Thursday, March 1, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Irvine: Is there a there there?

Post by OrangeSAM »

Wimple wrote:
DBear wrote:Was there anything in the Irvine clue that would lead to Ca?
I got it as I lived there for 5 years and also you pass that RV park on the 5. I never considered Irvine particularly famous tho and wouldn't have gotten it otherwise.
Also - shoe peg corn was described as "popular". Popular with who?
Got final by means of a total WAG.
I agree it's difficult to pick something distinguishing about Irvine other than UC Irvine ("Zot!"). A city of 200,000+ awash in the Southern California metropolis. In most states, it would be a big deal.

As for the RV park, I recognized it on an HGTV "House Hunters"-style RV show a month or two ago, although even there they simply said it was south of Los Angeles.
OCSam
chuck5982
Jeopardy! Fan

Re: Thursday, March 1, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by chuck5982 »

StevenH wrote:This was a great game, but the boards were ridiculously easy. I thought that it was a very well-written board, but too easy.
How about that Animation category in DJ? Easy 5/5 for me.
MarkBarrett wrote:No one got Martha Plimpton? Too bad. She does excellent work on the show.
Other than "Raising Hope", she is also well known for her role on "The Goonies".
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

She was in the Steve Martin movie, Parenthood back in the late 1980s as well.

Judges.....On the "I-T" category, the first clue said you put these on a 1040A form. I said Income tax deductions. Alex never said they wanted one word starting with it.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I knew Irvine simply because I've heard the name a few times and knew it was in California.

Also, Grand Rapids, MI is almost 200,000 people, but I never seem to hear anyone not from Michigan ever talk about it. Or Lansing, for that matter; most people seem to think that Michigan is just Dystopia-troit surrounded by undeveloped forest.
CGeditor
Valued Contributor

Post by CGeditor »

TenPoundHammer wrote:I knew Irvine simply because I've heard the name a few times and knew it was in California.

Also, Grand Rapids, MI is almost 200,000 people, but I never seem to hear anyone not from Michigan ever talk about it. Or Lansing, for that matter; most people seem to think that Michigan is just Dystopia-troit surrounded by undeveloped forest.
Same here on Irvine.
I went to college in Grand Rapids - it is a lovely city 8-)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

CGeditor wrote:I went to college in Grand Rapids - it is a lovely city 8-)
My dad lived in Kentwood in the late 90s (he moved to Cedar Springs around 2001). I agree that overall, GR is lovely.

Getting back on topic, I'm surprised no one's ragged on me yet for saying I've never seen Futurama...
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
My dad lived in Kentwood in the late 90s (he moved to Cedar Springs around 2001). I agree that overall, GR is lovely.

Getting back on topic, I'm surprised no one's ragged on me yet for saying I've never seen Futurama...
You've never seen Futurama???!!!?!?

What's Futurama?

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote:

As a wise old Observer once said, to constantly repeat the same action and expect a variant reaction is surely a sign of madness.
Spoiler
Disclaimer: This may or may not be an beneficial argument when applied to me in the first place. :lol:
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

PatMorrison wrote: I lived in St Petersburg for 3 months, so not being able to get that Daily Double was brutal. It took me a good couple of questions to shake it off, which led to being slow on the Great Lakes question (as a native Michigander, inexcusable). Carpentry, RVs, dinosaurs, food, not as many categories to my liking this time around.
Would you have gotten it without the Hermitage hint? St. Petersburg is my favorite city. Spent two weeks there in 2000, on Fontanka Canal.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

One of the things that I think of when I hear "Newton's peers" is the line from Big Bang Theory: "Oh, so you're a Liebnitz man then?" This was completely absent from my brain during Final, only came back (with a vengeance) upon reveal. :headslap:. (At least I'm consoling myself with the fact that I might not have known what city Liebnitz was in (or that, even with a German name, it doesn't mean he had to be in a German city, even in the 18th century, people had means of mobility)

For the Sault St. Marie clue being in the bottom row, it really would have served it better if they didn't have the Great Lakes map there to spoon-feed it to us - while I like to consider myself quite strong in geography, I would have had to think a while what Great Lakes SSM is in between (and I've visited both Sault St. Maries before too! (Didn't cross the border there, though)) The map made it an instant gimme, as I'm sure most people (even TPH, being a Michigander) can name their Great Lakes on a map (especially the three largest ones, as Ontario and Erie often get confused)

For the last clue in DJ, I said "flying dinosaurs" instead of "bird", acceptable?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

dhkendall wrote:For the last clue in DJ, I said "flying dinosaurs" instead of "bird", acceptable?
I think the answer is no. The jury is out on whether archaeopteryx actually flew, and besides, why would the mere presence of a wishbone in other dinosaurs be the factor that casts doubt on whether it was the first one to fly?
PatMorrison
Contributor

Post by PatMorrison »

Vanya wrote:
PatMorrison wrote: I lived in St Petersburg for 3 months, so not being able to get that Daily Double was brutal. It took me a good couple of questions to shake it off, which led to being slow on the Great Lakes question (as a native Michigander, inexcusable). Carpentry, RVs, dinosaurs, food, not as many categories to my liking this time around.
Would you have gotten it without the Hermitage hint? St. Petersburg is my favorite city. Spent two weeks there in 2000, on Fontanka Canal.
Yes, I don't think I would have needed the Hermitage hint, though that would have made the question unnecessarily hard for folks who have never been there. It's quite a remarkable city, though much better when the sun decides to make an appearance. Some of those gray December days are brutal.

One of these days Andrei Bely's Petersburg will a Jeopardy clue. Then I will be satisfied.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

emtwo wrote:I was kind of rooting for Andrew on account of his playing viola (we oppressed must stick together!) but then his leaning just bothered me to no end. Jeopardy swagger...?

PS: Shoepeg corn? Where'd that come from?
Probably this has been addressed further on up the thread, but Andrew's leaning made me wonder if he had a bit of CP (I think that's the condition that can affect people's posture and gait).

NHO shoepeg corn either, but thought peg might be the answer, though I wasn't gonna ring in on a hunch. I also said Texas for Irvine. Did anyone else say J.M. Barrie for "Wendy and the Lost Boys"?
In and out of the pool four times
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

reddpen wrote:Did anyone else say J.M. Barrie for "Wendy and the Lost Boys"?
I was trying to, but I couldn't spit out the name.

I swear, I know all this crap. I just blank on it at inconvenient times.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

reddpen wrote:Did anyone else say J.M. Barrie for "Wendy and the Lost Boys"?
*raises hand*
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: Irvine: Is there a there there?

Post by Volante »

OrangeSAM wrote:
Wimple wrote:
DBear wrote:Was there anything in the Irvine clue that would lead to Ca?
I got it as I lived there for 5 years and also you pass that RV park on the 5. I never considered Irvine particularly famous tho and wouldn't have gotten it otherwise.
Also - shoe peg corn was described as "popular". Popular with who?
Got final by means of a total WAG.
I agree it's difficult to pick something distinguishing about Irvine other than UC Irvine ("Zot!"). A city of 200,000+ awash in the Southern California metropolis. In most states, it would be a big deal.

As for the RV park, I recognized it on an HGTV "House Hunters"-style RV show a month or two ago, although even there they simply said it was south of Los Angeles.
So, I drive past Traveland USA every weekday on my way to work, and was able to see a swath of travel trailers and RVs butted up against the freeway.

It was not there anymore. No more RVs, name stripped off signs. That clue was valid* (after air date) for less than a month.

*To be strictly accurate, the clue was never right; by the time it aired, only one dealer - as opposed to the dozen mentioned in the clue - was still there, the penultimate dealer having left in January: http://www.ocregister.com/articles/trav ... mahon.html
Last edited by Volante on Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Re: Irvine: Is there a there there?

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

OrangeSAM wrote:I agree it's difficult to pick something distinguishing about Irvine other than UC Irvine ("Zot!").
Don't tell this guy. He's looking for Zot!