Reretaken Down

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by OrangeSAM »

Bamaman wrote:I have one of those atomic clocks in the bedroom that shines the time on the ceiling. The first year I had it, I set my alarm just before 2:00 AM. That way I could be up and see the clock go straight from 1:59 to 3:00.

Yes, I'm that dorky.
I can match that dorkiness. Back in the day before atomic clocks, we once dialed the current time number on the phone to hear it change.
OCSam
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

OrangeSAM wrote:
Bamaman wrote:I have one of those atomic clocks in the bedroom that shines the time on the ceiling. The first year I had it, I set my alarm just before 2:00 AM. That way I could be up and see the clock go straight from 1:59 to 3:00.

Yes, I'm that dorky.
I can match that dorkiness. Back in the day before atomic clocks, we once dialed the current time number on the phone to hear it change.
Reminds me of a story my mom told of my twin cousins (now in their 30s with PhDs in some obscure engineering field, they're the closest to the Big Bang guys that I know in real life - one even lives in Pasadena now) when they were just a year or so old. They'd sit in front of their big digital grandfather clock in their living room and start chanting "Change! Change!" at about 50 seconds past the minute (amazing that they'd know instinctively when it's almost time) every minute.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
billy pilgrim
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by billy pilgrim »

Good article by recent champ Patrick Morrison.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/patrick-m ... 35627.html
She caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride.
barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by barandall800 »

OrangeSAM wrote:

Yes, I'm that dorky.
When I was up in Utah going to school, I got beyond excited when that happened (as the last time I'd lived in a place with DST was when I was 5 or so). When it came time for us to gain an hour, I was up Facebook chatting with someone and actually took a screenshot of how it changed from 1:59 to 1:00. :)

(ETA: Reverse those. I got excited about gaining an hour (because that came first, in November of my freshman year), and was amazed about the losing an hour, but not that thrilled about the whole "one less hour" thing. November was still the instance where I took a screenshot, though.)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

If Peyton Manning ends up going to SF, will that be the first time that a quarterback will be coached by the quarterback that he replaced? I'm guessing yes.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

econgator wrote:If Peyton Manning ends up going to SF, will that be the first time that a quarterback will be coached by the quarterback that he replaced? I'm guessing yes.
The list of regular starters at NFL quarterback that went on to become NFL head coaches is pretty darn short to begin with. Tom Flores, Jim Zorn, Jim Harbaugh...and that's about all that I know of. NFL head coaches with some success that once played quarterback in the NFL include Sean Payton, Jason Garrett, Gary Kubiak, Sam Wyche, and Ted Marchibroda. None of these men were ever regular starters, outside of one season for Marchibroda with the 1956 Steelers, and I'm sure there are others with the same story. Here's a nice tidbit about Marchibroda's playing career. In 1955 the Steelers kept him and cut a 9th round draft pick named...
Spoiler
Johnny Unitas!
Anyway, to answer your question, Tom Flores and Jim Zorn both could have coached the man who replaced them, if they had become head coaches a bit sooner. Flores became the Raiders' head coach in 1979, 5 years after Daryl Lamonica played his last game for the black and gold. Zorn was replaced as Seattle's QB by Dave Krieg, and even though it seemed like Krieg played forever, he had still been out of the league for 10 years by the time Zorn became the Redskins' head coach in 2008. I was assuming that you were asking about head coaches, because I'm guessing that this would be a lot more common if you consider offensive coordinators and quarterback coaches.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

jeff6286 wrote:Flores became the Raiders' head coach in 1979, 5 years after Daryl Lamonica played his last game for the black and gold.
Time to upgrade your TV set to color: the Raiders are silver and black. It's the hated Steelers who wear black and gold. Sensors at CalTech are picking up vibrations in the vicinity of Al Davis's grave, and you may receive a nighttime visit from the ghost of Jack Tatum.
In and out of the pool four times
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

