Reretaken Down

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by Woof »

Nice quiz, Paucle. I felt that it kicked my rear end until I looked at the statistics, only to find that I was in the 99th %ile (the beauty of the statistics of small numbers) :lol: I clearly should have had a few others had I thought more deeply about what you were asking, but my best get was
Spoiler
cocoa butter
, a result that I can only attribute to my misspent adolescence at many outdoor rock concerts in the '70s.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Seems to me
Spoiler
cut block or chop block could fit #3. I've never heard of a crackback and one site says it is a legal block.
jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

that was difficult. 21/40. looking at the answers, there were at least a dozen i'd never heard of out of the 19, and a handful more that i couldn't have pulled out if you'd given me all day.

some pretty famous people/things that could also be in this quiz (perhaps in place of some of the more obscure items):
Spoiler
charlie brown (or chris brown), candice bergen, cat burglar, carol burnett, celebrity boxing, charles babbage, charlotte bronte/currer bell, comic book, color blindness, chesapeake bay, cordon bleu, constantin brancusi, coronary bypass, cotton bowl, cowboy boots, cricket ball/bat, covered bridge, conveyor belt, cutting board, covalent bond, circuit board/breaker/spoiler]

and for that matter
Spoiler
citizen's band (although it's alluded to in the quiz title)
having said that, there's nothing wrong with anything that's in there already, although i would probably use
Spoiler
canadian bacon (either the food or the movie) instead of canadian border
because it's more of an actual thing as opposed to just adjective + noun.

thanks for the quiz!
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

Yep, that was a good quiz. And challenging. I got 22 out of 40, which it appears is actually good.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Thanks for all the input! And if you guys are getting only around half, it's clearly too hard. I left a few of Joon's suggestions unused off my list, but now I am going to use them (and also steal a few of his that didn't occur to me).
Will fix crack back- perhaps remove it totally, there's plenty of sports already. Thanks, Vanya, for the heads up.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Much tougher than the usual Sporcle. I got 22, but hadn't heard of most of the ones I didn't get.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Just replaced a few answers- especially jumped all over "Chesapeake Bay." When I was gathering answers, I knew there had to be a famous Bay that started with C but... what? WHAT? It just never occurred to me!
Did I also miss a "Cape B"? All I got was Breton, and it didn't seem very askable.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Paucle wrote:Just replaced a few answers- especially jumped all over "Chesapeake Bay." When I was gathering answers, I knew there had to be a famous Bay that started with C but... what? WHAT? It just never occurred to me!
Did I also miss a "Cape B"? All I got was Breton, and it didn't seem very askable.
Says you, for a Canadian, that's a no-brainer! :) (I don't know if Sporcle is anything like Jeopardy!< but if basic Canadian questions stump Sporclers, I'd say include Cape Breton. (Something like "A large island off the north of the mainland of Nova Scotia" would work fine.)

I realized that's what the quiz was missing, geography! Explains my score of 17 ...
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Paucle wrote:Just replaced a few answers- especially jumped all over "Chesapeake Bay." When I was gathering answers, I knew there had to be a famous Bay that started with C but... what? WHAT? It just never occurred to me!
I was there early enough to play the first version and had 25. On the new one I had 27 in not going for ones I missed the first time. On the original I drove myself crazy trying to make chop block work. I was not giving up on the McHale's Navy one until I found the right spelling.

Thank for alternate acceptances with:
Spoiler
coffee beans
charity ball
Is there a rhyme or reason for some clues starting in lower case and others in upper case?

