[TD 144] The Kodak Theater presents... The 144th Think Different!

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: [TD 144] The Kodak Theater presents... The 144th Think Different!

Post by MarkBarrett »

MarkBarrett wrote:So far so good for me. Bring on one I hope is correct if I'm understanding the Q correctly and should not have too many matching me. The last one has me..... Well, I won't spoil it.
I knew Elizabeth Taylor was not the way to go. My answers were in before seeing/reading all the year-end tributes. I wanted to have a lock name for sure dying in 2011 and she was it. Other possible names came to me as I puzzled over my response and I kept having doubt about 2010/2011 as the time was blending together in my head trying to remember the different in memoriam segments from various awards shows.

A top five finish against such good competition has me pleased as I worked harder than usual on these things considering so many choices. My strategy was to have a clean card.

Thanks for such a wonderful game &challenge and congratulations to those who enjoyed the jump in standings after the last reveal.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I had always thought the Oscar Garland won for The Wizard of Oz was an award they just stopped giving. i never knew it was an honorary thing.
Peggles
Grand Exalted Queen of the Universe

Post by Peggles »

Great game, Volante. Thanks.

Gratz to the winners.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Bamaman wrote:I had always thought the Oscar Garland won for The Wizard of Oz was an award they just stopped giving. i never knew it was an honorary thing.
It's both, in a sense. The Juvenile Oscar was honorary in the sense it wasn't competitive, it was simply awarded. But it was a relatively regular award until the 1950s.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Yeah, I read up on it a bit after I got negged. I guess you could argue it was competitive in a sense that they decided she was the best under 18 actor that year, even though there was not a formal vote among the members using a ballot.
billy pilgrim
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by billy pilgrim »

Gratz to the winners. Great game Volante. I always think a fun TD is when you wouldn't be sure of a good answer even if you had a list of all possible answers.This was that. So thank you for the game.
She caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

billy pilgrim wrote:Gratz to the winners. Great game Volante. I always think a fun TD is when you wouldn't be sure of a good answer even if you had a list of all possible answers.This was that. So thank you for the game.
Well put. I had a mental list of all possible answers for the John Cazale question (except I forgot about the archival footage in Godfather III). I still sheeped with The Conversation when I could've singled with Godfather II.

I really thought I had a chance on this one. And if I'd gone with Amadeus for the under $100M film rather than negging with Driving Miss Daisy, I'd at least have been in the top 5 or 6. Some day....

Great job, Volante. Congrats to the winners.
mitchparov
Worst Buzzer Player Ever

Post by mitchparov »

Fantastic TD, Volante. Many thanks.
gamawire
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by gamawire »

A top ten finish is not too bad - I've definitely done worse! Great game, Volante, and congrats to the podiumites!
"It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing." -- Seneca
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

Very good job, Volante.... especially so for a first timer! Congrats to gftt, bomtr, MarkBarrett, Peg and teapot!
barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by barandall800 »

"They like me, they really like me!"

Oh wait. I got 19th. :D Although I yet again fell short, I had some nice singleton/bonus moments, and this was an immensely fun set of questions to play. (Pop culture ftw!) Thanks, Volante, for an amazing TD, and congrats to those who took home the gold. :)
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

I think Volante should win a writing award for this TD... Very inspired!

Enjoyed the heck out of it, though this is very very very far from a strong-point category for me. This explains my even-further-up-the-track-than-usual finish. :)