Audition Emails

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

katiedidwhat
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Audition Emails

Post by katiedidwhat »

bpmod wrote:Other than a funeral, I can't think of a reason to miss a Jeopardy! audition. And even then, only if it's my own.
I had to miss TWO auditions for the same reason: the dates were within a week of when I was due to give birth. And the audition cities were 3 and 5 hours away by car, respectively.

It all worked out in the end, though. :D
alamble
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by alamble »

jeff6286 wrote:If they invite you to an audition, are you supposed to contact them if you are unable to make it on that particular date? If so, then they could wait a couple of weeks to see how many "cancellations" they get, then send out additional invites in order to fill the available slots. I mean, you wouldn't want to waste your time setting up 48 chairs and then have only 37 people show up, would you?
Yes, you are, and they have been known to be quite accommodating when it comes to rescheduling; I think someone last year ended up auditioning in an entirely different city from his original selection.
wakka

Post by wakka »

Anyone got an audition that got one last year??? My buddy got an audition and I didn't get one but I got one last year and he didn't. Does this affect my ability to receive another audition?
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

You're not eligible to take the online test for 18 months from the date you attend an in-person audition.
http://www.jeopardy.com/beacontestant/contestantfaqs/
Last edited by Magna on Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

wakka wrote:Anyone got an audition that got one last year??? My buddy got an audition and I didn't get one but I got one last year and he didn't. Does this affect my ability to receive another audition?
Your name isn't Jeff Kirby by any chance, is it?

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
MsNobody
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by MsNobody »

I've auditioned before and both times I got the email about a month ahead of time. So based on that, these emails are earlier than I would have expected.

Even thought I didn't get a call, I thought I did well on my second audition, so I was getting my hopes up for this one...and so far no invite. Oh well. I know they used to keep people in the pool for a year, and now that time has increased to 18 months. Do they still have the online test and auditions every year, or do we have to wait until 2014?
Rocketman83

Post by Rocketman83 »

Allow me to join the throng of east coast testers who will be auditioning on Apr 15 in DC. Mine's at 3 pm, which is a good thing, as I'm supposed to be bowling in a tournament in Richmond that morning. Fair warning for anyone travelling north on I-95 after about noon - keep an eye on your rear view mirror for a rapidly approaching orange PT Cruiser - then get the heck out of the way! :o I think I got only 34 right, but must have gotten credit for one or more close calls (on the test, not driving!)
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

Rocketman83 wrote: I think I got only 34 right, but must have gotten credit for one or more close calls (on the test, not driving!)
Do you recall what the close calls were? (Maybe post in another discussion.)
euripides

Post by euripides »

My audition is in Washington on April 15th at 9:00. I have no idea how many questions I got right. If you would have asked me immediately after the test, I would have said I bombed it.
eagle121203

Post by eagle121203 »

Magna wrote:You're not eligible to take the online test for 18 months from the date you attend an in-person audition.
http://www.jeopardy.com/beacontestant/contestantfaqs/
This might be unfortunate for me. I am not sure, depending on my situation. It seems like they HAVE called me to auditions in consecutive years, but maybe they have not. I was in Orlando at the end of April 2011. This places me in the database until 11/1/2012. I did pass again in January and I am hoping to surprise the wife with a trip to Boston in the spring whenever that audition is. I suppose we can go anyway, but she would be less likely to say "we can't afford it" if the invitation was from some guy that Sean Connery mocks on Saturday Night Live. :lol:

It will be six years of marriage and plus she beat breast cancer last year so I would like to take her. We have always wanted to go to New England and the Braves fan typing this has always wanted to go to Fenway Park. I don't care where we sit.
Fools hate to be governed poorly, while the brilliant hate to be governed at all.
jan
Contributor

Post by jan »

Has anyone gotten a New York audition invitation yet? In 2010, I got mine in mid-February.

I see that some people have posted their scores on the online test. Are those just guesstimates, or is there some way to learn your actual score?
earendel

Post by earendel »

jan wrote:Has anyone gotten a New York audition invitation yet? In 2010, I got mine in mid-February.

I see that some people have posted their scores on the online test. Are those just guesstimates, or is there some way to learn your actual score?
I don't think anyone has reported getting a New York City audition invite. As for the scores, they're guesstimates.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
diablo456

Post by diablo456 »

I just received my audition e-mail for Dallas. Date is Wednesday, March 28. FYI, my qualifying test score was a 44. (BTW, I know this score from having looked at the test transcript about 12 hours post-test and self-grading).
Case
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Case »

Got an email today inviting me to the Dallas audition Tuesday March 27 at 11:30. I think I scored 40 or 41 on the Central Test (must check that thread, since I've forgotten exactly).

*it was 40.*
Last edited by Case on Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

Congrats Case and diablo! Early this time around... last time they were in Dallas it was in mid-May.

*anxiously watching the inbox to see if I made the cut this year*
Case
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Case »

lisa0012 wrote:Congrats Case and diablo! Early this time around... last time they were in Dallas it was in mid-May.

Thanks! When I went four years ago it was in May, so I was surprised this year is March.

Hope to see you there! Two Aggies on the show in a season would be awesome. :D
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

Case wrote:
lisa0012 wrote:Congrats Case and diablo! Early this time around... last time they were in Dallas it was in mid-May.

Thanks! When I went four years ago it was in May, so I was surprised this year is March.

Hope to see you there! Two Aggies on the show in a season would be awesome. :D
I was at those auditions too! I believe I was there on Thursday morning.

The more Aggies on J! the better! Whoop!
gnuppet

Post by gnuppet »

hello, i am new here.

just curious if any boston people have gotten emails yet? i got a 44 on the pacific time zone test (that test was the only one that fit my schedule, so hopefully they wont hold that against me that i took it in the "wrong" time zone)

i've never been to a tryout before so i'm hoping that i get an email!
emilyspere1
Contributor

Post by emilyspere1 »

I'm slated for Dallas on 3/29.
TreehugginCowgirl
Best Self-Destruct Button

Post by TreehugginCowgirl »

I'll see you there Emily! I'm slated for Dallas on the 29th as well. I'm still sort of in shock, because I thought I only got 34 right on the central test. I must have gotten credit for a few partial answers. On another note, is there a thread that has more information about the format of the auditions? Thanks!

Erin