Friday, July 29, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Friday, July 29, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium »

Volante wrote:
seaborgium wrote: I think I would have steered clear of the Hollywood sign, because first, I wouldn't consider it a structure (at best it's nine structures); and second, I imagine a memorial near the Hollywood sign would have to be comparably visible from afar, and I know there's nothing but hillside and flora around the sign. Since, even with the brainstorming, I still had to (and did) work out what "high point" meant, I'm going to count this as a get on the poll.
Another bit is the Hollywood sign is not open to the public. Any memorial there would be inaccessible and, as a result, would likely be at the Observatory to begin with, as it's within a stone's throw.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Griff ... d_sign.jpg

( Incidentally, that bust in that photo? The one with the star? That's the James Dean bust. )

(Edit: OK, maybe a Herculean stone's throw, but still!)
I was going to bring up the sign's inaccessibility (which is the reason I said "would have to be comparably visible from afar"), but semi-accidentally left it out while trying to clarify my writing.
jepkid97
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jepkid97 »

I would have had an awful game if my mom hadn't read 3 of the books in the Book Titles category (though I did read the first few chapters of The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks. I keep meaning to pick that one up again.) I said Grauman's Chinese Theater for FJ, having never seen a James Dean movie.

It's been a great season, and I look forward to Season 28! (And for Teacher's Tournament reruns to end)
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Volante wrote:Another bit is the Hollywood sign is not open to the public.
I seem to recall seeing in a streetmap program once roads going in the Hollywood Hills right around at and the sign, and figured it was accessible. Google Maps shows a road (albeit marked differently than others, a private road, perhaps?) and a parking lot. The "review" of the sign (accessed by mouse-hover over the "Hollywood sign" tag on the map) mentions a trail which can take you behind the sign, presumably the road shown.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Rafferty Barnes
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Rafferty Barnes »

In Justin's WInner's Circle, he says he knew FJ because it was mentioned in a "local attractions" brochure he looked at in his hotel room the night before.
cshort
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by cshort »

Griffith Observatory is one of few landmarks I specifically went to visit when I was in town for the show :D
pinkfreud
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by pinkfreud »

cshort wrote:Griffith Observatory is one of few landmarks I specifically went to visit when I was in town for the show :D
Same here. The high points of my short stay in LA (other than being on the show) were Griffith Observatory and the Natural History Museum of Los Angeles.
jepkid97
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jepkid97 »

When I was in LA for my show, I went to Hollywood and Beverly Hills, but spent most of my time being really nervous.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

jepkid97 wrote:I would have had an awful game if my mom hadn't read 3 of the books in the Book Titles category (though I did read the first few chapters of The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks. I keep meaning to pick that one up again.) I said Grauman's Chinese Theater for FJ, having never seen a James Dean movie.

It's been a great season, and I look forward to Season 28! (And for Teacher's Tournament reruns to end)
Too bad your mom never ead Alice in Wonderland.
DanKirshner
Contributor

Post by DanKirshner »

My (totally wild) guess was the Watts Tower. Never would have gotten Griffith. I haven't been in LA in about 45 years.
alietr
Site Admin

Re: Friday, July 29, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by alietr »

I am digging up this thread because of a marvelous quote I came across. From an interview with Rebecca Skloot, author of "The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks".

Was there a specific moment when you felt you had “made it” as an author?

In chronological order: When the story of Henrietta Lacks was “ripped” for an episode of Law and Order. When my book was an answer to a Jeopardy question. When The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks showed up in the movie Think Like a Man as a tool for successfully picking up women in bookstores.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... write.html

See the $2000 clue in Book Titles:

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3713
kristinsausville
2015 TOC'er

Post by kristinsausville »

Rafferty Barnes wrote:In Justin's WInner's Circle, he says he knew FJ because it was mentioned in a "local attractions" brochure he looked at in his hotel room the night before.
Since the thread got bumped, I just thought I'd leave this here, from when we were in LA for Justin's ToC filming. :D

Follow me on Twitter: @ksausville
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

RCraig wrote:
legendneverdies wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote: For Stefan: I put a game into the archive that you might be able to relate to: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3711
An FJ! right in this game would have set a one day record that would have held 23 years later, as no one's doubled total in the last 10 years has been twice this.
I think that adjusted that's also a tie for largest FJ bet ever (for games in the archive anyway). Is that the largest amount going into FJ as well? 55k adjusted? KJ's best was 51k, right?
If the players from the Henry VIII's first father-in-law FJ had seen this, they'd have been home free.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

kristinsausville wrote:
Rafferty Barnes wrote:In Justin's WInner's Circle, he says he knew FJ because it was mentioned in a "local attractions" brochure he looked at in his hotel room the night before.
Since the thread got bumped, I just thought I'd leave this here, from when we were in LA for Justin's ToC filming. :D

Nice! We went there after I taped.

Note to future Los Angeles visitors: Griffith Observatory is closed Mondays. We discovered this fact after we got there. :(
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Justin was looking for his blue Jean, baby queen, prettiest girl he's ever seen. He found that instead.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Paucle wrote:Justin was looking for his blue Jean, baby queen, prettiest girl he's ever seen. He found that instead.
Rock on!

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

bpmod wrote:
Paucle wrote:Justin was looking for his blue Jean, baby queen, prettiest girl he's ever seen. He found that instead.
Rock on!
Rock on!
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

Paucle wrote:
bpmod wrote:
Rock on!
Rock on!
And where do we go from here?
OCSam