If more changes are needed and new names then you can work with:

She tugged her ear to say hi to granny
Her father was no dummy although he worked with them
She will always be an uptown girl
He likes to sing about his ding-a-ling
In sports he goes all - the - way (for ESPN)
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Is there some way to see the stats without actually playing it again? (or at least starting to play it)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Paucle wrote:Is there some way to see the stats without actually playing it again? (or at least starting to play it)
Yes. just add a /results to the end of the game URL.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
Paucle wrote:Is there some way to see the stats without actually playing it again? (or at least starting to play it)
Yes. just add a /results to the end of the game URL.
Wish I knew that earlier, if I wanted to go back and see the results, I've been starting it again, pressing "give up" and checking with a score of 0. Probably hurts my stats something fierce ...
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Exactly- if you're signed in and you've already played that game, seems like it should recognize that fact and offer those icons from the get-go.
jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

yeah. you can also access the results page from your "games played" page (and the quiz author can access it from the "create" page), but it would help to have those links on the puzzle page itself.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

This sporcle quiz seems like it might go over well here:
http://www.sporcle.com/games/gnatural/thirdmember

Paucle, I ended up with 27 in your latest (final?) revision... wait, make that 26, as I looked up Creighton's nickname.
In and out of the pool four times
jkbrat
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jkbrat »

Played the revised version - still nice and challenging (for me anyway :)) (20/40).
Spoiler
Sports Miss of the Day: Monsters of the Midway -> Carnival Barkers (Hey - they can be pretty creepy, you know!! :lol: )

Shoulda-Gots: Chesapeake Bay (geography :( ), Charles Babbage (technology :( )

You may want to add Chili Beans (plural) to the accept list as the clue uses the plural these. (Or at least I think that was the problem - I got it eventually, but I just remember it took a few tries. Maybe I started with the wrong spelling of chili? Hard to recreate after the fact ...)

Oh, and I learned just last night that theobroma (Greek: food of the gods) -> chocolate while helping my 5th grader study for her (the) science (of chocolate) quiz!
Man, that countdown clock on these quizzes really psychs me out! I keep glancing at it even when there's plenty of time left (and even if there wasn't, how would knowing this fact help me anyway??) Next time I'm going to get a big Post-It note and stick it on my computer screen to cover it up!
There are times I almost think I am not sure of what I absolutely knooooooooo-OW

Learn, Review, Repeat

A Archipelago
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Julie, I'll rework it if need be. If I am asking for the plural but entered the singular as correct, the game should grab the singular on your way to spelling the plural. (i.e., by the time you've spelled it all except for the end S, it'll pop into place)
Now, if I've done it the other way-- asking for the singular, but inputting the plural- yeah, players will be ... um, plussed I guess.
I'll check in a few hours, I'm waiting for a few more plays to see which answers I may want to eliminate to replace with more accessible ones.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

jkbrat
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jkbrat »

Paucle wrote:Julie, I'll rework it if need be. If I am asking for the plural but entered the singular as correct, the game should grab the singular on your way to spelling the plural. (i.e., by the time you've spelled it all except for the end S, it'll pop into place)
Now, if I've done it the other way-- asking for the singular, but inputting the plural- yeah, players will be ... um, plussed I guess.
I'll check in a few hours, I'm waiting for a few more plays to see which answers I may want to eliminate to replace with more accessible ones.
Well, if the game is designed to automatically grab [word] as correct even if I went on to type [word]s (good to know; thought it had to be an exact match), then the tragical, but probably inescapable, conclusion is that
Spoiler
I must have started with Chile Beans (I knew I went there at some point during the course of multiple tries, but thought it was after receiving rejection for Chili Beans and before thinking to try both as singulars. :oops: ).
There are times I almost think I am not sure of what I absolutely knooooooooo-OW

Learn, Review, Repeat

A Archipelago
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

On Sporcle there is always the chance that a player types fast enough that the answer doesn't get "grabbed" before another key is struck. So if I type "chili beans", and hit the s immediately after the n, the game may not register my response of chili bean. Often you can see something like this in play when two answers are just one letter apart, or at least one answer is included in the spelling of another. For a quiz about baseball home run hitters, Willie Mays may have a 97.6% get rate, while Lee May's will be something like 97.3%, accounting for the fact that 0.3% of players typed Mays fast enough to not get May, and of course very few players are going to know May if they don't know Mays.

For something like chili bean/beans, the obvious solution is to accept both, as it looks like you've done with coffee beans/berries.