Reretaken Down

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

jkbrat
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by jkbrat »

MarkBarrett wrote:Check out the game on the Google doodle for the 155th anniversary of the Pony Express. So cool and fun! I got 77 on my first try and I will be playing again.
I got 48 because I'm really bad at video games and kept impaling myself on the cacti, but it is super duper cute. :D
There are times I almost think I am not sure of what I absolutely knooooooooo-OW

Learn, Review, Repeat

A Archipelago
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

Talk about shoddy journalistic writing! http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/sty ... cation=ufi
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

I would have picked Marilyn Monroe:

http://www.womenon20s.org/vote2
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Vanya wrote:I would have picked Marilyn Monroe:

http://www.womenon20s.org/vote2
Commemorating the Monroe Doctrine?

Actually, I've read an alternate-history short story called "The Monroe Doctrine" in which Marilyn Monroe is elected president in 1960 and later engages in some, uh, bedroom diplomacy with Brezhnev.
ihavejeoprosy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

So jboard has been blocked by the software at work citing it as a source for spyware. Any reason why this may be happening?
Please follow me on Twitter @Cinjeopardy
Total game show losings: $25 K
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

ihavejeoprosy wrote:So jboard has been blocked by the software at work citing it as a source for spyware. Any reason why this may be happening?
Say what?!?!? Is there any more information available?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Atari: Game Over is a 65-minute documentary worth checking out if you have memories of the Atari 2600 in its glory years. I watched it on Showtime and perhaps it's available on Netflix as well? The video game nostalgia and history were worth the short viewing time.

The focus of piece is the E.T. video game and how the cartridges may or may not have been buried in a New Mexico dump.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

MarkBarrett wrote:Atari: Game Over is a 65-minute documentary worth checking out if you have memories of the Atari 2600 in its glory years. I watched it on Showtime and perhaps it's available on Netflix as well? The video game nostalgia and history were worth the short viewing time.

The focus of piece is the E.T. video game and how the cartridges may or may not have been buried in a New Mexico dump.
It's available via Netflix streaming. Watching it now!
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

They should just call themselves The Slants of Invention.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

"Oh, when the Slants go marchin' in..."
OCSam
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Sounds like a comedy duo I've heard of made up of two Italian-Americans called The Do-Wops
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

I figured this group might be the best place to ask:

Anyone know of a list compiled online anywhere of "alterations" (not quite the right word) to the national anthem by sports fans? For example, Orioles fans yelling "O", Braves fans yelling "Braves" (for "brave"), Winnipeg Jets fans yelling "True North", etc? I wouldn't even know what Google search terms to use I'm that lost in ways to research this.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

dhkendall wrote:I figured this group might be the best place to ask:

Anyone know of a list compiled online anywhere of "alterations" (not quite the right word) to the national anthem by sports fans? For example, Orioles fans yelling "O", Braves fans yelling "Braves" (for "brave"), Winnipeg Jets fans yelling "True North", etc? I wouldn't even know what Google search terms to use I'm that lost in ways to research this.
It drives Carol Anne crazy when I "O" at a Nats game.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

Dallas - "STARS"
OCSam
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

alietr wrote:Article in AAAS's Science about Jeopardy:

This popular TV game show has a thing for science: What is Jeopardy!?
Interestingly, there is a clue spoiler (of indeterminate magnitude) early on in the article.

As to head writer Billy Wisse's mention of a "tensile strength" episode, that term has appeared four times in archived games, but I couldn't find a cause for controversy in any of them. (Perhaps notably, though, Sarah and Jimmy have paired up for video clues in two of them.)

An interesting paper citation at the end:
H. Rachlin, “Making IBM's Computer, Watson, Human.” Behav Anal. 35, 1 (Spring 2012): 1–16. “This essay uses the recent victory of an IBM computer (Watson) in the TV game, Jeopardy, to speculate on the abilities Watson would need, in addition to those it has, to be human.”
I wonder if one of the things they mention is a slower thumb.
jfrumkin
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jfrumkin »

I think the Hurricanes and Caps fans yell "Red".
Twitter: @jfrumkin
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

We had a soccer match this past weekend where, just about when the singer got to "what so proudly we hailed", it began hailing!

https://youtu.be/lUvRc8zd-rU
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

http://notalwayslearning.com/what-is-a-long-shot/37392
(We are in a college history course, where professors generally don’t care about exact dates as long as people know the general time period when something occurred.)

Student: “So this happened in 1795, right?”

Professor: “Yes, ’95. You don’t really need to know that, though. I won’t test you on it.”

Student: “You never know when I might be on Jeopardy, though.”

Professor: “Good point!” *pause* “That is a very good point… Okay, starting now, make sure you memorize all the dates we learn in class! You might be on Jeopardy some day!”
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)