Reretaken Down

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by barandall800 »

Volante wrote:This year's Oscar telecast is going to be fighting against No Country For Old Men's year for lowest Nielsen ever...

They can have up to 10 nominations, they ended with 9...would it have killed them to throw HP8 on there? Something that, you know, people actually went to watch? (It also didn't suck.) (It is depressing that the best showing feature on the list, and the only one over $100 mil was THE (@&(*&! HELP.)

Although, props for AMPAS remembering films exist before fall...two of the films were released in May. MAY!! Everyone talking about "shocks" with these nominations...THAT's the biggest shock to me. One more time: MAY!
Amen on the HP snub. I had a feeling the Alan Rickman-for-Supporting train was a lost cause, but they could have at least thrown it a bone for Best Picture, or something. I mean, they piled all the awards they could on Return of the King, and that was only the end of a trilogy. This was EIGHT critically-acclaimed films. Ugh.

Also, don't even get me started on the Original Song category this year. 39 songs were eligible. Quite a few of them were good. The number of nominees?

Two. I have no words.

(ETA: Personally, I loved "The Help.")
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

barandall800 wrote:This was EIGHT critically-acclaimed films. Ugh.
Sorry, the only Harry Potter movie worthy of Oscar consideration was Prisoner of Azkaban. It was a work of art; the others were drawn in crayon.

Rex
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

Rex Kramer wrote:
barandall800 wrote:This was EIGHT critically acclaimed films. Ugh.
Sorry, the only Harry Potter movie worthy of Oscar consideration was Prisoner of Azkaban. It was a work of art; the others were drawn in crayon.

Rex
Hear, hear! (Azkaban is by far my favorite; not sure I'd be quite so dismissive of ALL the others, but they were surely not all critically acclaimed.)

Also, I've removed the erroneous hyphen from Brandon's quote above, without, I hope, being too snippy about it... except for the snippage.
In and out of the pool four times
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Rex Kramer wrote:

Rex
More Oscar worthy than oh, let's see what my whipping movie will be this year... ahh, I'll take the easy way out: Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close.

Look, we all know it's going to come down to The Artist or The Descendents. I'm rooting for Hugo, personally, but I'm also a Cubs fan. We've got 10 slots available! Don't treat it like a bloody Baseball Hall of Fame ballot, use all stinkin 10. If that means throwing in a crowd pleaser or two, so be it! I knew Inception wouldn't win last year, but it was damn nice of them to include it, and I rooted for it til the bitter end. (Damn that hope rising Cinematography award!)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by barandall800 »

Volante wrote:
Rex Kramer wrote:

Rex
More Oscar worthy than oh, let's see what my whipping movie will be this year... ahh, I'll take the easy way out: Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close.

Look, we all know it's going to come down to The Artist or The Descendents. I'm rooting for Hugo, personally, but I'm also a Cubs fan. We've got 10 slots available! Don't treat it like a bloody Baseball Hall of Fame ballot, use all stinkin 10. If that means throwing in a crowd pleaser or two, so be it! I knew Inception wouldn't win last year, but it was damn nice of them to include it, and I rooted for it til the bitter end. (Damn that hope rising Cinematography award!)
HitFix, my favorite Oscar prognostication website as of late, has "Hugo" as much more of a frontrunner to match "The Artist" than "The Descendants." (The fact that it scored 11 nominations, while "The Descendants" only earned 5, is interesting.) I'm a huge "Artist" fan myself, after seeing it last week. And I suppose "critically acclaimed" might be a bit of a stretch...but they've all been fairly well-received, and the last film had tons of positive reviews. My personal order of preference: 8, 7, 6, 5, 3, 2, 1, 4. (Yep, I'm a big Yates fan. While the sixth took a few nagging liberties w/the book, I loved the film overall. The 3rd really grew on me, I hated it at first. I hated the 4th at first too...and still do. Such a mess of a movie, though not without some fun moments.)

I was with you last year on "Inception," though I actually had a real contender to root for last year too..."The Social Network."

