Monday, February 20, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alietr
Site Admin

Re: Monday, February 20, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by alietr »

thejeopardyfan wrote:
alietr wrote: GOK.
What does that mean?
(My Avatar) Only Knows.
barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by barandall800 »

Miss Mellie wrote:
davey wrote:
Miss Mellie wrote: I still don't understand the Satie clue. Gymnopedies...Nocturnes...Gnossiennes...I would have guessed any of these before "opus" (no offense, opusthepenguin).
But I believe there are only 3 Gymnopedies, and they ARE known as numbers 1, 2, & 3, violating the premise of the question. I was momentarily confused by the wording, but after a second I realized they were seeking the general term, not something specific to Satie...
Thanks, davey, but I'm sorry; I still don't understand. Satie didn't call his works opuses (opi?) so, as Magna states, it seems like there could have been a number of acceptable responses?
He didn't call them opuses, but they were all assigned opus numbers. I got confused by the wording of the clue as you did, and answered "Gymnopedies," but then realized afterwards that of course there were only a few of them.

There is a Wikipedia article on the subject, which might help (I know it clarified things for me a bit, and I even work at a sheet music store, so I see opus numbers all over the place):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opus_number
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

alietr wrote:
thejeopardyfan wrote:
alietr wrote:GOK.
What does that mean?
(My Avatar) Only Knows.
remember to come back and edit that when your avatar changes :)
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

barandall800 wrote:He didn't call them opuses, but they were all assigned opus numbers. I got confused by the wording of the clue as you did, and answered "Gymnopedies," but then realized afterwards that of course there were only a few of them.

There is a Wikipedia article on the subject, which might help (I know it clarified things for me a bit, and I even work at a sheet music store, so I see opus numbers all over the place):
The confusing thing is, unless the compositions' names go by "op. 1" or whatever, there's little reason to call them "opus numbers" instead of just "numbers" (or some broader term like "catalog numbers," or a generic term like "identification numbers," "series numbers," etc.)

The really confusing thing is, Satie didn't really use opus numbers (except "op. 62," which apparently was a joke.) He assigned numbers to some works that were parts of a series or of the same genre, and he simply called them "numbers." For example, there's an Ogive No. 2 and also a Gnossienne No. 2. You see other composers doing this - e.g., Brahms' Symphony No. 1 in C minor, Op. 68, where the opus number is 68, not 1. So Satie wasn't really assigning opus numbers to his works as the clue said. The more you know about what an odd duck Satie was, the harder it would be to imagine him systematically cataloguing his compositions.

Although the clue focused on the numbers Satie himself assigned, as far as I know no one else assigned opus numbers to his works either - except his father, who apparently gave fake opus numbers to a few of them, to make them seem more important.
Last edited by Magna on Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

bpmod wrote:
legendneverdies wrote:
bpmod wrote:I also think that there be spoilers there. They are talking about Wednesday's game in the past tense.

Brian
It's known she'll be in the semis to those who follow the wild card scores, since at least two wild cards are known by the end of the fourth QF game, and hers is the highest of the week so far. Not much of a spoiler unless they say whether she wins her SF game or not.
Well, they seem to inply that
Spoiler
she loses
on Wednesday.

Brian
Regardless, they did say she'll be in the semi-finals. Unless you're a hard core Jeopardy! geek (read: a boardie), you probably haven't been keeping track of the highest scores amongst non-winners over the tournament, so that was spoilerage in itself.

I didn't quite see the same implication you did, though, Brian, perhaps it's just a bit too subtle.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Magna wrote:
barandall800 wrote:He didn't call them opuses, but they were all assigned opus numbers. I got confused by the wording of the clue as you did, and answered "Gymnopedies," but then realized afterwards that of course there were only a few of them.

The confusing thing is, unless the compositions' names go by "op. 1" or whatever, there's little reason to call them "opus numbers" instead of just "numbers" (or some broader term like "catalog numbers," or a generic term like "identification numbers," "series numbers," etc.)

The really confusing thing is, Satie didn't really use opus numbers (except "op. 62," which apparently was a joke.) He assigned numbers to some works that were parts of a series or of the same genre, and he simply called them "numbers." For example, there's an Ogive No. 2 and also a Gnossienne No. 2. You see other composers doing this - e.g., Brahms' Symphony No. 1 in C minor, Op. 68, where the opus number is 68, not 1. So Satie wasn't really assigning opus numbers to his works as the clue said. The more you know about what an odd duck Satie was, the harder it would be to imagine him systematically cataloguing his compositions.

Although the clue focused on the numbers Satie himself assigned, as far as I know no one else assigned opus numbers to his works either - except his father, who apparently gave fake opus numbers to a few of them, to make them seem more important.
Opus numbers are, best I can tell, numbers assigned to works by the composer, regardless of rhyme or reason. As a result, they're more of a curio to begin with, rather than a strict sense of organization.

Catalog numbers are where you're more likely to find something systematic as they're the work of catalogers who have more interest in keeping works separate. (Also, catalog numbers are not opus numbers.)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

CyrusChan wrote:What else could people have gone from Northern California city?

I can only think of SF, Sacramento, and Benicia(doubt that). When I hear NorCal , I think Bay and north of it.
Matter of perception. San Francisco seemed more central California to me on the map — and as I said, I think of NorCal as being Eureka, Redding, etc.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

dhkendall wrote:
Regardless, they did say she'll be in the semi-finals. Unless you're a hard core Jeopardy! geek (read: a boardie), you probably haven't been keeping track of the highest scores amongst non-winners over the tournament,
Yeah, you'd have to be an uberdork to follow the wild card standings as the tournament goes on.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
CyrusChan wrote:What else could people have gone from Northern California city?

