Audition Emails

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

pudge94
Contributor

Audition Emails

Post by pudge94 »

I got mine yesterday for DC (4/15, 9am). Anyone else? Got a 38 on the Central test btw.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Re: Audition Emails

Post by Paucle »

good luck! I didn't get anything, but then I completely forgot which audition city I picked. Could've been DC. Anyone remember all the sites? I wouldn't have strayed too far from the eastern seaboard, but anything up and down it or on the Great Lakes would've been ok, unless there was an SLC option again.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

Fwiw, the emails don't necessarily go out right after the tests. It can be months later, in fact. Just didn't want anyone to give up hope because they didn't get an email immediately. :)
pudge94
Contributor

Post by pudge94 »

Magna wrote:Fwiw, the emails don't necessarily go out right after the tests. It can be months later, in fact. Just didn't want anyone to give up hope because they didn't get an email immediately. :)
That's true. I'm just surprised that:

-they're starting early this time it seems.
-the gap between email and audition has widened. (was called for an audition in 2008, got the email on 4/23 for a 5/29 audition)
-no one else has mentioned getting an email. This place is usually swarming with posts regarding these when they come out.

*shrug*
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

pudge94 wrote:
Magna wrote:Fwiw, the emails don't necessarily go out right after the tests. It can be months later, in fact. Just didn't want anyone to give up hope because they didn't get an email immediately. :)
That's true. I'm just surprised that:

-they're starting early this time it seems.
-the gap between email and audition has widened. (was called for an audition in 2008, got the email on 4/23 for a 5/29 audition)
-no one else has mentioned getting an email. This place is usually swarming with posts regarding these when they come out.

*shrug*
Well, they stagger them - they'll send out the, say, Washington DC emails, then a few days/weeks/months later the Boston emails, then a few days/weeks/months later the Salt Lake City emails, then a few days/weeks/months later the Chicago emails, etc., depending on the order auditions are held, and when. (Note: Just pulled audition cities out of my ipurdia, not meant to be taken as the order the emails will actually come in.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
billiej
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by billiej »

dhkendall wrote:out of my ipurdia
If that's a new Apple product, you can count me out.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

billiej wrote:
dhkendall wrote:out of my ipurdia
If that's a new Apple product, you can count me out.
Actually, it's my way of a censor-bot on this board. While I like the fact that I can type "ass" with impunity here, as opposed to the Sony board (ass, ass, ass, ass, ass, ass, ass, ass, ass ... ok, that's out of my system), and imho that's the way the board *should* be, my whimsical sense of humour has had me "self-censor" my swears by putting them in another language, using Google Translate. (Besides, swears are always the first words we learn in another language anyways) In the past on this board, I've used languages with non-Latin alphabets (which is my preferred way, actually, so it's more obvious), but I decided to choose this language (I'll leave it up to this erudite group to figure out which one it is) just because I felt like it.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

dhkendall wrote: (Besides, swears are always the first words we learn in another language anyways)
True that. When I was a soccer referee about 25 years ago, I quickly learned how to swear in 10 languages -- and surprised more than one player with red cards for knowing them!!
mister black

Post by mister black »

Yes, in the past few years, the first e-mails have come out in February or so for one eastern city, then for LA auditions in April. Then more auditions have been announced periodically, every few weeks or months. As I recall, the non-LA west coast city (SF, Seattle, SLC) has tended to be one of the last to have auditions, usually Septemberish. This year that city was Sacramento.

In the past, someone has posted and monitored an "Audition Reportage" thread, listing boardies by audition city and test score, to see how we all do. Anyone care to take that on again this year?

To that end -- for me, Sacramento audition, Pacific time zone/Thursday test, scored 45.

Good luck all, great to hear that audition e-mails have started!
koozbane
Valued Contributor

Post by koozbane »

Congrats Pudge! And good luck! Last time I was at the NYC tryout, the email invite didn't come out til June. So here's hoping!
Doug527
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Doug527 »

I just checked through mine from last year, and I didn't get my audition e-mail until April 12 for an audition on May 2, in Boston.
Lifelong enthusiast. Season 28 contestant.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

pudge94 wrote:I got mine yesterday for DC (4/15, 9am). Anyone else? Got a 38 on the Central test btw.
Way to go! Best of luck, and let us know how you do.
ChemTeacher
J! Teachers Tournament 2012-B

Post by ChemTeacher »

I got my invite for the DC audition today. I got a 40 on the pacific time zone test.
tagNV
Member of Our Studio Audience

Post by tagNV »

ChemTeacher wrote:I got my invite for the DC audition today. I got a 40 on the pacific time zone test.
pudge94 wrote:I got mine yesterday for DC (4/15, 9am). Anyone else? Got a 38 on the Central test btw.
Anyone else find it odd the first 2 people to get an audition for DC did not take the Eastern test? :shock:
kristinsausville
2015 TOC'er

Post by kristinsausville »

tagNV wrote:
ChemTeacher wrote:I got my invite for the DC audition today. I got a 40 on the pacific time zone test.
Anyone else find it odd the first 2 people to get an audition for DC did not take the Eastern test? :shock:
I would, except a good friend of mine got a DC audition after taking the Eastern test. ;)
Follow me on Twitter: @ksausville
wakka

Post by wakka »

A buddy of mine got an audition email for the DC audition. His score was about 37 or 38 he says. I did roughly the same as him so I'm hoping I get one too..
MsNobody
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by MsNobody »

A friend and I both took the Jan 17th test and listed DC as our preferred city. She got an email about a week ago for an audition on April 15th. I see others here got messages about the same time. Since I haven't heard anything by now, can I assume I'm out of luck? Or is there any hope that I still might get an invitation in the next few weeks? Do they ever invite you to another city besides the one you select?

I didn't do as well as I had hoped on the test. I got somewhere between 36-38 --not sure I got some answers in fast enough. And I blanked out on a few I should have known. :( I don't know how my friend did.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

MsNobody wrote:A friend and I both took the Jan 17th test and listed DC as our preferred city. She got an email about a week ago for an audition on April 15th. I see others here got messages about the same time. Since I haven't heard anything by now, can I assume I'm out of luck? Or is there any hope that I still might get an invitation in the next few weeks? Do they ever invite you to another city besides the one you select?
I wouldn't give up hope entirely just yet... unless a "no expectations" philosophy keeps you sanguine. Last year there was a lag of three weeks (during which I bumped into Maggie Speak at TCONA in Las Vegas while the Show was auditioning folks there) between the first posts on the board from people invited to audition in Seattle and when my email finally arrived... but arrive it did. And there was much rejoicing.

Seems unlikely you'd be invited to a different city -- has anyone here had that happen?
In and out of the pool four times
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

If they invite you to an audition, are you supposed to contact them if you are unable to make it on that particular date? If so, then they could wait a couple of weeks to see how many "cancellations" they get, then send out additional invites in order to fill the available slots. I mean, you wouldn't want to waste your time setting up 48 chairs and then have only 37 people show up, would you?
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

jeff6286 wrote:If they invite you to an audition, are you supposed to contact them if you are unable to make it on that particular date? If so, then they could wait a couple of weeks to see how many "cancellations" they get, then send out additional invites in order to fill the available slots. I mean, you wouldn't want to waste your time setting up 48 chairs and then have only 37 people show up, would you?
Other than a funeral, I can't think of a reason to miss a Jeopardy! audition. And even then, only if it's my own.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.