Random Questions

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

ACW
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Random Questions

Post by ACW »

1: For FJ, how do they make sure the contestants don't change their bids?

2: Is there a screen to see the other scores when wagering for DDs or FJ?

3: For the tourneys, how is it decided who selects first?

Last edited by ACW on Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mam418
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: 3 Utterly Random Questions

Post by mam418 »

1) It's a different screen. Sort of. It's the same physical screen, but once you enter your wager, and 'lock it in' - confirming your wager - that's done. You don't see it anymore on your screen, either. You couldn't change it even if you wanted to.

2) Yes. From the point of view of the contestants, it's above and to the left of the game board - more or less directly above the two main cameras. Nothing fancy, just white lights on a black background showing the score. (picture this sort of lights, but not color: http://athleticbusiness.com/buyers_guid ... s/1163.jpg)

3) Don't know... they probably randomly assign the podiums, whoever gets the champs spot picks first.
ACW

Post by ACW »

Thanks much :D
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

3. First alphabetically for the first round; subsequent rounds it's whoever scored highest in the previous round.
kslgbr
Contributor

Post by kslgbr »

I have a tournament-related question, and I'm not sure where the best place to put it is(I didn't want to start a new thread just for one question), so I will add my question here:
Do players on later quarterfinal shows know what the final totals are for players that have already played, which would be important for purposes of wild cards? I've always guessed no, because that would give an advantage to later players, particularly on the last show, because they would know exactly what they would need to get in order to secure a wild card spot. But I was thinking about this after the two losing players on the first show both finished with $1, which puts them out of the running and makes it easier for later players to get a wild card spot, and it would be important for the other players to know that.
ACW

Post by ACW »

That's a good question, and this is a fine place to put it (maybe make this the Random Question thread? :lol: )
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Those playing in a wild card situation are sequestered until their own games. It would be an unfair advantage for someone playing a later game to know what scores needed to be cleared for a win-or-lose spot in the semis.
dmleach
Damn Jeopardy! Hooligan

Post by dmleach »

ACW wrote:2: Is there a screen to see the other scores when wagering for DDs or FJ?
The Jeopardy! website has a 360-degree studio panorama where you can see the scoreboards the contestants use. They hang from the ceiling just to the left of the game board.
Miss Mellie
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Miss Mellie »

Thanks, seaborgium! Ma Mellie and I were just wondering about this.

(Also, if you play the last quarterfinal game, how much does it suck to have to sit in the green room all.day.long??)
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

Miss Mellie wrote:Thanks, seaborgium! Ma Mellie and I were just wondering about this.

(Also, if you play the last quarterfinal game, how much does it suck to have to sit in the green room all.day.long??)
Well, it's like this:

Amount of suckage having to sit in the green room all day long: .
Amount of anti-suckage getting to be in a quarterfinal at all: ..........................................................................

So it's okay. It's being the alternate that sucks.

The only real bother with playing last is that you get that much more time to get to know, like, and respect the other contestants that you will later be forced to grind mercilessly into gory pulps.

Rex
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

seaborgium wrote:3. First alphabetically for the first round; subsequent rounds it's whoever scored highest in the previous round.
Boo! Alphabetically early names already have enough advantage; they don't need any more pandering.

goo.gl/SlUoO
mam418
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by mam418 »

dmleach wrote:
ACW wrote:2: Is there a screen to see the other scores when wagering for DDs or FJ?
The Jeopardy! website has a 360-degree studio panorama where you can see the scoreboards the contestants use. They hang from the ceiling just to the left of the game board.
Cool! (And aw... that inspired an inordinate amount of nostalgia. Wanna go back!!)
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

dmleach wrote:
Always nice to see. Someday ...

Wondering where Johnny is in that, I didn't see him ...
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

dhkendall wrote:
dmleach wrote:
Always nice to see. Someday ...

Wondering where Johnny is in that, I didn't see him ...
He's the one wearing the satin jacket that's talking to the audience. I believe his podium is the tan one behind John Lauderdale to the left of the set.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
SkoolRN
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by SkoolRN »

mam418 wrote:
dmleach wrote:
Cool! (And aw... that inspired an inordinate amount of nostalgia. Wanna go back!!)
Me, too.
"Lefthanders have more enthusiasm for life. They sleep on the wrong side of the bed and their head gets more stagnant on that side."
Casey Stengel.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

I hope this isn't an inappropriate question, but I've never seen it addressed before, and hopefully Rex or seaborgium will know the answer. When the TOC participants are "sequestered" for the quarterfinal games, are they prohibited from having cell phones with them? I had wondered in the past if a friend or family member watching from the audience could ever try to signal somehow to a contestant and give them some sort of guidance on what kind of score they would have to beat to get a wild card. It would be even easier for someone to send a text message telling a player in the 5th QF game exactly what number they had to beat, so hopefully the show has some provision in place to prevent this. If they do prohibit or collect cell phones during this "sequestered" period, is that the only time, or is it against the rules to have a cell phone on you during any appearance on Jeopardy? Or any other game show for that matter? Imagine someone in the hotseat on WWTBAM, and their phone starts playing some Lady Gaga or Katy Perry. Since I've never seen this happen, I'm guessing there is a standard rule for any appearance on a televised program, but I've never seen it mentioned before.
billiej

Post by billiej »

jeff6286 wrote:\ Imagine someone in the hotseat on WWTBAM, and their phone starts playing some Lady Gaga or Katy Perry. Since I've never seen this happen, I'm guessing there is a standard rule for any appearance on a televised program, but I've never seen it mentioned before.
I can speak for WWTBAM, you have to put your phone and any other such devices into a locker that's in a room separate from the green room. No books or other print media are allowed, either.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I wanna work live there.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

alietr wrote:I wanna work live there.
In the locker? Or in the room with the locker in it? Or in the green room?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

jeff6286 wrote:
alietr wrote:I wanna work live there.
In the locker? Or in the room with the locker in it? Or in the green room?
The studio, damnit, the studio! (Grumble, grumble someone's trying to rack up some penalty points ...)