Reretaken Down

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by dhkendall »

Vanya wrote:Message from Google... "#Google will largely outsource moderation."

I wish I could outsource my (need for) moderation.
Rest assured, fellow humans, rest, that will not be jboard.tv outsourcing their restraint.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

From Apple: "iPad protection has a new name."

It can even do that!
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:Anyone who hasn't spent some time getting to know Get Fuzzy is really missing out. It's the one strip I've seen in the last 20 years that consistently makes me laugh out loud.
It would make me laugh out loud a lot more often if it weren't perpetually in reruns 6 days a week. (I don't think I've ever read an explanation -- if it's been officially announced that Darby Conley is no longer doing the daily strip, I don't remember seeing that.)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I've decided to move on to bigger and better things.
Attachments
Andy White House.jpg
Andy White House.jpg (61.43 KiB) Viewed 3853 times
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

alietr wrote:I've decided to move on to bigger and better things.
Lanyard photo model?
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Volante wrote:
alietr wrote:I've decided to move on to bigger and better things.
Lanyard photo model?
As one of my friends so aptly put it, Ruby Tuesday hostess.
irene
Valued Contributor

Post by irene »

Amazing feat?:
http://theweek.com/speedreads/567572/ma ... ord-french

Yes, but...
That is what bugs me about Scrabble and always has. To just memorize a list of words somehow cheapens the game, IMO. I think at some level a player should know what the majority of the words he/she plays, mean.
I really like Scrabble and play a bit and am able to beat most of my friends, but I would never memorize a list of words (except the 2-letter words) to up my game. Oh, and maybe the words that begin with Q without the U.
I realize there is more to the game of Scrabble than just rote memorization and I don't have that kind of memory anyway, but that is not the point.
FireAntsDefense
This is the Big One

Post by FireAntsDefense »

irene wrote:Amazing feat?:
http://theweek.com/speedreads/567572/ma ... ord-french

Yes, but...
That is what bugs me about Scrabble and always has. To just memorize a list of words somehow cheapens the game, IMO. I think at some level a player should know what the majority of the words he/she plays, mean.
I really like Scrabble and play a bit and am able to beat most of my friends, but I would never memorize a list of words (except the 2-letter words) to up my game. Oh, and maybe the words that begin with Q without the U.
I realize there is more to the game of Scrabble than just rote memorization and I don't have that kind of memory anyway, but that is not the point.
I memorized a bunch of things for the express purpose of bettering the way I played J!, and I kinda know what you mean. But I will admit I have memorized words for Scrabble and didn't feel the need to shower afterward.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Stupid human tricks?
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

FireAntsDefense wrote:I memorized a bunch of things for the express purpose of bettering the way I played J!, and I kinda know what you mean.
Yeah, but what good did it do you? It's not like you're the Scrabble champion of France or anything.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

From a Wikipedia article on Lynn Johnston, author of the comic strip "For Better or For Worse":

"The 'new' material was actually reworked versions of older strips with retouched artwork and new dialogue that was sometimes only tweaked to use modern expressions or product names in place of older ones."

So there's precedent.

Rex
Budphrey
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Budphrey »

trainman wrote:
BigDaddyMatty wrote:Anyone who hasn't spent some time getting to know Get Fuzzy is really missing out. It's the one strip I've seen in the last 20 years that consistently makes me laugh out loud.
It would make me laugh out loud a lot more often if it weren't perpetually in reruns 6 days a week.
Kind of like Doonesbury?

I will have to say I found Get Fuzzy a lot funnier back when I actually had cats.
Poo-tee-weet? So it goes.
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

hubris.png
hubris.png (75.94 KiB) Viewed 3438 times
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Courtesy of The Final Wager (and I promise not to do this):

https://youtu.be/55ZIlSjRwKQ
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

alietr wrote:Courtesy of The Final Wager (and I promise not to do this):
My wife didn't let me do this. Still wondering why I married her.

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

dhkendall wrote:It's still early, but I hope this lasts for a while:

(This was somewhat buoyed by the fact that when I caught up on Sploofusing that I missed due to the audition I got each and every one of them right! (Including several lucky guesses). This is a trend that hasn't happened before!
How did the month end up? Hope at least one boardie made the top 10. ;)
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

MarkBarrett wrote:
dhkendall wrote:It's still early, but I hope this lasts for a while:

(This was somewhat buoyed by the fact that when I caught up on Sploofusing that I missed due to the audition I got each and every one of them right! (Including several lucky guesses). This is a trend that hasn't happened before!
How did the month end up? Hope at least one boardie made the top 10. ;)
Yeah, one did. :evil:

But hey, I can't complain at all about 12th place, that's pretty darn good for me! Got all of July's questions except 3 of them (first miss was on July 25, so that in itself ... )

August is back to par for the course. 0/1 so far ...

jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

I had never signed up for Sploofus before, but after seeing Mark's post just hours into August, I figured it was a good time to give it a try. My strategy of answering shortly after midnight has given me a top 3 ranking after I answered each of the first two questions, then get to sit back and watch people pass me all day long. Would I be correct that the question level has no affect on your score for each question? I can't find an explanation of this anywhere on the site, but I have to assume that everyone is on a level playing field for the Question of the Day, right? I answered the first day's question pretty fast, and cheezguyty's score was seemingly miles better than mine.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

jeff6286 wrote:I had never signed up for Sploofus before, but after seeing Mark's post just hours into August, I figured it was a good time to give it a try. My strategy of answering shortly after midnight has given me a top 3 ranking after I answered each of the first two questions, then get to sit back and watch people pass me all day long. Would I be correct that the question level has no affect on your score for each question? I can't find an explanation of this anywhere on the site, but I have to assume that everyone is on a level playing field for the Question of the Day, right? I answered the first day's question pretty fast, and cheezguyty's score was seemingly miles better than mine.
I've noticed not everyone gets the same question. I think only people on the exact same level as you get your question.