Reretaken Down

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alietr
Site Admin

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by alietr »

OrangeSAM wrote:
alietr wrote:For the record, the heads face kinda southeast.
And the rumps are roughly North by Northwest.
rcousine
Just Starting Out on JBoard

I have two Season 10 episodes for J-Archive...

Post by rcousine »

Sorry if I'm off-topic, but I didn't find an obvious other place to post this.

I have two episodes from Season 10 (1994, for sure, not certain about the airdates, but I should be able to find out) that I digitized from a long-lost tape for the friend who appeared on them.

So now, I have 2 complete episodes in the form of a nice 1 GB MPEG-4 file sitting around (hosted and ready for retrieval). Who, if anyone, can get them transcribed into J-Archive? What should I do with them next?

The quality is...adequate. The episodes are complete, and the sound is clear enough that both episodes should be fully transcribable.

PS: I'm not a deeply-versed Jeopardy! fan, but the triple-stumper final question in the second episode is one of the nastiest ones I have ever seen.
bpmod
Rank

Re: I have two Season 10 episodes for J-Archive...

Post by bpmod »

rcousine wrote:Sorry if I'm off-topic, but I didn't find an obvious other place to post this.

I have two episodes from Season 10 (1994, for sure, not certain about the airdates, but I should be able to find out) that I digitized from a long-lost tape for the friend who appeared on them.

So now, I have 2 complete episodes in the form of a nice 1 GB MPEG-4 file sitting around (hosted and ready for retrieval). Who, if anyone, can get them transcribed into J-Archive? What should I do with them next?

The quality is...adequate. The episodes are complete, and the sound is clear enough that both episodes should be fully transcribable.

PS: I'm not a deeply-versed Jeopardy! fan, but the triple-stumper final question in the second episode is one of the nastiest ones I have ever seen.
I can give you an upload link where you can put them so we have access. Or if you have them already uploaded somewhere where I can download them, that'll do too.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

rcousine wrote:PS: I'm not a deeply-versed Jeopardy! fan, but the triple-stumper final question in the second episode is one of the nastiest ones I have ever seen.
That's quite the tease. How about giving us a transcription of the FJ clue in question?
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

jeff6286 wrote:
rcousine wrote:PS: I'm not a deeply-versed Jeopardy! fan, but the triple-stumper final question in the second episode is one of the nastiest ones I have ever seen.
That's quite the tease. How about giving us a transcription of the FJ clue in question?
You mean you don't know that one offhand?

It's the one about the first day of the 20th century. Easy as pie, and, mind-bogglingly a triple-stumper.

At least, that's what I assume he is talking about.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I assume he's talking about the second unarchived episode that he has digitized.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

seaborgium wrote:I assume he's talking about the second unarchived episode that he has digitized.
OK. In that case, it is a tease.

The one I thought he was referring to most certainly isn't nasty.

Brian

jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

seaborgium wrote:I assume he's talking about the second unarchived episode that he has digitized.
Ah, thank you. I was completely baffled as to what Brian was talking about, or how he could know what FJ clue the poster was referring to if the games are not Archived.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

jeff6286 wrote:
Ah, thank you. I was completely baffled as to what Brian was talking about, or how he could know what FJ clue the poster was referring to if the games are not Archived.
He didn't say "the second game have digitized". That's why I went for the infamous TS on episode 2.

Brian

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

bpmod wrote:
jeff6286 wrote:
You mean you don't know that one offhand?

It's the one about the first day of the 20th century. Easy as pie, and, mind-bogglingly a triple-stumper.

At least, that's what I assume he is talking about.

Brian
There was a lot of :o ngly TSes in the early days of the show. And even more :o ngly wagers (The episode 2 FJ happens to be the perfect storm of both).
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
rcousine
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by rcousine »

OK, maybe a bit of a tease! Here was the Final Jeopardy!

Category: 1994

Clue: "James Gregory, a former Robben Island warden, was an invited guest at this May 10, 1994 event."

(arguably would have been easier back then, since it was 1994; I think the show aired in October).

Correct response:
Spoiler
"What is the inaguration of Nelson Mandela?" (Gregory having befriended him while Mandela was imprisoned there)
I do indeed already have the show uploaded, if someone can PM me or better yet, email me at rcousine@ Google's mail service, I'll send the URL along and you can download the show. (.M4V format, sound is lousy for the first 60 seconds or so, then less lousy, most of the commercials clipped out, except the really funny ones. Hilariously, both shows had ads for "Quiz Show", which was in theatres at the time).
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

67 Across in today's NYT crossword will be of interest to people here.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

rcousine wrote:OK, maybe a bit of a tease! Here was the Final Jeopardy!

Clue: "James Gregory, a former Robben Island warden, was an invited guest at this May 10, 1994 event."

(arguably would have been easier back then, since it was 1994; I think the show aired in October).

Correct response:
Spoiler
"What is the inaguration of Nelson Mandela?" (Gregory having befriended him while Mandela was imprisoned there)
What's nasty about that? Robben Island is a huge TOM for the correct answer and 1994 gives you the correct time frame.
kickerofelves
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by kickerofelves »

Woof wrote:What's nasty about that? Robben Island is a huge TOM for the correct answer...
...sure, if you know what Robben Island is. ;)

-a.
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

Woof wrote:

Correct response:
Spoiler
What's nasty about that? Robben Island is a huge TOM for the correct answer and 1994 gives you the correct time frame.
Nah, I agree with Woof. This is basic recent history and not a cause for deep thought.
Woof

Post by Woof »

bomtr wrote:
Woof wrote: What's nasty about that? Robben Island is a huge TOM for the correct answer and 1994 gives you the correct time frame.
Nah, I agree with Woof. This is basic recent history and not a cause for deep thought.
One reason the name is indelible for me is that in the last World Cup competition in South Africa the star player for one of teams contending for the title (Netherlands) was named Robben and I wondered how the South African fans would react to that infamous name. :twisted:
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Woof wrote: I wondered how the South African fans would react to that infamous name.
You're asking that of people who are not at all bothered by the annoying drone of vuvuzelas?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

dhkendall wrote:
There was a lot of :o ngly TSes in the early days of the show. And even more :o ngly wagers (The episode 2 FJ happens to be the perfect storm of both).
Which had pretty much the same FJ as the one Brian was referring to. In the early days, they had an FJ about when centuries begin about once a season. For some reason, people seemed to have trouble with those clues a lot.

As for the other one, I don't see it as that hard. I opened the thread on the last post and saw what country it was referring to, so it spoiled the clue for me. The island's name drew a blank for me. I did know he was in a prison on an island, so I might have figured it out anyway.

Also, this was from a game in 1994, so his inauguration would have been fresh news and the island's name might have clicked with me if I'd seen the game live.
Woof

Post by Woof »

Paucle wrote:
Woof wrote: I wondered how the South African fans would react to that infamous name.
You're asking that of people who are not at all bothered by the annoying drone of vuvuzelas?
Maybe the vuvuzelas were their response to Robben's name?
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

bomtr wrote:
Woof wrote:

Correct response:
Spoiler
A big problem I have with the question is how it's both very specific and yet very vague.
Spoiler
For example, would "South Africa's presidential inauguration" have been acceptable? "Mandela's swearing in?"
How much data does the response need to contain?
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)