I can only think of SF, Sacramento, and Benicia(doubt that). When I hear NorCal , I think Bay and north of it.
Matter of perception. San Francisco seemed more central California to me on the map — and as I said, I think of NorCal as being Eureka, Redding, etc.
It all depends on where the population is - look at a map of California's population distribution, and San Fran is definitely in the northern part.

Canadians are well experienced in this, for example, London, Ontario is sometimes termed to be in Western Ontario (it's even the home of the University of Western Ontario), partly due to the fact that it was originally the western part (before the northern areas were added in 1912), but also because it's definitely in the west of where the population is. (Places like Kenora (a 2 hours drive for me) are considered in Northwestern Ontario, even though it's considerably west of London).
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

Volante wrote: (Also, catalog numbers are not opus numbers.)
No, but opus numbers are (arguably) a type of catalog number, as long as the composer (or publisher, or whoever else assigned the opus number) is trying to keep the compositions in some kind of order, which they usually are. The numbers aren't random, though they're also not necessarily chronological, which is what scholarly cataloguers usually aim for.

This is kind of an academic question when it comes to Satie, though, who didn't assign any real opus numbers - just the fake one.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

dhkendall wrote:(Places like Kenora (a 2 hours drive for me) are considered in Northwestern Ontario, even though it's considerably west of London).
Not to pick a nit, but I like to draw a distinction between "west of" (which Kenora isn't to London) and "further west than" (which it definitely is).

And when I started to read your post, I thought you were going with the old "London is farther south than Northern California" route (which, of course, isn't true... but Point Pelee is).

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
HugoZ
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by HugoZ »

What does Jerry Seinfeld yell when he fails to come up with a Triple Stumper about a sundial?
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Onairb wrote:Trainman, if you're a TV Guide collector, you'll know that in the early days, the 'Northern California' edition included just about all of the markets/stations seen on that list.
As it did all the way to the end. :D The scan above was from 1997, but I also have one from 1956:

Would you happen to know, roughly, what year they launced the San Francisco Metro' edition...which included Sacramento and Monterey listings, but not the 'North Coast' ones?
Sorry, I don't know the exact date, but I have an example from September 1971 in my collection:

In the 2000s, there was also a "San Francisco County" edition, which was intended for cable subscribers (no idea why they went with "San Francisco County" instead of "San Francisco Cable" or "AT&T San Francisco," either of which would have matched similar "cable" editions elsewhere):

Unfortunately, it seems that no one at TV Guide kept careful track of when various editions began and ended -- part of the problem is that, for much of the magazine's run, the local editions were entirely the responsibility of various regional editorial offices. And the current owners of the TV Guide trademarks and current publishers of TV Guide magazine (two separate companies) don't particularly care anyway.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

HugoZ wrote:What does Jerry Seinfeld yell when he fails to come up with a Triple Stumper about a sundial?
I don't know, but what I yell whenever a TV is tuned to Seinfeld would probably trip the censors if we were still at the Sony boards.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
HugoZ wrote:What does Jerry Seinfeld yell when he fails to come up with a Triple Stumper about a sundial?
I don't know, but what I yell whenever a TV is tuned to Seinfeld would probably trip the censors if we were still at the Sony boards.
Time to watch something new, man.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Magna wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Time to watch something new, man.
Regular Show it is. Got it.
Onairb
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Onairb »

trainman wrote:
Onairb wrote:Trainman, if you're a TV Guide collector, you'll know that in the early days, the 'Northern California' edition included just about all of the markets/stations seen on that list.
As it did all the way to the end. :D The scan above was from 1997, but I also have one from 1956:

Would you happen to know, roughly, what year they launced the San Francisco Metro' edition...which included Sacramento and Monterey listings, but not the 'North Coast' ones?
Sorry, I don't know the exact date, but I have an example from September 1971 in my collection:

In the 2000s, there was also a "San Francisco County" edition, which was intended for cable subscribers (no idea why they went with "San Francisco County" instead of "San Francisco Cable" or "AT&T San Francisco," either of which would have matched similar "cable" editions elsewhere):

Unfortunately, it seems that no one at TV Guide kept careful track of when various editions began and ended -- part of the problem is that, for much of the magazine's run, the local editions were entirely the responsibility of various regional editorial offices. And the current owners of the TV Guide trademarks and current publishers of TV Guide magazine (two separate companies) don't particularly care anyway.
By about 1992, TV GUIDE was being published by an office full of suit-and-tie-wearing chimps from the CareerBuilder.com Super Bowl ads. :roll:
As for channel listings, that 1971 list is more or less the lineup(and format) i grew up with; just swap channels 14 and 60 around 1979. :)
I even remember when they dropped staples, and added cable listings, on (I think)back to back weeks in '81! :mrgreen:
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

Having just watched this game and her semifinal today, I finally figured out who Kathryn Wendling reminds me of: Sela Ward.
In and out of the pool four times
gloriaclemente
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gloriaclemente »

My hubby and I were trying to think of who she reminded us of too! We came up with Katherine Heigl...
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

reddpen wrote:Having just watched this game and her semifinal today, I finally figured out who Kathryn Wendling reminds me of: Sela Ward.
gloriaclemente wrote:My hubby and I were trying to think of who she reminded us of too! We came up with Katherine Heigl...
Mmm... Reddpen gets my vote so far, but I'm thinking of someone else still. Gotta track her down. It's someone I've seen a lot, but in only very limited situations, which means she's probably a guest star on an L&O episode I've seen 500 times.