Reretaken Down

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Vanya
The support is non-zero

Re: John Nash dead at 86

Post by Vanya »

ihavejeoprosy wrote:
stephanie wrote:
:(

I am terribly saddened by this news. I honestly thought the poor man would just go with age. And his wife, also. I am forever grateful to have seen Nash in person some years back when he gave a lecture at the University here.
I wonder how he worked out his game theory calculation for not wearing a seatbelt.
I find this post extremely insensitive.
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Another J!-inspired marriage

Post by Vermonter »

Not nearly as compelling as Schliemann's story, but it's always nice when success on J! is reaffirmed as something to aspire to…

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/24/style ... -alex.html
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by MarkBarrett »

The Stanley Cup Final begins tonight at 5 Pacific on NBC. That won't matter for the majority of J! watchers, but may affect some viewers getting tonight's episode of J! at the usual time. The next weekday hockey game on NBC would not be until game 6 on June 15.

The NBA Finals begin tomorrow on ABC, so that will affect many viewers in the west who will not see J! at the usual time. KGO is showing J! at 10:30.

Next week it's T & Th for the same pattern on June 9 & 11. Game 6 (and there will be one) will be on Tuesday, June 16. If the series goes to 7 games then that would be on Friday the 19th.

Set your recording devices as necessary.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Another J!-inspired marriage

Post by Robert K S »

Vermonter wrote:Not nearly as compelling as Schliemann's story, but it's always nice when success on J! is reaffirmed as something to aspire to…

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/24/style ... -alex.html
Last paragraph, reworded: "The groom is a skilled Googlestalker..." :D
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

Is anyone else excited about switch pitcher Pat Venditte being called up to the big leagues?

This is what his glove looks like:

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Linear Gnome wrote:Is anyone else excited about switch pitcher Pat Venditte being called up to the big leagues?

This is what his glove looks like:

http://screengrabber.deadspin.com/pat-v ... 1709442520

3rd clip is awesome. Swihart knows exactly what Vendiette's doing and everyone else is all WTF?
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The announcer: "...smaht in this ballpahk."

The A's pitcher reminds me of Dick Van Dyke playing a pitcher (Hank Lumpkin) who threw both ways in the "Hillbilly Whiz" episode of The Phil Silvers Show.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Volante wrote:Swihart knows exactly what Vendiette's doing and everyone else is all WTF?
Seems like switch-hitters now need to have a double-earflap helmet at the ready when they play the A's, to avoid a walk back to the dugout.
Volante

Post by Volante »

trainman wrote:
Volante wrote:Swihart knows exactly what Vendiette's doing and everyone else is all WTF?
Seems like switch-hitters now need to have a double-earflap helmet at the ready when they play the A's, to avoid a walk back to the dugout.
Likely won't happen. Tho maybe they'll instruct the ball boy to have the alternate in hand close by.

Anyway, game time is faster this year than last; I'm okay with a little novelty delay. If it becomes a regular issue, we'll see.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

Volante wrote:
trainman wrote:
Likely won't happen. Tho maybe they'll instruct the ball boy to have the alternate in hand close by.

Anyway, game time is faster this year than last; I'm okay with a little novelty delay. If it becomes a regular issue, we'll see.
Against a switch-hitter, the switch-pitcher has to commit to one side for the entire plate appearance.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
Volante

Post by Volante »

silverscreentest wrote: Against a switch-hitter, the switch-pitcher has to commit to one side for the entire plate appearance.
Yes, but that doesn't prevent a switch hitter coming to the plate before the pitcher decides with the wrong helmet on then having to get the right one.

But, I imagine that'd happen so rarely that I'd rather the hitter stick to their routine with the helmet they want. (I can't get Baseball Reference data because their search feature requires a paid subscription, but other sources lead me to believe that around only 60 players out of 750 on the active roster can switch hit.)
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

An important piece of the Trivia Canon will now need to be rewritten. Affirmed in 1978, you are now condemned to the dustbin of history.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

9021amyers wrote:An important piece of the Trivia Canon will now need to be rewritten. Affirmed in 1978, you are now condemned to the dustbin of history.
http://www.j-archive.com/search.php?sea ... mit=Search

Affirmed won without ear plugs. :)

When J! does use American Pharoah let's hope it's the FJ! round so we can see the misspellings.
Volante

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote:
9021amyers wrote:An important piece of the Trivia Canon will now need to be rewritten. Affirmed in 1978, you are now condemned to the dustbin of history.
http://www.j-archive.com/search.php?sea ... mit=Search

Affirmed won without ear plugs. :)

When J! does use American Pharoah let's hope it's the FJ! round so we can see the misspellings.
American Faroe! :lol:
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

The end of the steroid era in baseball ruined my favorite piece of sports trivia: until 2008, the last player to lead his league in home runs while hitting less than 40 was Fred McGriff in both the American and National leagues. Now nobody gets to 40 homers in a year, and I don't know who the best players in baseball are.

I miss knowing that more than I'm going to miss knowing Affirmed.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

9021amyers wrote:The end of the steroid era in baseball ruined my favorite piece of sports trivia: until 2008, the last player to lead his league in home runs while hitting less than 40 was Fred McGriff in both the American and National leagues. Now nobody gets to 40 homers in a year, and I don't know who the best players in baseball are.

At least the city of Cleveland not winning a championship since 1964 is not going to change. My wish is for the Bills to be alone as the 0-4 Super Bowl team.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

MarkBarrett wrote:My wish is for the Bills to be alone as the 0-4 Super Bowl team.
One of my coworkers called them the BiLLLLs.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

MarkBarrett wrote:...My wish is for the Bills to be alone as the 0-4 Super Bowl team.
Keep dreaming, Mark. I don't think it's gonna happen this year.
OCSam
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

MarkBarrett wrote:
9021amyers wrote:The end of the steroid era in baseball ruined my favorite piece of sports trivia: until 2008, the last player to lead his league in home runs while hitting less than 40 was Fred McGriff in both the American and National leagues. Now nobody gets to 40 homers in a year, and I don't know who the best players in baseball are.

At least the city of Cleveland not winning a championship since 1964 is not going to change. My wish is for the Bills to be alone as the 0-4 Super Bowl team.
What about the Vikings? They might not have them in a row like my Bills do, but they are 0-4 as well.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.