Reretaken Down

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

dinghammer
No Relation

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by dinghammer »

I know there are one or two Weird Al fans here. In case you don't already know, Weird is on tonight's $100,000 Pyramid.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

So I just finished watching Fastball off Netflix and got stung by the nostalgia bug so I decided to look through my memorabilia box.

Notable depressing finds: a Disneyland ticket from 1996: $32. TWA wings that used a pin (the United wings I found had adhesive). Pogs. A Chicago Cubs ticket order form for the 1995 season: Field Box seats for $19, discount days, $11! :shock:

Also found: a paper Canadian $2 and 2x $1s.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Saw a t-shirt yesterday that reminded me of some recent J! categories:
20160720_183154[1].jpg
20160720_183154[1].jpg (64.63 KiB) Viewed 3468 times
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

In 2012, I went to a 15-inning game at Busch, Cardinals lost to the Royals. I couldn't stay for the whole thing because I had somewhere else to be.

I just got home from a 16-inning game that the Cardinals won. At 5:10 (it ended at 12:25 AM), it's now the longest game in both innings and time at Busch III. I'm glad I stuck it out. I have a rehearsal in less than seven hours so I should probably go to sleep, but I'm still a bit wound up.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Linear Gnome wrote:In 2012, I went to a 15-inning game at Busch, Cardinals lost to the Royals. I couldn't stay for the whole thing because I had somewhere else to be.

I just got home from a 16-inning game that the Cardinals won. At 5:10 (it ended at 12:25 AM), it's now the longest game in both innings and time at Busch III. I'm glad I stuck it out. I have a rehearsal in less than seven hours so I should probably go to sleep, but I'm still a bit wound up.
A walk-off shot is a nice reward for staying until the end. It never should have got that far as Jansen (5th BS of the season) could not do his job and get three outs for LA. I expect the Cards to sweep now and end the weekend as the #1 wildcard team.
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

MarkBarrett wrote:
Linear Gnome wrote:In 2012, I went to a 15-inning game at Busch, Cardinals lost to the Royals. I couldn't stay for the whole thing because I had somewhere else to be.

A walk-off shot is a nice reward for staying until the end. It never should have got that far as Jansen (5th BS of the season) could not do his job and get three outs for LA. I expect the Cards to sweep now and end the weekend as the #1 wildcard team.
I'm a grown man, and I'd probably accept the experience of staying at the ballpark deep into extra innings about as well as this kid.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

The game didn't turn out the way I was hoping, but that's cool that you got to be a part of it. The talk on the Dodgers broadcast was about the fact that today is Nomar Garciaparra's birthday (Nomar does color commentary for the Dodgers on road games as Vin and his one-man booth no longer travel) and his birthday wish was for two Dodgers victories on the same day. So much for that.

When my wife and I were on an apartment-hunting trip to LA back in 2009, we attended 14-inning games at both Dodger Stadium and Petco Park. My most vivid memory of the games was an usher at Petco trying to give my then-pregnant wife and me a hard time about moving down from the upper deck in the 12th inning. Really, lady? It's midnight, the upper deck is freezing from the marine air, and there are less than 5,000 people in this stadium, employees included. But I digress.
Sprinkles are for winners.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

alietr wrote:Saw a t-shirt yesterday that reminded me of some recent J! categories:
20160720_183154[1].jpg
I'm sure that shirt is also available in black and white, but none of the classic colours of the rainbow.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

dhkendall wrote:
alietr wrote:Saw a t-shirt yesterday that reminded me of some recent J! categories:
20160720_183154[1].jpg
I'm sure that shirt is also available in black and white, but none of the classic colours of the rainbow.
It works for at least one. Orange you sorry I checked.
OCSam
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

OrangeSAM wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
20160720_183154[1].jpg
It works for at least one. Orange you sorry I checked.
I checked too, but forgot about ORa instead of OrAn. (And I figured it'd be you who would find that one.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:When my wife and I were on an apartment-hunting trip to LA back in 2009, we attended 14-inning games at both Dodger Stadium and Petco Park. My most vivid memory of the games was an usher at Petco trying to give my then-pregnant wife and me a hard time about moving down from the upper deck in the 12th inning. Really, lady? It's midnight, the upper deck is freezing from the marine air, and there are less than 5,000 people in this stadium, employees included. But I digress.
Sounds to me as if the usher either was on a power trip or was taking her training a bit too literally.

