Reretaken Down

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

billy pilgrim
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by billy pilgrim »

She caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Seconded. Sounds like everyone had a lot of fun, and probably nobody moreso than DrJ!
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

This actually might prove to be a good Jeopardy study guide for somebody.

http://flavorwire.com/newswire/a-visual ... -tragedies
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
jeopardyfan87
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jeopardyfan87 »

Has there ever been a game of J! without a Final Jeopardy at all?

Or has there been a game where during FJ a contestant's screen was completely blank and never wrote down anything?

I know on some episodes where all a contestant wrote would be "WHO" or "WHAT".
ComingUpMilhouse
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by ComingUpMilhouse »

jeopardyfan87 wrote:Has there ever been a game of J! without a Final Jeopardy at all?

Or has there been a game where during FJ a contestant's screen was completely blank and never wrote down anything?

The contestant coordinators have you write down either "who" or "what" before the clue is revealed, so you won't see a totally blank screen (unless this happened before they started doing that).
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

jeopardyfan87 wrote:Has there ever been a game of J! without a Final Jeopardy at all?
Yes, but back in the Fleming era. The word is that Art spent the FJ time chatting with the players.
jeopardyfan87 wrote:Or has there been a game where during FJ a contestant's screen was completely blank and never wrote down anything?

I think nowadays they don't fproceed with FJ until the "Who is" or "What are" is written down (they write that down first, during the commercial break, before the question is given.) I believe this is because, in an early game (one of our resident historians will be able to tell which one and possibly link to the Archive version of it) a contestant didn't write down the "Who is" part of their FJ question and got negged for improper phrasing, prompting the current rule.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
ComingUpMilhouse
Jeopardy! Champion

dhkendall wrote:
Yes, but back in the Fleming era. The word is that Art spent the FJ time chatting with the players.
jeopardyfan87 wrote:Or has there been a game where during FJ a contestant's screen was completely blank and never wrote down anything?

I think nowadays they don't fproceed with FJ until the "Who is" or "What are" is written down (they write that down first, during the commercial break, before the question is given.) I believe this is because, in an early game (one of our resident historians will be able to tell which one and possibly link to the Archive version of it) a contestant didn't write down the "Who is" part of their FJ question and got negged for improper phrasing, prompting the current rule.
They only give you the question word, not the verb. Maybe they think the verb would be too much help? The coordinators tell you that you should write the verb down first once Alex starts reading, but it's not actually required (I think some of Colby's teacher's tournament games had FJ answers without the verb).
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

dhkendall wrote:

Only the pronoun is pre-written, no verb. And I don't think it was a single event that prompted them to adopt the pre-writing practice; the one occurrence of someone losing a game for not phrasing that I know of is a clip on youtube that I hear comes from New Year's 1986, and I think Alex was reminding contestants to remember their phrasing well into the '90s.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

ComingUpMilhouse wrote:They only give you the question word, not the verb. Maybe they think the verb would be too much help? The coordinators tell you that you should write the verb down first once Alex starts reading, but it's not actually required (I think some of Colby's teacher's tournament games had FJ answers without the verb).
Just curious - do they check to make sure you've written it? And that you've written the word they said to write?
ComingUpMilhouse
Jeopardy! Champion

Magna wrote:
ComingUpMilhouse wrote:They only give you the question word, not the verb. Maybe they think the verb would be too much help? The coordinators tell you that you should write the verb down first once Alex starts reading, but it's not actually required (I think some of Colby's teacher's tournament games had FJ answers without the verb).
Just curious - do they check to make sure you've written it? And that you've written the word they said to write?
I don't remember for sure, but they must have.
jkbrat
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jkbrat »

ComingUpMilhouse wrote:
Magna wrote:
I don't remember for sure, but they must have.
Yes, they check to make sure it's OK. Which I know because they I had to rewrite one of mine :oops: .

Someone (pretty sure it was John Lauderdale) came over and very politely told me that I had written it way too large and there wasn't going to be enough room left for me to write the rest of the response. So they hit a magic button, cleared my screen, and asked me to please write it again. DOH! :lol:
There are times I almost think I am not sure of what I absolutely knooooooooo-OW

Learn, Review, Repeat

A Archipelago
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I received an e-mail from a friend who is away on a trip on Aquidneck Island. The place name was unknown to me, so I used Google to learn about it and then checked the archive to see if there were any hits. From 3/10/99:

GEOGRAPHY $600: In 1644 Aquidneck Island in Narragansett Bay was officially renamed this

The clue was a triple stumper with guesses of Prince Edward Island and Nantucket.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

MarkBarrett wrote:I received an e-mail from a friend who is away on a trip on Aquidneck Island. The place name was unknown to me, so I used Google to learn about it and then checked the archive to see if there were any hits. From 3/10/99:

GEOGRAPHY $600: In 1644 Aquidneck Island in Narragansett Bay was officially renamed this

The clue was a triple stumper with guesses of Prince Edward Island and Nantucket.
I'm certainly no geography expert, but Prince Edward Island does not sound like a very good guess for an island in Narragansett Bay.
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

This one is at the intersection of trivia and puzzles, so I'm going to post it here:

A Measure Of Success

Cheers,
Rex
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Rex Kramer wrote:This one is at the intersection of trivia and puzzles, so I'm going to post it here:

A Measure Of Success

Cheers,
Rex
That's just awesome that you got a chance to speak with him. Good for you that you worked up the courage to call.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I had to go to page 2 to find this thread. There is a TV show character look-alike on this week and another player has the same name as a TOCer except for a one letter difference in the spelling of the first name.
ahirbhairav

Post by ahirbhairav »

MarkBarrett wrote:I had to go to page 2 to find this thread. There is a TV show character look-alike on this week and another player has the same name as a TOCer except for a one letter difference in the spelling of the first name.
That is quite unusual.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Crossword Puzzle Puzzler

This is from the USA Today puzzle from 4/3/13

66 Across: 1970 World Series champs or 1981 Beatty film (4 letters)

The writer Paul D. Vance and editor Timothy Parker must have been asleep for this clue, but what one letter could be changed to make the clue accurate?
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

MarkBarrett wrote:Crossword Puzzle Puzzler

The writer Paul D. Vance and editor Timothy Parker must have been asleep for this clue, but what one letter could be changed to make the clue accurate?
Change the 7 to a 9. (Or the a to u, I suppose.)
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

nserven wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:Crossword Puzzle Puzzler

Change the 7 to a 9. (Or the a to u, I suppose.)
My favorite World Series ever (I was 9 and a huge Orioles fan, can still recite the lineup), and I love this quote from the losing manager:
SparkyAnderson wrote:I'm beginning to see Brooks (Robinson) in my sleep. If I dropped a paper plate, he'd pick it up on one hop and throw me out at first.
In and out of the pool four times