Season 28 airdates

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Re: Season 28 airdates

Post by dhkendall »

mam418 wrote:
alamble wrote:
trainman wrote:To allow an extra weekend of hype before the finals? Because they found out fewer people watch the show on Fridays? Something odd having to do with when the official sweeps periods are?
Sweeps periods always start on Thursdays. That being said, the winter period kicks off this Thursday.
Yeah, I figured it had to do with it being February 1, and February being a sweeps month. (Same with the ToC last November. though they started the 2nd, i think. hmm...)
At the risk of sounding like one of those boardies who has far too much Jeopardy! minutae knowledge, it looks like February, 2012 is going to be the first non-August month in a while (at least since I started recording Coryats 3 years ago) that will have no "regular" games in it, as Alex mentioned the College Tournament will be immediately followed by the Teachers' Tournament.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

What will be airing February 29?
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

dhkendall wrote:At the risk of sounding like one of those boardies who has far too much Jeopardy! minutae knowledge, it looks like February, 2012 is going to be the first non-August month in a while (at least since I started recording Coryats 3 years ago) that will have no "regular" games in it, as Alex mentioned the College Tournament will be immediately followed by the Teachers' Tournament.
Bamaman wrote:What will be airing February 29?
That, and August 2012 may be the first ever August that has regular games.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

bpmod wrote:
dhkendall wrote:At the risk of sounding like one of those boardies who has far too much Jeopardy! minutae knowledge, it looks like February, 2012 is going to be the first non-August month in a while (at least since I started recording Coryats 3 years ago) that will have no "regular" games in it, as Alex mentioned the College Tournament will be immediately followed by the Teachers' Tournament.

Brian
Are you sure about that, because the schedule posted in this thread has Kids' Week running through August 3rd, which would presumably followed by reruns for the rest of the month? Unless you know something I don't? (About the August schedule, that is. I'm sure you know many things that I don't.)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

trainman wrote:It is published, but not for public consumption -- only to those who have subscriptions to the Nielsen data. (Most TV stations get the complete data for their local market, so they would be able to look up at least the local J! trends, should they have the mind to.)
Do you have a good online source for national ratings? We get the local books, but they're not consolidated to a national level.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

jeff6286 wrote:
bpmod wrote:

Brian
Are you sure about that, because the schedule posted in this thread has Kids' Week running through August 3rd, which would presumably followed by reruns for the rest of the month? Unless you know something I don't? (About the August schedule, that is. I'm sure you know many things that I don't.)
No. I wasn't paying close enough attention to that. I just zeroed in on the season 28 schedule taking us into August for what I believe is the first time ever.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

PatMorrison
Contributor

Post by PatMorrison »

If all goes according to plan, the next regular game will be Wednesday, February 29th.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

What was the taping schedule, Pat? Was last night's the second of the day or the fifth? And how long was it between your taping dates (if the show for the 29th wasn't taped immediately after Alex told you you had a nice long layoff coming up)?
PatMorrison
Contributor

Post by PatMorrison »

alietr wrote:What was the taping schedule, Pat? Was last night's the second of the day or the fifth? And how long was it between your taping dates (if the show for the 29th wasn't taped immediately after Alex told you you had a nice long layoff coming up)?
Last night's show was the second show of five filmed on the tape day, which I believe was November 16th. When the next show airs on Feb 29, I think I give a hearty laugh when Alex says something to the effect of "our champion has been chomping at the bit for a whole month," as I had just been off stage for about five minutes. Ah, the magic of television.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

PatMorrison wrote:When the next show airs on Feb 29, I think I give a hearty laugh
What do we call this verb tense?

Brian

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

bpmod wrote:
PatMorrison wrote:When the next show airs on Feb 29, I think I give a hearty laugh
Future Omniscient?
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

PatMorrison wrote:When the next show airs on Feb 29, I think I give a hearty laugh when Alex says something to the effect of "our champion has been chomping at the bit for a whole month," as I had just been off stage for about five minutes. Ah, the magic of television.
By the time this airs, no doubt your future laughter will mean something like "Trebek, you buffoon: You said 'chomping at the bit', when all educated persons know it's 'champing'. Never mind that Google searches turn up about 10x more hits for 'chomping', I know the truth. You're all idiots! Hahahahahahahah!"