Because of the rainout on Tuesday that was made up in a doubleheader on Wednesday, Carlos Martinez is unavailable to start today; because of the 16-inning game, our long reliever cannot make a spot start. So the Cardinals' starter for the rubber game of the series, the Sunday night game of the world, will be Mike Mayers, making his major league debut. No pressure! Incidentally, this will be the first game this season not to be started by one of the five original starters, which is pretty remarkable this late in the season.

Random comment: I took a tour of Dodger Stadium last Saturday. (Picture spoilered for size.)
Spoiler
mediaroom.jpg
mediaroom.jpg (128.55 KiB) Viewed 3310 times
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

Apparently, Mike Mayers is not a major league pitcher. He will return to Memphis with an ERA of 60.75.
BigDaddyMatty

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Ilene, you will appreciate this conversation I had last night with a friend who is a big Cards fan:
Me: With tonight's victory, the Dodgers are 1,021-1,019 lifetime against the Cardinals.
Him: In World Series victories, the Cardinals lead the Dodgers 11-6.
Me: That's cold.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

MarkBarrett wrote:
I thought the Dodgers would be demoralized after the blown save loss on Friday night. What I did not realize at the time was the perfect recover remedy was there on Saturday with Mike Leake pitching for the Cards.

The gift continued tonight putting Mayers in the prime time ESPN spot. It was funny that the Dodgers allowed STL to get close enough to make it a save situation for Jansen.

The NL West is always fun with tighter standings instead of one team running away. 9 more games between SF & LA to look forward to later in the season.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

My brothers know him better than I do, but the new Oakland A's player Ryon Healy is connected to the summer day camp where I work. His aunt runs the place, and his mom has worked there in various capacities over the years. He and his sisters have been campers there as well. Everyone's pretty excited about how things are going for him.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

*blink* Cubs are going all in this year.
http://m.mlb.com/news/article/191611658 ... m-yankees/

If you're not familiar with Aroldis Chapman, he's the player who broke Statcast last year and they had to make a custom filter:
http://m.mlb.com/statcast/leaderboard#pitch-velo
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Volante wrote:If you're not familiar with Aroldis Chapman, he's the player who broke Statcast last year and they had to make a custom filter:
At least this year, there is someone else in the top 60.
BigDaddyMatty

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Volante wrote:*blink* Cubs are going all in this year.

If you're not familiar with Aroldis Chapman, he's the player who broke Statcast last year and they had to make a custom filter:
Very interesting that of his pitches 104.0 mph and above, only 4/13 have been strikes, as opposed to 24/31 on pitches from 102.8-103.9 mph. It's a small sample size, but it suggests that the top end of Chapman's range may not be a benefit to him. He probably doesn't have much control at those speeds, and he can't really fool hitters because they don't have the reaction time to decide to swing.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:

Very interesting that of his pitches 104.0 mph and above, only 4/13 have been strikes, as opposed to 24/31 on pitches from 102.8-103.9 mph. It's a small sample size, but it suggests that the top end of Chapman's range may not be a benefit to him. He probably doesn't have much control at those speeds, and he can't really fool hitters because they don't have the reaction time to decide to swing.
I wonder if that's common. It wouldn't surprise me to find that most pitchers are less accurate at their top end.
BigDaddyMatty

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

opusthepenguin wrote:
BigDaddyMatty wrote:

I wonder if that's common. It wouldn't surprise me to find that most pitchers are less accurate at their top end.
I imagine it is, but a guy throwing unpredictably at 98 is likely to get a lot of swings and misses. At 105, a lot of hitters are just gonna let it go by.