2012 Summer Hiatus Challenge -- Round 6 Instant Replay Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

lemonsun
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: 2012 Summer Hiatus Challenge -- Round 6 Instant Replay Thread

Post by lemonsun »

plasticene wrote:I wish I hadn't thought of Kelly Pickler at the last second, since I couldn't accurately recall exactly what her last name was.
Furthermore, just to clarify, Kellie Pickler placed the "Best Days of Your Life" at number 9 on the Billboard US Country Songs Chart in 2009, not the Billboard Hot 100. This fact undoubtedly confused many who follow the pop charts to some extent but do not follow the country charts, even on iTunes.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

immaf wrote:Help me out here. I have never in my life watched King of the Hill, so for the 4-pointer I had to rely on vague memories of an organic chem class taken over 30 years ago. I thought that the prefixes for hydrocarbons (denoting the number of carbon atoms) went in order: meth- eth-, but-, prop-, pent, hex-... So a molecule with 3 carbon atoms should be but-something (-ane for single bonds, -ene for double bonds). Therefore, I gave butane as my answer. Everyone else seems to be saying propane.

Did I get the prefixes for 3 and 4 carbon atoms mixed up?
Yes, you did, but it's a very understandable error since the etymology of the first four prefixes has no basis in numbers.

meth- comes from the Greek methylos meaning "wood spirit" (from methanol aka Wood alcohol, originally derived from distillation of wood and other vegetal matter)

eth- comes from the Greek aither (ether)

prop- comes from propionic acid, coined by Jean-Baptiste Dumas from the Greek pro- + pion meaning "first fat" for reasons I won't go into

but- comes from butyric acid, which is derived from the Greek butyros meaning butter, which is what the acid smells like (rancid butter, actually)

This is what makes organic nomenclature such a PITA to both learn and to teach: so much of it is historically based with little systematization. Even the systematic nomenclature of the IUPAC allows all these historically based roots to persist.

ETA: For those twisted souls who may have an interest in organic nomenclature, one of the best essays on the subject (and arguably what drew me into the field) was Isaac Asimov's "You Too Can Speak Gaelic," anthologized in Asimov on Chemistry
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Woof wrote:
seaborgium wrote:I must be the only one to think that Canada would be the one to give a French-named award to a hockey player, and end up high and dry for the 8-pointer.
That was my first instinct, too, but I talked myself out of it when I saw the question with the maple leaf award, which to me was obviously Canada.
Was I the only one who missed the word hockey in that clue?... "French name, WWI...gotta be France."
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Woppy T
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Woppy T »

I knew Pickfair because, I think, it was a question in the original Genus edition of Trivial Pursuit that came out around 30 years ago. Anyone else remember this?
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

dhkendall wrote:Damn, knew the last names in question, but went with Pickbanks. In my defence, I think I'm spoiled by J! portmanteaus (which are usually constructed this way).
I feel your pain. :(
debramc
Iced Mare Grub

Post by debramc »

Volante wrote:
Woof wrote:
seaborgium wrote:I must be the only one to think that Canada would be the one to give a French-named award to a hockey player, and end up high and dry for the 8-pointer.
That was my first instinct, too, but I talked myself out of it when I saw the question with the maple leaf award, which to me was obviously Canada.
Was I the only one who missed the word hockey in that clue?... "French name, WWI...gotta be France."
No, I really didn't notice it either. I had to go reread the question to review the issue. The other recipient listed is an Australian nurse-turned-playwright, so I think that severely cuts down the likelihood that hockey was a TOM for Canada. I actually knew the Croix de Guerre was a French award. (Apparently one often given to foreigners?? Don't know that part.) If you hadn't known that, the only relevant TOMs are the fact it's in French and the WWI part (though I imagine Canadians also fought in WWI, no?) The names and occupations of the two recipients listed are just distractors. (I think it's highly unlikely you would actually know that one or both of those individuals received some kind of award from France without also actually knowing or at least recognizing the name of the award.) Plus, like Woof said, the maple leaf on the later question is an even stronger TOM for Canada (in most circumstances) than hockey.
TomKBaltimoreBoy
Lucky to be Here

Post by TomKBaltimoreBoy »

billy pilgrim wrote:
Magna wrote:It's a good thing Mary Pickford didn't marry Nosferatu. Besides being married to a monster, she'd have to name her house PickNos.
Better him than Julian Assange.
Mark Millar on line 2 -- he says you stole his latest movie idea...
Life IS pain, Princess. Anyone telling you differently is selling something.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

If you hadn't known that, the only relevant TOMs are the fact it's in French and the WWI part (though I imagine Canadians also fought in WWI, no?)
(Overheard at a Montreal cafe)
::::sigh::: Looks like we'll be getting involved in the great war in Europe soon. Will you be enlisting?
I pay no attention to such things. Don't even know what it entails. Is France involved?
Of course.
Then I will most definitely fight!
(pauses a beat) Wait- you understand we're fighting Austria-Hungary, Germany, and their allies, oui?
Oh... never mind then.
rjaguar3
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by rjaguar3 »

Round 6 rulings please:
  • R6D1: 1st category, 2-pointer: "OJ"
  • R6D1: 2nd category, 6-pointer: "tacking"
  • R6D2: 1st category, 6-pointer: "Phobos and Demios"
  • R6D2: 2nd category, 6-pointer: "Rad Bradbury"
  • R6D3: 2nd category, 15-pointer: "Grumpy Old Men..." (should this be treated as an attempt to answer?, see http://www.jboard.tv/viewtopic.php?p=43399#p43399)
  • R6D4: 2nd category, 6-pointer: "the X award"
  • R6D5: 1st category, 4-pointer: "Wales" (I accepted UK, Great Britain, or England)
  • R6D5: 2nd category, 9-pointer: "Wonderland", "Canada Wonderland", "Wonerland"