Reretaken Down

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, econgator, dhkendall, trainman

Re: Reretaken Down

Postby Bamaman » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:02 pm

I think you should start a show like that.
Bamaman
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
 
Posts: 4900
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:39 pm

Re: Reretaken Down

Postby Vanya » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:36 am

User avatar
Vanya
The support is non-zero
 
Posts: 2381
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:10 am

Re: Reretaken Down

Postby alietr » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:50 pm

User avatar
alietr
Site Admin
 
Posts: 2977
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:20 pm
Location: Bethesda, MD

Re: Reretaken Down

Postby alietr » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:49 am

My new favorite website shows where the ISS is:

http://iss.astroviewer.net/index2.php
User avatar
alietr
Site Admin
 
Posts: 2977
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:20 pm
Location: Bethesda, MD

Re: Reretaken Down

Postby Paucle » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:19 am

omg, thanks-- ever since heavens-above stopped working, I haven't had an ISS viewing. Been over a year now! I used to be able to catch either ISS or an awesome iridium flare every week or so. (Mostly the flares, which only last a few seconds. But if you can see one, it's amazing. Especially those -7/ -8 ones!)
User avatar
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer
 
Posts: 3233
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:36 pm
Location: near Albany NY

Re: Reretaken Down

Postby silverscreentest » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:36 pm

Paucle wrote:omg, thanks-- ever since heavens-above stopped working, I haven't had an ISS viewing. Been over a year now! I used to be able to catch either ISS or an awesome iridium flare every week or so. (Mostly the flares, which only last a few seconds. But if you can see one, it's amazing. Especially those -7/ -8 ones!)


I haven't used Heavens Above in a while. It seems to work if I manually input a latitude and longitude. Is there something else wrong with it I'm not noticing?
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
User avatar
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion
 
Posts: 553
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:30 pm
Location: Maryland

Re: Reretaken Down

Postby Paucle » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:28 pm

I get a 404. Been getting that since... oh, probably Xmas 2011. Has the address changed?
ETA: Never mind- found the problem. Duh.
User avatar
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer
 
Posts: 3233
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:36 pm
Location: near Albany NY

Re: Reretaken Down

Postby Vanya » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:28 am

I'll take Stuff I did not know about famous people for $200, Alex.

http://english.ruvr.ru/2013_01_31/Russian-vodka-marks-its-B-Day/
User avatar
Vanya
The support is non-zero
 
Posts: 2381
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:10 am

Re: Reretaken Down

Postby Woof » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:49 am

Vanya wrote:I'll take Stuff I did not know about famous people for $200, Alex.

http://english.ruvr.ru/2013_01_31/Russian-vodka-marks-its-B-Day/
\

Cool!
User avatar
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
 
Posts: 1755
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: Reretaken Down

Postby OrangeSAM » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:22 pm

Vanya wrote:I'll take Stuff I did not know about famous people for $200, Alex.

http://english.ruvr.ru/2013_01_31/Russian-vodka-marks-its-B-Day/

I know I celebrated that event but the details are now a little fuzzy.
OCSam
User avatar
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)
 
Posts: 1123
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:00 pm

Re: Reretaken Down

Postby georgespelvin » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:47 am

A friend of mine posted a status on Facebook pointing out the following in a weather forecast from the Washington Post's "Capital Weather Gang":

This is why the world needs good copy editors. From the Washington Post's Capital Weather Gang blog: "From western Montgomery county, western Fairfax county, northwest Prince William county and northern Fauquier county, west towards the Blue Ridge, most precipitation should fall as snow. 6-12 inches of snow are favored, with locally higher amounts above 1,000 feet." (Now that's a lot of snow!)
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
User avatar
georgespelvin
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
 
Posts: 543
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:40 pm

Re: Reretaken Down

Postby jeff6286 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:38 pm

georgespelvin wrote:A friend of mine posted a status on Facebook pointing out the following in a weather forecast from the Washington Post's "Capital Weather Gang":

This is why the world needs good copy editors. From the Washington Post's Capital Weather Gang blog: "From western Montgomery county, western Fairfax county, northwest Prince William county and northern Fauquier county, west towards the Blue Ridge, most precipitation should fall as snow. 6-12 inches of snow are favored, with locally higher amounts above 1,000 feet." (Now that's a lot of snow!)


