FJs for the 6/27/11 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJs did you solve correctly for the 6/27/11 week?

Poll ended at Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:59 pm

Please check this box if you are voting in the poll.
98%
In 2007 Robstown, near Corpus Christi, was recognized as the birthplace of this game, now played online too
70%
The last time the University of Michigan retired a football number was in 1994, in honor of this center who graduated in 1935
84%
It was saved from destruction by a poem submitted to the Boston Daily Advertiser in September 1830
39%
50 Cent pieces issued in 2003 by this country depict Frodo, Gandalf, Gollum, Sauron & Aragorn
93%
She described her work as "human nature in the midland counties" & involving "three or four familes in a country village"
72%
:) :) :) :) :) I checked all five above.
23%
ROMAN 'ROUND MYTHOLOGY $1000: This blacksmith was lame--physically, not mythically--the only physically imperfect major Roman god
72%
LITERATURE $1600: Rowena has Saxon the brain in this 1819 work by Sir Walter Scott
75%
ON WISCONSIN $1200: Wisconsin borders these 2 Great Lakes
80%

Total votes: 61

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

FJs for the 6/27/11 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

I have added a check box in the poll for all voters to please check off. Then we will know how many voters there are to help figure out the percentages on each FJ clue poll choice. Thanks.

For those who have always wanted to vote anonymously you can now do that as the poll set up here does not have a check box to make the votes public.

6/27 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
GAMES

6/27 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 2007 Robstown, near Corpus Christi, was recognized as the birthplace of this game, now played online too

6/28 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FAMOUS NAMES

6/28 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The last time the University of Michigan retired a football number was in 1994, in honor of this center who graduated in 1935

6/29 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
POETIC SUBJECTS

6/29 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
It was saved from destruction by a poem submitted to the Boston Daily Advertiser in September 1830

6/30 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
COINS OF THE WORLD

6/30 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
50 Cent pieces issued in 2003 by this country depict Frodo, Gandalf, Gollum, Sauron & Aragorn

7/1 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
BRITISH AUTHORS

7/1 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
She described her work as "human nature in the midland counties" & involving "three or four familes in a country village"

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Texas hold 'em
Gerald Ford
the Constitution Old Ironsides
New Zealand
Jane Austen
The players were 12/15 (80.00%) with a 3-3-1-3-2 success pattern.

The extra clues have a miss rebounded correctly followed by two the players had correct.

ROMAN 'ROUND MYTHOLOGY $1000: This blacksmith was lame--physically, not mythically--the only physically imperfect major Roman god

LITERATURE $1600: Rowena has Saxon the brain in this 1819 work by Sir Walter Scott

ON WISCONSIN $1200: Wisconsin borders these 2 Great Lakes

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Vulcan
Ivanhoe
Michigan and Superior
Last edited by MarkBarrett on Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: FJs for the 6/27/11 week

Post by econgator »

:) :) :) :cry: :)
:oops: :) :)

Went with the Old North Church on Thursday and forgot to engage my brain and blurted out Hephaestus too quickly.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Looks like this board has the same problem as the Bored with multiple-selection polls: it counts each checked box as a single vote and tabulates the percentages according to that instead of according to the number of voters.

Edit: oh duh, Mark included the "I am voting in this poll" option, and I overlooked it. Add 1 to that first total.
:( :) :( :) :)
:( :) :(
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

:) :) :( :) :(
:) :? :)

Monday: Took me about half the time to stare blankly, then thought myself ever-so-smart for locking in to the Texas connection.
Tuesday: Hung my head in resignation (oh great, sports question) then, for some reason, a picture of college-age Ford in his football uniform that I saw once came to me and had it before Alex was done reading.
Wednesday: Thought it was Old North Church too and did a :o when it was ruled wrong (well what else can it be?)
Thursday: Waffled between NZ and UK, was pretty confident sticking with NZ based on the year.
Friday: Emily Bronte and Jane Austen are the same person, right?

clammed the lit clue, headslap on reveal.
Last edited by dhkendall on Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by barandall800 »

:) :) :x :) :)
:( :( :(

I didn't realize until just now (I've missed watching quite a few games live this week...) that were it not for my brain fart on Ironsides on Wednesday, I would have had my very first perfecto. GAH! I played it off the BAM Bored discussion thread, and I knew precisely who wrote the poem in question (Oliver Wendell Holmes), but for the life of me could not remember the name of the ship. Ah well...a 5/5 week eludes me yet again.

Near-instagets on Monday, Tuesday, and Friday (I briefly considered Charlotte Bronte mid-clue on Fri., but stuck with the obvious choice). Thursday I got as soon as the clue appeared on the screen, almost. :)

As for the bonus clues...no comment. :oops:
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

:) :) :) :) :)
:) :) :)

My first ever 5/5, 3/3! And I think it's only my second 5/5 ever in regular play. That probably means that this was an easy set of clues, but I will take it!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I believe this is the code that calculates the percentages. If someone who knows code better than me is able to figure out how to get the percentages to calculate like they used to, I will implement the change. Thanks for any help!

foreach ($poll_info as $poll_option)
{
$option_pct = ($poll_total > 0) ? $poll_option['poll_option_total'] / $poll_total : 0;
$option_pct_txt = sprintf("%.1d%%", round($option_pct * 100));

$template->assign_block_vars('poll_option', array(
'POLL_OPTION_ID' => $poll_option['poll_option_id'],
'POLL_OPTION_CAPTION' => $poll_option['poll_option_text'],
'POLL_OPTION_RESULT' => $poll_option['poll_option_total'],
'POLL_OPTION_PERCENT' => $option_pct_txt,
'POLL_OPTION_PCT' => round($option_pct * 100),
'POLL_OPTION_IMG' => $user->img('poll_center', $option_pct_txt, round($option_pct * 250)),
'POLL_OPTION_VOTED' => (in_array($poll_option['poll_option_id'], $cur_voted_id)) ? true : false)
);
}
billiej

Post by billiej »

:D :D :cry: :D :cry:
:cry: :cry: :D
Suze
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Suze »

:) :( :) :) :)
:) :) :)

Football-related questions have been my undoing many times.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

:D :D :D :D :D
:D :D :D

They need to make the sad smilie a differnet color, so it's easier to tell everyone's "gets".

-M
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

MinnesotaMyron wrote::D :D :D :D :D
:D :D :D

They need to make the sad smilie a differnet color, so it's easier to tell everyone's "gets".

-M
With that in mind, perhaps we could adopt the convention of using "Mr. Green" :mrgreen: for "gets" and any of the others :( :o :? :x :oops: :cry: :?: :| for "misses".

For the week I had:

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Brain fart on Monday - never got the significance of the Texas place names.
Got those Greek and Roman gods confused again.

OCSam
OCSam
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

seaborgium wrote:Looks like this board has the same problem as the Bored with multiple-selection polls: it counts each checked box as a single vote and tabulates the percentages according to that instead of according to the number of voters.

Edit: oh duh, Mark included the "I am voting in this poll" option, and I overlooked it. Add 1 to that first total.
:( :) :( :) :)
:( :) :(
I was able to edit the poll and check off a box that allows someone to recast their vote. See if you can vote again and check off the first box
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MarkBarrett wrote:I was able to edit the poll and check off a box that allows someone to recast their vote. See if you can vote again and check off the first box
Hey cool, it works. Thanks!
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:evil: :evil: :mrgreen:

satisfying week on FJs because a couple were "digs."
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

:( :( :( :( :)
:( :( :(
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

:D :D :D :D :D
:D :D :(
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
debramc
Iced Mare Grub

Post by debramc »

:( :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :(
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I'd like to think I'd have gotten Texas Hold 'em with a few seconds thought, but DH was watching with me and blurted it out immediately. (He usually lets me blurt first since I'm the one actually trying to get on the show, but he lost control I guess!) Old North Church on Wednesday and Agatha Christie on Friday (my mind went blank and she was the only British authoress I could think of. And I convinced myself detective stories were all basically commentaries about a few families' human nature, etc.)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

debramc wrote:I'd like to think I'd have gotten Texas Hold 'em with a few seconds thought, but DH was watching with me and blurted it out immediately.
Wouldn't that be "not-so-DH"?
debramc
Iced Mare Grub

Post by debramc »

alietr wrote:
debramc wrote:I'd like to think I'd have gotten Texas Hold 'em with a few seconds thought, but DH was watching with me and blurted it out immediately.
Wouldn't that be "not-so-DH"?
Nah, he's usually great about letting me be the star, I don't mind letting him shine sometimes too!
Peggles
Grand Exalted Queen of the Universe

Post by Peggles »

I JUST discovered the link to this site on POG. I've been going crazy missing my Jeopardy! Board and buddies. Maybe it's an omen of better days to come, but I got :D :D :D :D :D on the FJ's, and :D :D :( on the others.