Reretaken Down

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by Robert K S »

Schliemann wrote::(
Forget it, Jake. It's Clevelandtown.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

alietr wrote:If we can stand one more infographic for the day, animals that will kill you:
Sharks.png
That's wrong. A certain mammal species kills tens of thousands of people per year.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

gnash wrote:
alietr wrote:If we can stand one more infographic for the day, animals that will kill you:
Sharks.png
That's wrong. A certain mammal species kills tens of thousands of people per year.
That is if you are unable to distinguish between human and animal, as most here are.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

On tonight's "Conan": Andy Richter breaks the couch while demonstrating improper "Jeopardy!" buzzer technique.
John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by John Boy »

Sharks.png
A few years ago I read a top-ten list (newspaper?) of the animals (non-human) that kill the most humans (I believe it was U.S. only). I was also surprised that all the predators you would think of first (bears, sharks, even dogs) were on the list but nowhere near the top.

The deadliest animal to Americans year in and year out is the deer. Most of course kill people by colliding with automobiles, only a few by getting their hooves on handguns. But still....
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

John Boy wrote:
Sharks.png
A few years ago I read a top-ten list (newspaper?) of the animals (non-human) that kill the most humans (I believe it was U.S. only). I was also surprised that all the predators you would think of first (bears, sharks, even dogs) were on the list but nowhere near the top.

The deadliest animal to Americans year in and year out is the deer. Most of course kill people by colliding with automobiles, only a few by getting their hooves on handguns. But still....
Ah, those suicidal terrorist beasts, murdering Americans by jumping in front of their cars...
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

bpmod wrote:
gnash wrote:
Sharks.png
That is if you are unable to distinguish between human and animal, as most here are.

Brian
Proper subsets are not properly "distinguished" from their supersets.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

gnash wrote:
John Boy wrote:
Sharks.png

Ah, those suicidal terrorist beasts, murdering Americans by jumping in front of their cars...
Suicidal? It's revenge, I tell ya! (NSFW language)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JSNr9NxOdA
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I was watching The View and the hosts introduced Sofia Dickens from EQtainment for a segment about an educational product line for children. One look at the guest had me instantly recognize her: http://eqtainment.com/about/
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

A mompreneur? LOL
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Sprinkles are for winners.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Apparently this poor article has people calling for blood...
http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1015 ... tw-nytimes

But, look, all the NY Times is saying is give peas a chance!

I regret nothing.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by barandall800 »

Volante wrote:Apparently this poor article has people calling for blood...
http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1015 ... tw-nytimes

But, look, all the NY Times is saying is give peas a chance!

I regret nothing.
They just want whirled peas, really.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Ok, here's something that's been bugging me: how does one spell the gerund form of "whine"? (As in "stop your [*] and get on with life"). For the past 40 years I've seen it as "whining" but just recently I've seen "whinging" crop up, which makes me want to pronounce it as "whing-ing" (the first part like the flying appendage of a bird with a "wh" sound). I've chalked it up to "idiots spelling bad on the Internet", but just now I saw a boardie ( won't name names) spell it with the extra g on Facebook, and this is a boardie I know is smart and I'd take their word on matters of spelling.

Have I been the one in the wrong? Is this an American-Canadian spelling difference? Is this Internet slang for a different type of whining? Why have I only seen "whinging" pop up just recently? Am I whining too much?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
PowerofHoodoo
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by PowerofHoodoo »

dhkendall wrote:Ok, here's something that's been bugging me: how does one spell the gerund form of "whine"? (As in "stop your [*] and get on with life"). For the past 40 years I've seen it as "whining" but just recently I've seen "whinging" crop up, which makes me want to pronounce it as "whing-ing" (the first part like the flying appendage of a bird with a "wh" sound). I've chalked it up to "idiots spelling bad on the Internet", but just now I saw a boardie ( won't name names) spell it with the extra g on Facebook, and this is a boardie I know is smart and I'd take their word on matters of spelling.

Have I been the one in the wrong? Is this an American-Canadian spelling difference? Is this Internet slang for a different type of whining? Why have I only seen "whinging" pop up just recently? Am I whining too much?
No, you haven't been wrong. Whinge is a British expression that is essentially the same as whine. It rhymes with hinge and isn't at all new.
worldwidewebster
Valued Contributor

Post by worldwidewebster »

Put another way, "whinge" rhymes with "fringe," which we here in the States misspell as "bangs." ;)

Tbh, I was always a little surprised the American translations of the Harry Potter books didn't change the name of "Little Whinging" to "Little Whining," the way they changed "philosopher's stone" to "sorcerer's stone." :lol:
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

worldwidewebster wrote:Put another way, "whinge" rhymes with "fringe," which we here in the States misspell as "bangs." ;)

Tbh, I was always a little surprised the American translations of the Harry Potter books didn't change the name of "Little Whinging" to "Little Whining," the way they changed "philosopher's stone" to "sorcerer's stone." :lol:
Since they didn't feel the need to change any of the other British words and phrases in those books, I'd have been shocked if they did change the name of Little Whinging.
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

Woof wrote:Since they didn't feel the need to change any of the other British words and phrases in those books, I'd have been shocked if they did change the name of Little Whinging.
Something else I've wondered, based on the books and movies: are 'Happy Christmas' and 'Merry Christmas' equally prevalent, or is one more 'English' than the other?
brick

Post by brick »

Woof wrote:
worldwidewebster wrote:Put another way, "whinge" rhymes with "fringe," which we here in the States misspell as "bangs." ;)

Since they didn't feel the need to change any of the other British words and phrases in those books, I'd have been shocked if they did change the name of Little Whinging.
But they did change some of them, certainly in the early editions of the first couple of books. They changed trainers to sneakers and jumper to sweater... there may be more.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

It's still early, but I hope this lasts for a while:

(This was somewhat buoyed by the fact that when I caught up on Sploofusing that I missed due to the audition I got each and every one of them right! (Including several lucky guesses). This is a trend that hasn't happened before!
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012