Trivia about Trivia: Obscure Record Holders

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Turd Ferguson
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Trivia about Trivia: Obscure Record Holders

Post by Turd Ferguson »

Paucle wrote:
seaborgium wrote:Thanks, Mark, Joon, and cheezguyty! And thanks to Paucle too, even if you didn't dig up any J! stuff; that's a perfect analogy.
Thanks- and I checked, it still works. For those curious, it's...
Spoiler
Most combined career home runs by brothers in MLB, 768, and... Tommie Aaron hit 13
The NHL has similar, even more lopsided, "records" for brother duos.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Justin Upton and B.J. Upton both hit their 100th career home runs on the same day, August 3rd of this year. I'd like them to both get to 400 just so that "HRs by brothers" stat makes more sense. However, I don't think either one is quite on a pace to do so.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Though the record is now held by the niekros, the MLB record for most pitching wins by a set of brothers was once held by the Matthewson brothers, who had a total of 373 combined. Christy won 373 and Henry had a career record of 0-1.
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Bamaman wrote:Though the record is now held by the niekros, the MLB record for most pitching wins by a set of brothers was once held by the Matthewson brothers, who had a total of 373 combined. Christy won 373 and Henry had a career record of 0-1.
Cy Young and his little sister Ella laugh at the Mathewsons. They had a combined total of 511 wins. :lol:
Rafferty Barnes
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Rafferty Barnes »

For anyone deciding what to name their baby, the most successful name in J! is Dave/David. 16 contestants with that name have won over 50k on the show.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Rafferty Barnes wrote:For anyone deciding what to name their baby, the most successful name in J! is Dave/David. 16 contestants with that name have won over 50k on the show.
Talk about planning ahead!
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

But Dave/David is so unwieldy. Not to mention, won't people be unsure how to pronounce the middle part of the name?
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Paucle wrote:But Dave/David is so unwieldy. Not to mention, won't people be unsure how to pronounce the middle part of the name?
I wonder if the female equivalent is Jean/Genie? :mrgreen:
Rafferty Barnes
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Rafferty Barnes »

Paucle wrote:But Dave/David is so unwieldy. Not to mention, won't people be unsure how to pronounce the middle part of the name?
The slash is silent, of course.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Thanks Rafferty! We're expecting a baby any day now. All I have to do is convince my wife.

I'm just glad we're expecting a boy: I would have a harder time convincing her to name a girl David.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

Woof wrote:
I wonder if the female equivalent is Jean/Genie? :mrgreen:
Channeling David Bowie now?
OCSam
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

boson wrote:Thanks Rafferty! We're expecting a baby any day now. All I have to do is convince my wife.
You have to convince your wife that you're expecting a baby? ;)
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

econgator wrote:
boson wrote:Thanks Rafferty! We're expecting a baby any day now. All I have to do is convince my wife.
You have to convince your wife that you're expecting a baby? ;)
http://m.imdb.com/title/tt1239443/
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

Rafferty Barnes wrote:For anyone deciding what to name their baby, the most successful name in J! is Dave/David.
And because there are so many contestants with that name, it is simultaneously the most unsuccessful name in Jeopardy (43 non-winners in the last 10 years)!

If you go by average winnings, Tom/Thomas is more successful. Since the doubling of the clue values, there have been 42 Toms, 3 Thomases, and 1 Tommy (only counting regular-play games), and they have won an average of $30,438; the average winnings for Daves/Davids during that same time is only $22,238. Also, Toms enjoy a six to four lead over Davids when it comes to winning over $100K (not to mention four of the top 20 spots on the all-time list).
Budphrey
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Budphrey »

Let's not forget: Among those listed in the Archive competing as Bud, Budd or Buddy, there's an average of:

2.33 games won
$48,468 won in regular games (not including second- or third-place cash); $65,134 including ToC prize money
1/3 competing in the Tournament of Champions
2/3 getting a Sony-subsidized plane ticket and hotel room associated with the Tournament of Champions

A small but distinguished survey sample.

So it seems obvious: First name Tom, middle name David, and make sure he's nicknamed Bud from the cradle. With however many d's seems right.

You're welcome.
Poo-tee-weet? So it goes.
jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

well, if you want to go by averages, "ken" has a lot going for it... although a scan of the archives suggests that maybe there are enough kens to drag the averages down to sane levels. by average non-tournament winnings, i'm pretty sure the most successful first name ever ($199,000+$2000) is ...
Spoiler
really? you can't guess? ;) it's a good name.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

jpahk wrote:well, if you want to go by averages, "ken" has a lot going for it... although a scan of the archives suggests that maybe there are enough kens to drag the averages down to sane levels. by average non-tournament winnings, i'm pretty sure the most successful first name ever ($199,000+$2000) is ...
Spoiler
really? you can't guess? ;) it's a good name.
Actually, I think your math may be off. The only non-tournament Larissa I can find in the Archive won ($222,597+$1,000). Though I agree, it is a good name.
jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

i suppose it was a little unfair to include two larissas in the denominator but only count non-tournament winnings. actually the only reason i specified non-tournament was because it would have been more of a pain for me to find the list of top earners. i suspect the average ken or brad is under $200k but i don't know about everybody else.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

In looking for any other Joons, I did come across Season 16 player June Murphy, who finished 3rd and won a pair of Nobel Watches. So the average non-tournament winnings of (Archived) June/Joon players is $100,500 and one Nobel Watch. I bet those are some pretty sweet watches, but I'm thinking Joon still came out ahead.
dmleach
Damn Jeopardy! Hooligan

Post by dmleach »

Paucle wrote:But Dave/David is so unwieldy.
Eh, I've been called worse.