wrote:http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/jeopardy ... -1.2360139

(And is disgusted with the Canadian political system - though he liked the fact that MPs from all parties recognized him! :) )

(Don't get too excited, Americans, he's disgusted with your system too.)

I attended Question Time in Canberra last year & it was a lot of fun. It didn't seem scripted to me. Their Speaker was quite the curmudgeon.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Seal photobomb

Post by Vanya »

I don't know why but this photo cracks me up.

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Debated whether to resurrect a 4 month old post for this or put this here...more appropriate in the thread, but 4 months? Hrm...

Anyway, came across one of my news feeds this morning:
BBC News - Lawrence of Arabia and the crash helmet
When TE Lawrence - immortalised as Lawrence of Arabia - died 80 years ago he could not have known that the accident which took his life, and the surgeon who tried to save him, would eventually help to save thousands of others....
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Apparently there are other uses for massive computing power:

Meet Chef Watson, IBM’s Futuristic Foodie Robot
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

alietr wrote:Apparently there are other uses for massive computing power:

Meet Chef Watson, IBM’s Futuristic Foodie Robot
I look forward to his Toronto Deep Dish Pizza
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Rafferty Barnes
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Rafferty Barnes »

This place has been bumming me out lately, man. Jeopardy! and the jboard have always been the place where things made sense for me even when nothing else in my life did. But people are having no sense here lately. I don't like real life bleeding into my trivia.
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

Econgator won my Trivial Person of the Week contest on Facebook today. Let's see how many of you also know the answer: Name the first British artist to be No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100 in the 2000s.
Spoiler
James Blunt, "You're Beautiful", 2006
Volante

Post by Volante »

So, to those who complain MLB games are too long, tonight's (21 May) Cubs @ Padres game fit 9 full innings into 2h08. Swear everyone in the stadium did a double take when the big board showed that.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Volante wrote:So, to those who complain MLB games are too long, tonight's (21 May) Cubs @ Padres game fit 9 full innings into 2h08. Swear everyone in the stadium did a double take when the big board showed that.
On August 29, 2004, I went to this game at Jacobs Field. Indians 9, White Sox 0. Nine innings (well, eight and a half) in one hour and 56 minutes. The Indians pitcher, Scott Elarton, was pitching like he was double-parked.
Volante

Post by Volante »

trainman wrote:
Volante wrote:So, to those who complain MLB games are too long, tonight's (21 May) Cubs @ Padres game fit 9 full innings into 2h08. Swear everyone in the stadium did a double take when the big board showed that.
On August 29, 2004, I went to this game at Jacobs Field. Indians 9, White Sox 0. Nine innings (well, eight and a half) in one hour and 56 minutes. The Indians pitcher, Scott Elarton, was pitching like he was double-parked.
Yah, when the home team leads going into the 9th, you can weasel out of the last three outs. Saves probably somewhere from 5-10 minutes (gotta remember to bake in the 2:15 between innings now).

Looks like this one beat mine by 10 minutes, and it's also a full 9 innings:
http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes ... 4270.shtml , Mets over Marlins, 3-1.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

John Nash dead at 86

Post by Vanya »

stephanie
Valued Contributor

Re: John Nash dead at 86

Post by stephanie »

:(

I am terribly saddened by this news. I honestly thought the poor man would just go with age. And his wife, also. I am forever grateful to have seen Nash in person some years back when he gave a lecture at the University here.
Not Jeopardy! material :(
ihavejeoprosy

Re: John Nash dead at 86

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

stephanie wrote:
:(

I am terribly saddened by this news. I honestly thought the poor man would just go with age. And his wife, also. I am forever grateful to have seen Nash in person some years back when he gave a lecture at the University here.
I wonder how he worked out his game theory calculation for not wearing a seatbelt.
Please follow me on Twitter @Cinjeopardy
Total game show losings: $25 K
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Most cabs I've been in, you can't even find the seatbelts...
ihavejeoprosy

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

Robert K S wrote:Most cabs I've been in, you can't even find the seatbelts...
Unfortunately, this is very true.
Please follow me on Twitter @Cinjeopardy
Total game show losings: $25 K