Reretaken Down

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by Rex Kramer »

Today: a special guest posting by one of our own, 2009 ToC semifinalist Donna Vogel: A Day of Rest Can Save Your Life.

Go read it; she is wiser and less prolix than I.

Rex
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

New questions for Passover, #11 might be of interest:

New Passover Questions
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

alietr wrote:New questions for Passover, #11 might be of interest:

New Passover Questions
I don't get the last one.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

The implication in my book was that the woman was consenting to sex in order to persuade the man to take her on vacation to somewhere warm.
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

Millions of people (literally) suffer from Stealth Afflictions. Not for the squeamish!

Rex
Peggles
Grand Exalted Queen of the Universe

Post by Peggles »

alietr wrote:New questions for Passover, #11 might be of interest:

New Passover Questions
:D
Lefty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Lefty »

Rex Kramer wrote:Millions of people (literally) suffer from Stealth Afflictions. Not for the squeamish!
How about the squeasy?
I'm smart and I want respect.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

For the astronomers among us:

Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

This week: a subject so near and dear to our hearts that it is old hat to y'all. But I do like the title: I Have No Job and I Must Scream.

Rex
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Rex Kramer wrote:This week: a subject so near and dear to our hearts that it is old hat to y'all. But I do like the title: I Have No Job and I Must Scream.

Rex
Well-written as always and it's about something that I may need to be contemplating sooner, rather than later.
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

econgator wrote:Well-written as always and it's about something that I may need to be contemplating sooner, rather than later.
Thank you, econgator, and here's hoping that your contemplations turn out to be positive.

Rex
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

You are not the first person to believe that you are bound to suffer on the job: Sorry, I'm Tied Up At Work.

Cheers,
Rex
immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by immaf »

If any of you like wildlife, or like well-written essays, and especially if you like well-written essays about wildlife, then you must read this:

http://www.amazon.com/Wild-Delicate-Sec ... 553&sr=1-1

It was written by my younger brother, and I am so proud of him I could burst! (Don't worry, I won't.) He writes very concisely, but is amazingly observant, conveying not only the physicality of these creatures, but their emotional impact as well.

It's hard to pick a favorite part, but I did laugh out loud when he wrote of a toad: "It could be a burp from a tuba."
Teems with quiet fun.
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

What's the connection between an age-old apparition and the birth of the atomic age? The Ghost And The Machine

Rex
debramc
Iced Mare Grub

Post by debramc »

Rex Kramer wrote:What's the connection between an age-old apparition and the birth of the atomic age? The Ghost And The Machine

Rex
Wow, that's a great story. I'm inspired to pay better attention.
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

debramc wrote:
Rex Kramer wrote:What's the connection between an age-old apparition and the birth of the atomic age? The Ghost And The Machine

Rex
Wow, that's a great story. I'm inspired to pay better attention.
Thanks, Debra! I'm glad you enjoyed it. It was fun to write and a little amazing to discover.

Rex
Woof

Post by Woof »

Thanks for this great story, Rex. Despite my familiarity with cloud chambers and their use, I had no clue about their origins.
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

I work at Georgetown University Law Center, and today the school's Supreme Court Institute held a reception in honor of Justice Ginsberg. One of my colleagues let me know where and when it was happening so I crashed the party, just to see her in person (I took two tax classes with her late husband, Marty, who as far as I could tell was the perfect law school professor). Justice Scalia was also there -- as her longtime friend, he made a warm and appreciative introductory speech. Next followed the head of the Washington National Opera , who acknowledged Justice Ginsberg's love of opera and support of the Company, and thanked her with a unique gift: two WNO signers performed live the barcarolle "Belle nuit, ô nuit d'amour" from Offenbach's Tales of Hoffman.

So there I am, in a room with a hundred and fifty or so people in suits and dresses, in the presence of two U.S. Supreme Court Justices and literally dozens of lesser government officials, academic titans, and -- for lack of a better term -- Power Players ("hmm, there goes Nina Totenberg"), listening to two of the best opera singers in the country perform one of the most lovely pieces of music ever written, and all I can think is . . .

[see if you can guess before spoiling yourself]
Spoiler
"Hey! This is the tune to Ginger's song in the Gilligan's Island version of Hamlet!"
Rex
Woof

Post by Woof »

Not a chance, Rex. I have greatly enjoyed the irony of Justice Ginsberg's close friendship with Justice Scalia given their polar opposition on virtually every issue ever since reading of it in Jeffrey Toobin's "The Nine." No surprise that he would fete her.
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

Why some people are lawyers and not doctors: Work That Fits

Rex