I'm one of the people that still wants to see "Extremely Loud," but even I'm wondering why it's on the BP list.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

I see nothing above that doesn't make me happy that I completely ignore the Oscars year after year.
Volante

Post by Volante »

barandall800 wrote: HitFix, my favorite Oscar prognostication website as of late, has "Hugo" as much more of a frontrunner to match "The Artist" than "The Descendants." (The fact that it scored 11 nominations, while "The Descendants" only earned 5, is interesting.)
They share the big ones though (Picture/Director/Adapted Screenplay)

Most of the rest are just technicals for Hugo. Art Direction, Costume Design, Visual Effects, ones you wouldn't expect for a film like Descendants anyway. And those technicals can add up: Inception was the 2nd biggest winner of the last Oscars, remember? (No, you don't remember! :lol: ) Four wins to King's Speech's five...but those four were all technicals.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

econgator wrote:I see nothing above that doesn't make me happy that I completely ignore the Oscars year after year.
I'm there with you, although every day at 4:30 (or, more precisely, when I watch my tape of J!, as I'm coming home from work at 4:30) I wish I knew more about the Oscars, Oscar history, etc.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

reddpen wrote:
Rex Kramer wrote:Sorry, the only Harry Potter movie worthy of Oscar consideration was Prisoner of Azkaban. It was a work of art; the others were drawn in crayon.

Rex
Hear, hear! (Azkaban is by far my favorite; not sure I'd be quite so dismissive of ALL the others, but they were surely not all critically acclaimed.)
I didn't mean to be dismissive; most of the rest are worth at least one viewing (unless you've read the books, in which case Order of the Phoenix and Half-Blood Prince feel more like animated Cliffs Notes than actual films). But Azkaban is the only one that feels original, which, ironically, also makes it truer than any of the others to its source material.

Rex
Volante

Post by Volante »

Rex Kramer wrote:
reddpen wrote:
Rex Kramer wrote:Sorry, the only Harry Potter movie worthy of Oscar consideration was Prisoner of Azkaban. It was a work of art; the others were drawn in crayon.

Rex
I didn't mean to be dismissive; most of the rest are worth at least one viewing (unless you've read the books, in which case Order of the Phoenix and Half-Blood Prince feel more like animated Cliffs Notes than actual films). But Azkaban is the only one that feels original, which, ironically, also makes it truer than any of the others to its source material.

Rex
Well, they did hire a *real* director for Azkaban. And coming after Chris Columbus's stilted camera-bolted-to-the-floor technique, it was a revelation. (Seriously, could that chess scene in #1 have been any less suspensefully directed? Maybe, but I doubt it...)
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Vanya wrote:
OrangeSAM wrote:
dhkendall wrote:(CSIS)
Not Crime Scene Investigation: Saskatoon??
So that's where Marg Helgenberger is going.
Dammit, I was hoping it was CSI: Nudist Colony
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

econgator wrote:I see nothing above that doesn't make me happy that I completely ignore the Oscars year after year.
I haven't been to a movie theater in well over a year (2 years?) I've heard of 6 of the 9 BP nominees, at least kinda know what 3 are about, and have seen 1 (Moneyball.)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Of the main Oscar nominees.....

I have heard of......
Three of the movies
Two directors
Three Best Actors
Two Best Actresses
Four Supporting Actors
One Supporting Actress (Only because I watch Mike and Molly)
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

...and a partridge in a pear tree.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Vanya wrote:I can't give the damned thing away.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300651975274?ss ... 1562.l2649
Powell's didn't want it either. "But it's signed by the author," I said. "Doesn't matter," they said. LOL.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

The USA Today had an article mentioning some Oscar trivia today. Relevant to J! could be:

Moneyball first baseball-centric best picture nominee since Field of Dreams

Two boxing pictures have won: Rocky and Million Dollar Baby

Woody Allen and Scorsese now each have 7 noms for best director and one win each (Annie Hall/The Departed)

William Wyler has director record with 12 noms

Aaron Sorkin for adapted screenplay could two peat with a Moneyball/Social Network exacta - Other doubles are Joseph Mankiewicz (A Letter to Three Wives/All About Eve in 49-50) and Robert Bolt (Doctor Zhivago/A Man for All Seasons 65-66)

Kristen Wiig (Bridesmaids original screenplay) is first SNL to be nominated while current cast member - Murray, Murphy, McKean, Downey Jr., Aykroyd and Joan Cusack got nods after being regulars. Randy Quaid got a nom before joining the cast

John Williams is most nominated living person (2nd most after Disney) made it 47 thanks to Tin Tin and War Horse. Williams won 5 times with 3 being Spielbergs (Jaws, E.T., and Schindler's List)

Whew just got it done before Idol starts. Sorry for the rush job and hope there's not too many typos.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

So, dave, what did you think of the show last night? Did you ace Sheldon's quiz? I knew the one about the non-rectangular flag, but that was it. didn't know the bit about Oregon, Andorra or any of the others.

And was that story about Haiti and Liechtenstein true? Wikipedia says it was, but it also does not list Haiti as being in the 1936 Olympics.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Dave missed the rest of the show as he was trying to convince his wife to dress up as a pretzel.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »