Tuesday, February 7, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, econgator, dhkendall, trainman

Re: Tuesday, February 7, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Postby bpmod » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:23 pm

seaborgium wrote:
bpmod wrote:Now to think of another way to obfuscate a QR code.

Brian

Do you want to change what it says, or make it unreadable? I know that the large squares in or near the corners help the code reader figure out which way it's oriented. Also, there's a row of alternating blacks and whites between the bottom-most lines of the two top squares, and a column of them between the right-most lines of the two left squares. I don't know what those do (the Wikipedia article says "timing," but I'm not sure what that refers to), but altering those might go a long way toward creating an unreadable QR code that still looks like one (and can be repaired with a little work by someone aware of the patterns).


I want to make it readable, but as gibberish, while keeping it readable another way to provide the correct output. I guess the whole reason for the various control codes within the QR code is so that it can be read only one way.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.
User avatar
bpmod
Rank
 
Posts: 3772
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:26 am
Location: Hamilton Ontario

Re: Tuesday, February 7, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Postby econgator » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:29 pm

seaborgium wrote:I don't know what those do (the Wikipedia article says "timing," but I'm not sure what that refers to)


Timing in relation to printed codes generally has to do with positioning/location, so that the reader correctly interprets what it thinks it's reading. For example: all the marks on the side of a Scantron are timing marks, as are the lines at the beginning and end of a UPC code.
User avatar
econgator
Let's Go Mets!
 
Posts: 4078
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:32 am

Re: Tuesday, February 7, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Postby bpmod » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:32 pm

In any event, you'll get a better idea of what I'm getting at after Presidents' Day is over.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.
User avatar
bpmod
Rank
 
Posts: 3772
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:26 am
Location: Hamilton Ontario

Re: Tuesday, February 7, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Postby trainman » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:18 am

bpmod wrote:I want to make it readable, but as gibberish, while keeping it readable another way to provide the correct output.


You mean something like this?

Image
User avatar
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 547
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:27 pm

Re: Tuesday, February 7, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Postby TenPoundHammer » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:21 pm

Hey look, it's Nyan Cat's cousin!
Ten Pound Hammer

Windmill, windmill for the land / Is everybody in?
User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Not J! Contestant Material
 
Posts: 3130
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:59 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: Tuesday, February 7, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Postby bpmod » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:36 pm

trainman wrote:
bpmod wrote:I want to make it readable, but as gibberish, while keeping it readable another way to provide the correct output.


You mean something like this?

<image snipped>

Actually, no. I have lots of cutesy QR codes.

I was thinking more of this:
Image

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.
User avatar
bpmod
Rank
 
Posts: 3772
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:26 am
Location: Hamilton Ontario

Re: Tuesday, February 7, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Postby Volante » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:51 pm

bpmod wrote:I want to make it readable, but as gibberish, while keeping it readable another way to provide the correct output. I guess the whole reason for the various control codes within the QR code is so that it can be read only one way.

Brian


Ahh, I think I know what you're getting at.

Basically, you want to have what visually looks like a QR code with its three tell-tale alignment blocks, but in the main data portion, use a different matrix algorithm, like Data Matrix ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_Matrix ).
User avatar
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur
 
Posts: 2697
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:42 pm

Re: Tuesday, February 7, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Postby bpmod » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:13 pm

Volante wrote:
bpmod wrote:I want to make it readable, but as gibberish, while keeping it readable another way to provide the correct output. I guess the whole reason for the various control codes within the QR code is so that it can be read only one way.

Brian


Ahh, I think I know what you're getting at.

Basically, you want to have what visually looks like a QR code with its three tell-tale alignment blocks, but in the main data portion, use a different matrix algorithm, like Data Matrix ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_Matrix ).

Sort of. But even simpler.

In my example above, I have modified a valid QR code in one very simple way. Anybody can put it back with very little effort and no special (hardware/software) tools. It cannot be read by a reader (without knowing how it was altered), as it does not appear to be a valid QR code. (That is, to the reader... the naked eye sees it as a valid QR code.)

What I had been hoping is that, instead of the reader simply dismissing it as invalid, it would read, but output gibberish. My intent was to have anybody reading it come to the conclusion that the content was scrambled before the QR code was created from it. Or simply that the content is supposed to be gibberish.

Security through obfuscation.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.
User avatar
bpmod
Rank
 
Posts: 3772
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:26 am
Location: Hamilton Ontario

Re: Tuesday, February 7, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Postby Volante » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:58 pm

bpmod wrote:
Volante wrote:
bpmod wrote:I want to make it readable, but as gibberish, while keeping it readable another way to provide the correct output. I guess the whole reason for the various control codes within the QR code is so that it can be read only one way.

Brian


Ahh, I think I know what you're getting at.

Basically, you want to have what visually looks like a QR code with its three tell-tale alignment blocks, but in the main data portion, use a different matrix algorithm, like Data Matrix ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_Matrix ).

Sort of. But even simpler.

In my example above, I have modified a valid QR code in one very simple way. Anybody can put it back with very little effort and no special (hardware/software) tools. It cannot be read by a reader (without knowing how it was altered), as it does not appear to be a valid QR code. (That is, to the reader... the naked eye sees it as a valid QR code.)

What I had been hoping is that, instead of the reader simply dismissing it as invalid, it would read, but output gibberish. My intent was to have anybody reading it come to the conclusion that the content was scrambled before the QR code was created from it. Or simply that the content is supposed to be gibberish.

Security through obfuscation.

Brian

Checksums are harsh mistresses.

The only way, I'd imagine, to have a QR code return gibberish is to make it valid gibberish.
User avatar
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur
 
Posts: 2697
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:42 pm

Re: Tuesday, February 7, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Postby bpmod » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:31 pm

So, I leave it as a challenge to anybody to come up with what the secret code is.

I know there are so many here that like this kind of challenge.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.
User avatar
bpmod
Rank
 
Posts: 3772
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:26 am
Location: Hamilton Ontario

Re: Tuesday, February 7, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Postby jeff6286 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:45 pm

bpmod wrote:Image


If I look at that long enough, and tilt my head just right, I think I can see a spaceship. Is that right, is it a spaceship?
User avatar
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
 
Posts: 2994
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:34 pm
Location: Indianapolis, IN

Re: Tuesday, February 7, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Postby Paucle » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:01 pm

jeff6286 wrote:
bpmod wrote:[img]removed[/img]

If I look at that long enough, and tilt my head just right, I think I can see a spaceship. Is that right, is it a spaceship?

I see the dragon from Tic Tac Dough
User avatar
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer
 
Posts: 3203
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:36 pm
Location: near Albany NY

Re: Tuesday, February 7, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Postby Magna » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:29 pm

Paucle wrote:
jeff6286 wrote:
bpmod wrote:[img]removed[/img]

If I look at that long enough, and tilt my head just right, I think I can see a spaceship. Is that right, is it a spaceship?

I see the dragon from Tic Tac Dough

A bulldog?
User avatar
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy
 
Posts: 1898
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:37 pm

Re: Tuesday, February 7, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Postby TenPoundHammer » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:50 pm

I see 72, which just happens to be Numberwang.

(Seriously, I never could see those stupid magic eye pictures. Probably because I have a lazy eye and am so nearsighted that I can see my brain.)
Ten Pound Hammer

Windmill, windmill for the land / Is everybody in?
User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Not J! Contestant Material
 
Posts: 3130
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:59 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: Tuesday, February 7, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Postby Volante » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:53 pm

Magna wrote:
Paucle wrote:
jeff6286 wrote:If I look at that long enough, and tilt my head just right, I think I can see a spaceship. Is that right, is it a spaceship?

I see the dragon from Tic Tac Dough

A bulldog?

It's a schooner!

On a serious note, I wouldn't know where to begin. I would guess it'd have to start with decoding what's there by hand as all the basic features don't appear tampered with...but even there I'm at a loss.
User avatar
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur
 
Posts: 2697
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:42 pm

Re: Tuesday, February 7, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Postby bpmod » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:00 pm

No. It's not something that you can see with your eyes. It has to be decoded like a QR code, because, well, it IS a QR code.

In light of the guesses so far, I'm afraid the answer is going to be very anti-climactic.

It just needs to be looked at in a certain way before the reader can read it.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.
User avatar
bpmod
Rank
 
Posts: 3772
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:26 am
Location: Hamilton Ontario

Re: Tuesday, February 7, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Postby alamble » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:10 pm

Paucle wrote:
jeff6286 wrote:
bpmod wrote:[img]removed[/img]

If I look at that long enough, and tilt my head just right, I think I can see a spaceship. Is that right, is it a spaceship?

I see the dragon from Tic Tac Dough

I am a little ashamed to admit that my six-year-old self was scared s---less by that stupid dragon. No likey.
alamble
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
 
Posts: 643
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:09 pm

Re: Tuesday, February 7, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Postby bpmod » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:16 pm

alamble wrote:
Paucle wrote:I see the dragon from Tic Tac Dough

I am a little ashamed to admit that my six-year-old self was scared s---less by that stupid dragon. No likey.

I had completely forgotten about it until this mention. I was a bit older than six, though, so I don't think I had any trauma as a result of it back then.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.
User avatar
bpmod
Rank
 
Posts: 3772
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:26 am
Location: Hamilton Ontario

Re: Tuesday, February 7, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Postby dhkendall » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:59 pm

Volante wrote:Checksums are harsh mistresses.


That is the geekiest thing I have ever seen. My inner geek just orgasmed from reading that.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings
User avatar
dhkendall
Moderator, Archivist, and Servant to the J! Community
 
Posts: 4658
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:49 am
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba

Re: Tuesday, February 7, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Postby TenPoundHammer » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:01 pm

bpmod wrote:
alamble wrote:
Paucle wrote:I see the dragon from Tic Tac Dough

I am a little ashamed to admit that my six-year-old self was scared s---less by that stupid dragon. No likey.

I had completely forgotten about it until this mention. I was a bit older than six, though, so I don't think I had any trauma as a result of it back then.

Brian


I grew up with the 1990 revival of Tic Tac Dough, so I had a rapping dragon and dragonslayer, and Mr. YOU WIIIIIIIIIIIIIIN!!!!!!!! himself, Patrick Wayne.
Ten Pound Hammer

Windmill, windmill for the land / Is everybody in?
User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Not J! Contestant Material
 
Posts: 3130
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:59 pm
Location: Michigan

PreviousNext

Return to Game Discussions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], bomtr, Google [Bot], SavoyGirl and 11 guests