Is it possible the 1,000 feet is referring to elevation, not amount of snow? I don't know how close the Blue Ridge Mountains come to DC, or if Blue Ridge is an area unrelated to the mountain range, but saying that areas above 1,000 feet could get more than a foot of snow, that seems like it could be possible.
User avatar
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
 
Posts: 3137
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:34 pm
Location: Indianapolis, IN

Re: Reretaken Down

Postby omgwheelhouse » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:08 pm

jeff6286 wrote:
georgespelvin wrote:A friend of mine posted a status on Facebook pointing out the following in a weather forecast from the Washington Post's "Capital Weather Gang":

This is why the world needs good copy editors. From the Washington Post's Capital Weather Gang blog: "From western Montgomery county, western Fairfax county, northwest Prince William county and northern Fauquier county, west towards the Blue Ridge, most precipitation should fall as snow. 6-12 inches of snow are favored, with locally higher amounts above 1,000 feet." (Now that's a lot of snow!)


Is it possible the 1,000 feet is referring to elevation, not amount of snow? I don't know how close the Blue Ridge Mountains come to DC, or if Blue Ridge is an area unrelated to the mountain range, but saying that areas above 1,000 feet could get more than a foot of snow, that seems like it could be possible.



Maybe what the world really needs is copy editors for people who write about other editors' mistakes
User avatar
omgwheelhouse
Maybe Someday Jeopardy Champion
 
Posts: 447
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:19 pm

Re: Reretaken Down

Postby This Is Kirk! » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:16 pm

jeff6286 wrote:Is it possible the 1,000 feet is referring to elevation, not amount of snow?


Yes, if you lived in a mountainous area you wouldn't even blink when you read that. Snow levels quoted in feet above sea level are commonplace.
User avatar
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion
 
Posts: 1294
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:35 am
Location: Seattle

Re: Reretaken Down

Postby Vanya » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:25 pm

jeff6286 wrote:
georgespelvin wrote:A friend of mine posted a status on Facebook pointing out the following in a weather forecast from the Washington Post's "Capital Weather Gang":

This is why the world needs good copy editors. From the Washington Post's Capital Weather Gang blog: "From western Montgomery county, western Fairfax county, northwest Prince William county and northern Fauquier county, west towards the Blue Ridge, most precipitation should fall as snow. 6-12 inches of snow are favored, with locally higher amounts above 1,000 feet." (Now that's a lot of snow!)


Is it possible the 1,000 feet is referring to elevation, not amount of snow? I don't know how close the Blue Ridge Mountains come to DC, or if Blue Ridge is an area unrelated to the mountain range, but saying that areas above 1,000 feet could get more than a foot of snow, that seems like it could be possible.


And here I thought he was complaining about "are."
User avatar
Vanya
The support is non-zero
 
Posts: 2381
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:10 am

Re: Reretaken Down

Postby alietr » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:48 pm

No, he's always been in favor of "Talk Like a Pirate Day".
User avatar
alietr
Site Admin
 
Posts: 2977
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:20 pm
Location: Bethesda, MD

Re: Reretaken Down

Postby Vanya » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:40 pm

So Facebook says my friends "can see my future posts." I did not know my friends were psychic.
User avatar
Vanya
The support is non-zero
 
Posts: 2381
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:10 am

Re: Reretaken Down

Postby Vanya » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:48 pm

It may be a Jeopardy clue someday: Hugo Chavez died on the same date as Josef Stalin (1953).
User avatar
Vanya
The support is non-zero
 
Posts: 2381
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:10 am

Re: Reretaken Down

Postby skullturf » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:57 pm

Vanya wrote:It may be a Jeopardy clue someday: Hugo Chavez died on the same date as Josef Stalin (1953).


Also died on March 5th, 1953: Sergei Prokofiev.
User avatar
skullturf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
 
Posts: 1125
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:34 am
Location: Chicago

Re: Reretaken Down

Postby bpmod » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:58 pm

And my grandfather on March 5th, 1943. But he'll never be an answer on Jeopardy!

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.
User avatar
bpmod
Rank
 
Posts: 3904
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:26 am
Location: Hamilton Ontario

PreviousNext

Return to Game Discussions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 9 guests