FJs for the 2/20/12 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJs did you solve correctly for the 2/20/12 week?

Poll ended at Wed May 09, 2012 8:51 pm

This French painter wrote, "I am good for nothing except painting and gardening"
77%
In 1893 the British established the Durand line, now the boundary, much in the news since 2001, between these 2 countries
47%
In Chapter 1 of the Acts of the Apostles, Matthias is chosen to replace him
87%
On the eve of Earth Day, 2011, he became the first performer inducted into the Colorado Music Hall of Fame
90%
Quoting a famous line of his, a 2011 biography of this man was titled "And so it goes"
37%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I checked all five above.
13%
:( :( :( :( :( I missed all the FJs.
No votes
WAR, WHO YA GOT? Daily Double: Punic Wars: Rome vs. ____
79%
AUTOBIOGRAPHIES $2000: A militant & prisoner: "Soul on Ice"
36%
U.S. GEOGRAPHY $1000: This waterfall in Yosemite National Park is the highest continuous fall in North America at 1,612 feet
12%

Total votes: 104

nserven
At the Clam Shack

Re: FJs for the 2/20/12 week

Post by nserven »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :( :(

Said India/Pakistan on Tuesday. Ribbon Falls & Gerry were stand & stares.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :( :(

Some tough extra questions there: no hope on the autobiography or the waterfall.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Looks like "Prior to Friday's episode, INHO Ribbon Falls." might've been a good poll candidate! Can we run it a week late? Although the current 95% miss rate certainly gives us some idea. Very few people are admitting they missed but HOI.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
:( :( :(

Back to average. 3/5 this week. And I see that Mark has once again found that list I keep trying to keep hidden. (I've mentioned it before... the not terribly long list of "things bpmod got wrong this week".)
dhkendall wrote:For the US Geography question, it went something like this:

Me: "oh, I can picture it in my head! I know this one and it isn't coming to me! Shoot! I'm sure I'm going to kick myself when the answer is revealed."

[beep]

Alex: "The correct response is 'What is Ribbon Falls?'"

Me: :shock: "Or not."
Same here, except I then carried on with "I didn't know they wanted the type of falls". (Living in the City of Waterfalls, I know lots about the different types.)
goforthetie wrote:Bridal Veil Falls was the only falls in Yosemite I could think of (other than Upper/Lower Yosemite Falls, of course). No hope on the other two.
You mean there's another Bridal Veil Falls? I only know the famous one.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

Paucle wrote:Looks like "Prior to Friday's episode, INHO Ribbon Falls." might've been a good poll candidate! Can we run it a week late? Although the current 95% miss rate certainly gives us some idea. Very few people are admitting they missed but HOI.
I think I'd heard of it. At the very least, I knew when the clue came up that there was another waterfall in Yosemite (other than BV and Yosemite) that was semi-notable, and when Alex said Ribbon Falls it kind of rang a bell. But that could just be my memory playing tricks on me...
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Add me to the "never heard of Ribbon Falls" crowd.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Curse you, Barrett, for selecting Ribbon Falls as the third question! I was soooo close. I've even been to Yosemite a few times, and I certainly didn't remember about Ribbon Falls.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

goforthetie wrote:
Paucle wrote:Looks like "Prior to Friday's episode, INHO Ribbon Falls." might've been a good poll candidate! Can we run it a week late? Although the current 95% miss rate certainly gives us some idea. Very few people are admitting they missed but HOI.
I think I'd heard of it. At the very least, I knew when the clue came up that there was another waterfall in Yosemite (other than BV and Yosemite) that was semi-notable, and when Alex said Ribbon Falls it kind of rang a bell. But that could just be my memory playing tricks on me...
At the right time of year, you can't turn around in Yosemite without seeing a dozen waterfalls. That being said, I could have named a half dozen or so falls (add Vernal and Nevada to your list) but NHOI when it comes to Ribbon. The fact that it's dry most of the year no doubt contributes to its lack of fame.
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

Woof wrote: At the right time of year, you can't turn around in Yosemite without seeing a dozen waterfalls. That being said, I could have named a half dozen or so falls (add Vernal and Nevada to your list) but NHOI when it comes to Ribbon. The fact that it's dry most of the year no doubt contributes to its lack of fame.
That's a good point. Vernal I definitely remember, now that you mention it, but online pictures of Ribbon seem pretty familiar to me too. Unfortunately I haven't been to Yosemite in over a decade, and I'm not sure where the photos I took on that trip are, so who really knows...
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

If I ever go, it's going to be a spring trip. I'd kill to see the Frazil ice!
earendel
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by earendel »

The only reason I knew Ribbon Falls was that our trivia team tripped up on this at a contest. The category was U.S. landmarks and we were shown pictures and given locations. We couldn't come up with an answer, nor did any other team.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

I can't honestly say I've NEVER heard of Ribbon Falls. It may be that I heard the name but it would have been long ago and made no impression on me. I certainly didn't remember it on this night, and DID remember Bridal Veil.
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

:( :( :mrgreen: :( :(
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
:mrgreen: :( :shock:

And Judas is polling at exactly 90%...heh.

NHO Ribbon Falls before that clue, which is kinda surprising, but I'm obviously not alone.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

xxaaaxx wrote:And Judas is polling at exactly 90%...heh.
And John Denver has an even higher rate! :shock: Good thing he went into music instead of betraying the Messiah, or no one would know who he was!
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

:( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

For the season:
FJ: 68-47
First third:46-29
Extras: 28-41
TOC: 5-5