Friday, July 29, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, July 29, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for DJ! Round
alietr
Site Admin

Re: Friday, July 29, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by alietr »

DJ! Round
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I had the same wrong answer. I saw Rebel Without a Cause once about 25 years ago and don't remember that much about it. I felt the memorial was tied to that movie since he is more known for that movie than the other two. But I would never have gotten the correct response.
alamble
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by alamble »

Technically, it's the Griffith Park Observatory, is it not? Any Angelenos wish to confirm?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Hollywood Sign for me. The clue had me considering three things:

Something about his movies
Something about the crash site
Something about stars being remembered

The sign seem to fit well enough for height and structure. I was not aware of memorials for Dean and other stars there.

I'll admit it, I've never seen any of the Dean movies, so I could name some co-stars and that's about it.

I don't know where the crash happened.

That left me to guess the sign for lack of anything better. Somewhere over the years I've heard something about the Observatory and the Rebel movie, but I was not going to get that clue without more help. Nice solve by Justin to get the two-peat. He almost looked resigned to a loss when Marty bet low.

I had to laugh as I collected the Trash on Enzo the dog in The Art of Racing in the Rain. On my last day of work before summer break a co-worker offered the loan of the book to another teacher. That teacher was going to busy and knew she would not have time to read it. The loaner asked me next and I left with the book. My bookmark is in the middle as a dog narrating a story is far from my regular type of reading. J! material can be picked up in many ways.

Where are Jerome and Diogenes? Los Angeles Landmarks then tied into movies has to be their dream kind of category and clue to bet the farm?

For Stefan: I put a game into the archive that you might be able to relate to: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3711

For archivists: The FJ! round had some chicken scratch and extra dialogue. I put in the bare basics, but feel free to check the video here for what else should be added: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAustS8wSZ8
Wimple
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by Wimple »

alamble wrote:Technically, it's the Griffith Park Observatory, is it not? Any Angelenos wish to confirm?
I believe it's the Griffith Observatory, located in Griffith Park. Almost instaget for me, but I've seen the movie and live in So Cal.
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

alamble wrote:Technically, it's the Griffith Park Observatory, is it not? Any Angelenos wish to confirm?
Well, it's the Griffith Observatory, but it's located in Griffith Park. I just went and checked their website, and Park is not in the official name that I can tell, but but being that it's the only observatory in Griffith Park I think it's acceptable.

I went there a few years back, haven't lived in California since I was a kid but have many relatives there. I couldn't remember for sure if the memorial was there, but they highlighted their movie connections- for some weird reason the only one I remember is the stupid Charlie's Angels movie. But the Hollywood sign seemed a) way too obvious and b) too hard to actually get to for me to change my answer. No idea what other high landmarks anyone could have thought of.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I think I would have figured this FJ out on my own. My dad and I started brainstorming L.A. landmarks when it went to commercial, and the Griffith Observatory, the Watts Towers, and the Capitol Records building came up. (The Hollywood sign didn't.) When the clue was revealed, I was still parsing it when my dad turned to me and grinned, which indicated to me that it was one of the places we had mentioned. Once I got that "high point" referred to where the structure was built rather than to how tall it was, the Observatory was the only place from our brainstorming that fit.

I think I would have steered clear of the Hollywood sign, because first, I wouldn't consider it a structure (at best it's nine structures); and second, I imagine a memorial near the Hollywood sign would have to be comparably visible from afar, and I know there's nothing but hillside and flora around the sign. Since, even with the brainstorming, I still had to (and did) work out what "high point" meant, I'm going to count this as a get on the poll.

Marty is a pub quiz guy at the same place I frequent. I don't really know him, but I was sorry to see him lose. I was sure the FJ category favored the local. At least he made a contest out of it, and went down wagering intelligently.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

seaborgium wrote: I was sure the FJ category favored the local.
So did I. Yet it was a sole get by a guy from the east coast. go figure.
At least he made a contest out of it, and went down wagering intelligently.
Yes he did. Strangely, during the break I was thinking the leader should be gutsy and make a Shoetegic bet.
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

For FJ I said "the planetarium." Judges?
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

He has only won two games but I am sold on Justin. The ToC-caliber players just won't seem to go away.

This was another board that ate my lunch, though I was happy to pick up the triple stumper on Kerensky.

For FJ I had nothing to guess but the Hollywood sign, but it just seemed way too obvious to be the correct answer. Sometimes FJ clues are that obvious and the key is not to over think them, and since I had nothing else to guess I stuck with it, but unfortunately for me this turned out not to be one of those easy types of FJ clues.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Woppy T wrote:For FJ I said "the planetarium." Judges?
Ooh, sorry. I'm pretty sure "Griffith" would have been required.
Budphrey
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Budphrey »

StevenH wrote:For FJ I had nothing to guess but the Hollywood sign, but it just seemed way too obvious to be the correct answer.
Same here. The only James Dean movie I've seen is Giant, and I'd lived in Texas for 13 years, so I'd have nailed it if his memorial had been in Texas. On the other hand, there are pretty much no high-elevation landmarks in the Texas Plains ...

There's nothing like a urologist with a sense of humor to make a person look forward to the interview segments in the first week of next season.
Poo-tee-weet? So it goes.
RCraig
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by RCraig »

legendneverdies wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote: For Stefan: I put a game into the archive that you might be able to relate to: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3711
An FJ! right in this game would have set a one day record that would have held 23 years later, as no one's doubled total in the last 10 years has been twice this.
I think that adjusted that's also a tie for largest FJ bet ever (for games in the archive anyway). Is that the largest amount going into FJ as well? 55k adjusted? KJ's best was 51k, right?
RCraig
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by RCraig »

Congrats to Justin on the 2nd win!

Btw, for the counterespionage/counterinsurgency/counterintelligence question: they ruled Justin correct, gave him back his money and then gave Marty back his neg amount "because he wouldn't have been able to buzz in". I can't recall ever seeing a ruling like that before. Does that happen a lot? For other cases, where the 2nd player answers correctly and the 1st player is later ruled correct, they let them both keep their money even though the 2nd player wouldn't have been able to buzz in had the ruling been correct in the first place. Seems like they want the contestants to have as much as possible even if the rulings seem inconsistent.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I think the upshot is that they don't want to penalize someone for their mistake. Therefore, if you got money incorrectly, they don't take it away. If you had money taken away incorrectly, they give it back.
RCraig
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by RCraig »

alietr wrote:I think the upshot is that they don't want to penalize someone for their mistake. Therefore, if you got money incorrectly, they don't take it away. If you had money taken away incorrectly, they give it back.
If one player gets money incorrectly and they don't take it away, doesn't that penalize the other 2 players for their mistake?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I've seen it happen quite a bit when they return the second player's money when they decide the first player's alternate answer is correct. I do think when the second player gives the right answer after an alternate answer originally ruled wrong is rules correct should not keep the money, but they didn't ask me.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

seaborgium wrote: I think I would have steered clear of the Hollywood sign, because first, I wouldn't consider it a structure (at best it's nine structures); and second, I imagine a memorial near the Hollywood sign would have to be comparably visible from afar, and I know there's nothing but hillside and flora around the sign. Since, even with the brainstorming, I still had to (and did) work out what "high point" meant, I'm going to count this as a get on the poll.
Another bit is the Hollywood sign is not open to the public. Any memorial there would be inaccessible and, as a result, would likely be at the Observatory to begin with, as it's within a stone's throw.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Griff ... d_sign.jpg

( Incidentally, that bust in that photo? The one with the star? That's the James Dean bust. )

(Edit: OK, maybe a Herculean stone's throw, but still!)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)