reddpen wrote:
jeff6286 wrote:Flores became the Raiders' head coach in 1979, 5 years after Daryl Lamonica played his last game for the black and gold.
Time to upgrade your TV set to color: the Raiders are silver and black. It's the hated Steelers who wear black and gold. Sensors at CalTech are picking up vibrations in the vicinity of Al Davis's grave, and you may receive a nighttime visit from the ghost of Jack Tatum.
Well, maybe it's like Al Davis says; a Raider ain't got a soul of his own, just a piece of a big Raider soul. The one big Raider soul that belongs to every Raider fan--then it don't matter. I'll be all around in the dark uniform. I'll be everywhere, whenever you ain't lookin'. Wherever there's a receiver layin' out for a pass and he ain't lookin'. Wherever there's a fight so the other team can't score, I'll be there. Wherever there's a lineman beatin' up a Raider back, I'll be there. I'll be in the way guys yell at the refs whenever they're mad. I'll be in the way the crowd laughs when they're drunk and the hot dog man comes around. Whenever a fella's in the house of the Raiders and he's eatin' a hot dog, I'll be there. Whenever a fella says a Raider wears black and gold, I'll be there too.

-- Jack Tatum (ghost of)
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

The Saints wear black and gold. The Steelers my call their color gold, but it's still yellow.
HugoZ
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by HugoZ »

reddpen wrote:
Or a daytime visit from Jack Lambert, who stills roams the woods of rural Pennsylvania.
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

What do you get when you cross a Mennonite and a Jehovah's Witness? Would you believe . . . a war hero?

Rex
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

reddpen wrote:
Well, I did just point out in another thread that I am color blind, but I do know that the Raiders are silver and black while the Steelers are black and gold. I swear, Mr. Tatum and/or Mr. Lambert, it was an innocent mistake, and I meant no disrespect. :oops:
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Rex, thanks for always posting those for us. I can't think of a time where I didn't immediately click on it to read your latest (sagacious) offering.
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

Paucle wrote:Rex, thanks for always posting those for us. I can't think of a time where I didn't immediately click on it to read your latest (sagacious) offering.
Thank you, Paucle, for contributing to my growing performance anxiety. :)

Speaking of anxiety . . . find out what really makes me nervous in The Only Thing We Have To Fear.

Cheers!
Rex
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Rex Kramer wrote:
Paucle wrote:Rex, thanks for always posting those for us. I can't think of a time where I didn't immediately click on it to read your latest (sagacious) offering.
Thank you, Paucle, for contributing to my growing performance anxiety. :)
Well, just to make you feel better, I'll click on it later this time!
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

Special blog post today featuring dazzling visuals and unrelenting parental boasting: Portrait Of The Artist As A Young Girl

Cheers,
Rex
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

!!!

Fiona's work is amazing! :o
I almost wish you hadn't labelled that age 6 one and tried to get people to guess who it represented. I'll bet you'd've gotten better than a 50% hit.
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

Paucle wrote:!!!

Fiona's work is amazing! :o
I almost wish you hadn't labelled that age 6 one and tried to get people to guess who it represented. I'll bet you'd've gotten better than a 50% hit.
Thank you, Paucle.

I've always been especially amazed at that particular drawing -- I was driving somewhere with Fiona in the back seat and I offhandedly mentioned that couple, and she asked me who they were. I summarized the play, describing some of the swordplay and romance and of course the tragic ending. Fifteen minutes later, when we arrived at our destination, she passed that drawing up to me and asked if that's what they looked like.

Rex
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Rex Kramer wrote:Special blog post today featuring dazzling visuals and unrelenting parental boasting: Portrait Of The Artist As A Young Girl

Cheers,
Rex
Is "Hands" a photo? No, really ... it's good enough that I can't easily tell (and if it is a photo, I love its simplicity).
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

econgator wrote:
Rex Kramer wrote:Special blog post today featuring dazzling visuals and unrelenting parental boasting: Portrait Of The Artist As A Young Girl

Cheers,
Rex
Is "Hands" a photo? No, really ... it's good enough that I can't easily tell (and if it is a photo, I love its simplicity).
It is a photo -- Fiona noticed the quality of the twilight sky in the glare of the lights at a minor league baseball game last summer and staged the shot of her own hands. She gave the camera to me and told me where to point and when to press the shutter button. I thought she was being silly until the shot came out.

Rex