Also, welcome to the board, Pat, and gratz on win No. 1.
In and out of the pool four times
HugoZ
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by HugoZ »

reddpen wrote:
PatMorrison wrote:When the next show airs on Feb 29, I think I give a hearty laugh when Alex says something to the effect of "our champion has been chomping at the bit for a whole month," as I had just been off stage for about five minutes. Ah, the magic of television.
By the time this airs, no doubt your future laughter will mean something like "Trebek, you buffoon: You said 'chomping at the bit', when all educated persons know it's 'champing'.
Basic subject-verb agreement.

The champion is champing at the bit, but the chompion is chomping at the bit.
Frank Hardy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Frank Hardy »

Alietr, are you familiar with tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com ?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

No ... but now I am. Thanks, Frank!
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

bpmod wrote:
past perfutational (past perfect/ future conditional)

Used when the parties in the conversation have different perception of how events have already transpired, where one party is waiting to see recorded results and thus perceive it as "events to be" and the other is part of those recorded results and thus regards them as "events past."
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Paucle wrote:
bpmod wrote:What do we call this verb tense?
past perfutational (past perfect/ future conditional)

Used when the parties in the conversation have different perception of how events have already transpired, where one party is waiting to see recorded results and thus perceive it as "events to be" and the other is part of those recorded results and thus regards them as "events past."
What happened to your original reply? I distinctly remember googling it and finding it somewhere else on the web.

Brian

chuck5982
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by chuck5982 »

dhkendall wrote:
legendneverdies wrote:As per a post on Invision:

TOC airdates not given, but no tourneys are listed in that post for November sweeps, so perhaps it will be in November(Alex said after the College TOurney final rerun in a pre-taped bit that Erin would be returning for the TofC this Fall)
College-Wed Feb 1-Tue Feb 14 2012
Teacher-Wed Feb 15-Tue Feb 28 2012
Teen-Mon Apr 30-Fri May 11 2012(week two from Washington DC)
DC POwer PLayers-Mon May 14-Fri May 18 2012
Kids' week-Mon July 30-Fri August 3 2012(season finale week)
"November" is "fall"? Yet again, Alex moves further and further away from being a Canadian. :shake:
The final piece of the puzzle fell into place last week when Kids Week was announced:

http://www.cbspressexpress.com/cbs-tele ... w?id=30906

All of this information that was posted before the season began turned out to be 100% accurate. How did Invision know this MONTHS before an official announcement was made on anything?
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

chuck5982 wrote:How did Invision know this MONTHS before an official announcement was made on anything?
I believe the original source over on The Game Show Forum (calling it "Invision" is similar to referring to this board as "phpBB") was an employee of a local station that carries J! -- obviously, those stations got the full schedule before the season started, but J! didn't release the info to the public at large until they were ready with press releases and other publicity material.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

From Lisa de Moraes' article in The Washington Post about the Power Players Tournament and WWTBAM's "American Pride Week":

“Jeopardy!” has a huge advantage over “Millionaire” heading into its dueling flag-waving, Memorial Day walk-up episodes. This season, “Jeopardy!” averages 9.1 million viewers a day; “Millionaire” averages 3.6 million.

“Jeopardy!” boasts that it’s the country’s No. 1-rated “quiz” show (a subsection of the “game” show genre, “Wheel of Fortune” being the nation’s most popular syndicated program) and reaches 25 million viewers each week.

That means 25 million viewers sample the show across its multiple broadcasts in the course of a week. That number makes advertisers happy, because the assumption is that viewers see an ad break.

Not making advertisers as happy: The “Jeopardy!” audience skews a very old 64.8 years — which means half of its audience is older than about 65. The median age for “Millionaire” is 62.2. (For comparison’s sake, the syndicated tabloid show “TMZ” has a median age of 45.2.