Reretaken Down

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

8/31 NYTimes X-word

Post by Paucle »

GREAT theme, BTW, but SHC players who also do this puzzle take note of 49 down!

David, just now saw your post and will check for it onDemand. Thanks!

Speaking of X-words, where's Joon been lately?
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by Linear Gnome »

Phillies pitched a combined no-hitter today against the Braves. Hamels walked 5 in 6 innings and hit one batter, facing 24 hitters on 108 pitches. Diekman, Giles, and Papelbon all pitched 1-2-3 innings.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Goddamnit, Home Depot. And goddamnit, skinflint banks who have to be dragged kicking and screaming by shareholders to cut down on chargebacks.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-29044855 (Guess where I went Sunday...followup, guess what I was doing today :roll: )
The general goods retailer later confirmed that 40 million credit and debit cards belonging to its shoppers had been compromised over a three week period. Its chief executive resigned as a consequence, and the company said last month that the episode had cost it $148m (£90m) to date.
The silver lining is I would have had to update all my reoccurings next month since the card that got jacked had two months left before retirement.

During this, I realized I never updated my personal details for my flyer miles program.
*Wonders if United has been snail mailing my Cal dorm for the past...*checks watch*...decade...* :? They probably have.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Time travel in baseball

Post by Linear Gnome »

This seems to be a good thread for random baseball occurrences.

Andrew Susac was called up to the Giants on July 26, with one at bat on that day and his first major league hit on July 30.

But, on September 1, the Giants and Rockies completed a game that had been suspended on May 22. Susac got a hit in the completion of that game, so the record books say that his first major league appearance and major league hit were on May 22. I wonder if he has both balls on his mantel.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Time travel in baseball

Post by MarkBarrett »

Linear Gnome wrote:This seems to be a good thread for random baseball occurrences.

Andrew Susac was called up to the Giants on July 26, with one at bat on that day and his first major league hit on July 30.

But, on September 1, the Giants and Rockies completed a game that had been suspended on May 22. Susac got a hit in the completion of that game, so the record books say that his first major league appearance and major league hit were on May 22. I wonder if he has both balls on his mantel.
The last line? So many options. :lol: Must resist.

DHK: Since you did well with the Phillies question in the FJ Clues thread, here is another.

SPORTS MOVIES

No-No: A Dockumentary is about this man who pitched a no-hitter for the Pittsburgh Pirates in 1970
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

MarkBarrett wrote: SPORTS MOVIES

No-No: A Dockumentary is about this man who pitched a no-hitter for the Pittsburgh Pirates in 1970
That's always ranked as one of the weirdest stories in baseball for me.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

MarkBarrett wrote:The last line? So many options. :lol: Must resist.
I guess I, um, hung that one. (I'd like to say it was intentional, but it wasn't.)
alietr wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote: SPORTS MOVIES

That's always ranked as one of the weirdest stories in baseball for me.
Yep.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Sunday night (9/7) ABC is showing a 1-hour special called "The ABCs of Schoolhouse Rock" that will be of interest to Rex Kramer (would be his category on "The Experts") and others here. It will include a countdown of the top 5.

http://abc.go.com/shows/movies-and-spec ... house-rock
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote:Sunday night (9/7) ABC is showing a 1-hour special called "The ABCs of Schoolhouse Rock" that will be of interest to Rex Kramer (would be his category on "The Experts") and others here. It will include a countdown of the top 5.

Cool! Have to try to remember that!
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Wouldn't it be wonderful if there were some way for the TV to automatically record it so you wouldn't have to remember it? :)
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

econgator wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:Sunday night (9/7) ABC is showing a 1-hour special called "The ABCs of Schoolhouse Rock" that will be of interest to Rex Kramer (would be his category on "The Experts") and others here. It will include a countdown of the top 5.

Cool! Have to try to remember that!
Paucle wrote:Wouldn't it be wonderful if there were some way for the TV to automatically record it so you wouldn't have to remember it? :)
Done.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Volante

Post by Volante »

2015 MLB schedule released today, and like this year, no Cubs @ Angels. (2013 had a couple).
My options, if I'm going to bother, are San Diego in May or LA in August.

So...which one of you are the lesser of two evils? :|
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Volante wrote:2015 MLB schedule released today, and like this year, no Cubs @ Angels. (2013 had a couple).

Between rooting for the Cubbies or living in Anaheim? Whew, that's a toughie alright!
Volante

Post by Volante »

alietr wrote:
Volante wrote:2015 MLB schedule released today, and like this year, no Cubs @ Angels. (2013 had a couple).

Between rooting for the Cubbies or living in Anaheim? Whew, that's a toughie alright!
Well, Orange County. Anaheim's only a 15 min Metro ride away and it stops right at the stadium.
(To compare, SD is 2 hrs by Amtrak, LA 1.25 hrs by Metro...and there's still either a long walk or a shuttle ride to the park).
(No, I'm not driving it. If I'm going to see the Cubs, I have to bank as much sanity as I can on the way. :lol: )
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

Go in May when you still might think the Cubs could have good year.
OCSam
Volante

Post by Volante »

OrangeSAM wrote:

Cubs @ Padres is a fairer fight than Cubs @ Dodgers, too!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

OrangeSAM wrote:

You misspelled April.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

alietr wrote:
OrangeSAM wrote:

You misspelled April.
And you misspelled "next year".
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

There will probably only be a Cubs-at-Angels series once every 6 years. (If that -- MLB doesn't do as strict a rotation with interleague games as the NFL does with interconference games.)
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

NBC has a new sitcom under development about a group of friends who go to pub quizzes every week:

http://www.tvguide.com/News/NBC-Pub-Bar ... eakingnews
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide