Wednesday, December 7, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Re: Wednesday, December 7, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Rex Kramer »

Mark B wrote:I too was surprised at the no-get on Pullman.

OTOH, I missed the DD on the police strike. Was that a "figure it out" or a "lotsa people know this" for the box it was in?
Read The Given Day by Dennis Lehane. That came out only a year or so ago, so perhaps that's why the police strike was on the writers' mind.

Rex
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I thought the police strike and Coolidge was well known due to the quote about public safety.

As for FJ, I like ones you have to puzzle out rather than either knowing or not knowing something.
laubla999
Maybe Someday Jeopardy Champion

Post by laubla999 »

Turd Ferguson wrote:
I was floored that J! would ask about Les Iles de la Madeleine (even spotted "Mad"), even moreso when Julia actually got the response. dhkendall, weren't you just saying that there's never a clue about Canada that isn't easy for a Canadian? I think that would qualify! (Looking at the archive, I now see that there was a TOM in the clue, which I assume is how the writers expected most contestants would get it). Precalling the pronunciation "correction" from Alex on that was certainly easy, since he so rarely misses a chance to use his French.
I was floored too. So much that I didn't have the time to come up with the name. (Though to be honest, I wasn't really paying attention to the tv at that moment).
:-(

Got FJ : winner gets a cup, late 1890s, single =>> Wimbledon.
Done!
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Turd Ferguson wrote:I was floored that J! would ask about Les Iles de la Madeleine (even spotted "Mad"), even moreso when Julia actually got the response. dhkendall, weren't you just saying that there's never a clue about Canada that isn't easy for a Canadian? I think that would qualify! (Looking at the archive, I now see that there was a TOM in the clue, which I assume is how the writers expected most contestants would get it). Precalling the pronunciation "correction" from Alex on that was certainly easy, since he so rarely misses a chance to use his French.
I do agree, that would have been a difficult one for most, and was surprised at the get. A good clue.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

dhkendall wrote:
Turd Ferguson wrote:I was floored that J! would ask about Les Iles de la Madeleine (even spotted "Mad"), even moreso when Julia actually got the response. dhkendall, weren't you just saying that there's never a clue about Canada that isn't easy for a Canadian? I think that would qualify! (Looking at the archive, I now see that there was a TOM in the clue, which I assume is how the writers expected most contestants would get it). Precalling the pronunciation "correction" from Alex on that was certainly easy, since he so rarely misses a chance to use his French.
I do agree, that would have been a difficult one for most, and was surprised at the get. A good clue.
I got it because of the ToM. No way I would have got it without that.
whoisalexjacob
2015 TOC'er

Post by whoisalexjacob »

econgator wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
I got it because of the ToM. No way I would have got it without that.
Right, the clue was basically "this teacake starts w/ MAD (btw, did you know there are islands called that?)"
laubla999
Maybe Someday Jeopardy Champion

Post by laubla999 »

omgwheelhouse wrote: Right, the clue was basically "this teacake starts w/ MAD (btw, did you know there are islands called that?)"
I visited there some years ago, while on vacation.

Nice place, but windy :-)
LeFlaneur
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by LeFlaneur »

I thought Jennifer looked familiar and then when she told her "Zapruder film" story I realized I'd competed against her at the auditions this past summer in Kansas City. Good job and congrats on making it to the show.
Le Flaneur
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

MarkBarrett wrote:I knew one place where Tony's name was familiar: http://sites.google.com/site/iqausa/ #101
alietr wrote:Quite a few familiar names on there
If you scroll down far enough on that page you'll see this:
Host: Rob Severson
minus the ø
alietr wrote:including one significantly higher who will be on next week ...
At which point this board may bust a nut.

Got monkfish from the holy cowled TOM and because the fishmongers at Pike Place Market sometimes use one of those ugly bastards as a prop. Got police purely from the "public safety" bit, got Pullman from having written a similar clue, and missed wide on FJ when the America's Cup lodged in my head and wouldn't move, even after I thought of and nearly wrote down Wimbledon as a second possibility.

One for the (line) judges: Matthias for Matthew in ...Attention for $1000?

MFalk et al., I'm sure you recognize Tony's name from elsewhere. Big props to Mr. H -- gonna go watch Thursday's now.
In and out of the pool four times
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

reddpen wrote:One for the (line) judges: Matthias for Matthew in ...Attention for $1000?
Nope. Matthias was a different guy entirely. Chosen (In Acts) to replace Judas.
Turd Ferguson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Turd Ferguson »

reddpen wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:I knew one place where Tony's name was familiar: http://sites.google.com/site/iqausa/ #101
alietr wrote:Quite a few familiar names on there
If you scroll down far enough on that page you'll see this:
Host: Rob Severson
minus the ø
alietr wrote:including one significantly higher who will be on next week ...
At which point this board may bust a nut.
Ooh, the suspense! I had looked at the list and wondered who Andy was referring to. I'm perhaps also glad right now I wasn't able to do quiz this year ("scheduling conflicts"), for fear of just how far down that list my name would appear.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

alietr wrote:
Quite a few familiar names on there, including one significantly higher who will be on next week ...
So jeopardy.com and the above website have revealed alietr's hint:
Spoiler
Boomie Aglietti will be on J! this week, after placing 20th in North America on the World Quizzing Championships. This is above some notable TOC contestants...
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Tomorrow (Tuesday) night. And I don't want to say Boomie's good, but his team beat Roger's the night I met him.
Austin Powers
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Austin Powers »

I am assuming, and hoping, that it is a total pillaging of the Jeopardy set by Boomie.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Austin Powers wrote:I am assuming, and hoping, that it is a total pillaging of the Jeopardy set by Boomie.
Hey, if this contestant couldn't pillage J!, what hope for Boomie? I'm totally psyched to see him in action, though, as he's one of the few prospective contestants (can you name the others, AP?) who strikes fear in my heart.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I knew exactly who that was before I clicked on it I think his appearance was an aberration.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Woof wrote:
Austin Powers wrote:I am assuming, and hoping, that it is a total pillaging of the Jeopardy set by Boomie.
Hey, if this contestant couldn't pillage J!, what hope for Boomie? I'm totally psyched to see him in action, though, as he's one of the few prospective contestants (can you name the others, AP?) who strikes fear in my heart.
I think that Dave Simpson is the closest example I can think of to someone else who would fall into that category.