Introduce Yourself Here

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, econgator, dhkendall, trainman

Re: Introduce Yourself Here

Postby dhkendall » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:09 pm

mitchparov wrote:
dipayanban wrote:Hey, I'm Dipayan. I'm a freshman at Stanton College Prep in Jacksonville, FL and a member of the JV Brain Brawl team. My first recollection of watching Jeopardy is following watching Ken Jennings' streak, and although I didn't know any of the questions, being only five, I decided that I was going to be on J! someday. Hopefully being a member of this board will help me with getting good enough to make it on Jeopardy! :mrgreen:


People who were five during Ken's run are now in high school.

::starts looking for retirement communities::


Just barely, I always know exactly how long ago Ken's run was, because I've related the story about how my son's birth coincided with the end of his run (he was born about 3 weeks before his last game, and despite my diligently watching to see when he'd lose, my son's medical issues at birth prevented me from seeing the last game (though I did catch the one immediately after)). My son is now a happy, healthy, seven year old.

7+5=12, so dipayan must have been an old five.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings
User avatar
dhkendall
Moderator, Archivist, and Servant to the J! Community
 
Posts: 4821
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:49 am
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba

Re: Introduce Yourself Here

Postby jaxjags » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:11 pm

hi my name I jax, I'm new here obviously. I've always sort of watched jeopardy but started watching it every night when joon started his run. I'm a sophomore in high school and on the jv academic team. We went to state playoffs but lost in the 2nd round to the eventual winners. I've always wanted to be on jeopardy and am really wondering when they will open up registration again...
User avatar
jaxjags
Valued Contributor
 
Posts: 52
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:02 pm

Re: Introduce Yourself Here

Postby Woof » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:05 pm

jaxjags wrote:hi my name I jax, I'm new here obviously. I've always sort of watched jeopardy but started watching it every night when joon started his run. I'm a sophomore in high school and on the jv academic team. We went to state playoffs but lost in the 2nd round to the eventual winners. I've always wanted to be on jeopardy and am really wondering when they will open up registration again...


Jax,
With very few exceptions, registration for online testing takes place at the end of the calendar year, with the tests occurring in February. The best thing you can do to prepare yourself is to play at home watching Jeopardy, play the games here like Think Different and Who's Special and also to play online quizzes at places like Sporcle.

Good luck!
User avatar
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
 
Posts: 1704
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: Introduce Yourself Here

Postby Magna » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:19 pm

Woof wrote:
jaxjags wrote:hi my name I jax, I'm new here obviously. I've always sort of watched jeopardy but started watching it every night when joon started his run. I'm a sophomore in high school and on the jv academic team. We went to state playoffs but lost in the 2nd round to the eventual winners. I've always wanted to be on jeopardy and am really wondering when they will open up registration again...


Jax,
With very few exceptions, registration for online testing takes place at the end of the calendar year, with the tests occurring in February. The best thing you can do to prepare yourself is to play at home watching Jeopardy, play the games here like Think Different and Who's Special and also to play online quizzes at places like Sporcle.

Good luck!

I think you'd be eligible for the Teen Tournament, though. The word on the official site is: "The test has been postponed, and registration is unavailable. Please check back soon."
User avatar
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy
 
Posts: 1927
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:37 pm

Re: Introduce Yourself Here

Postby jaxjags » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:48 pm

Magna wrote:
Woof wrote:
jaxjags wrote:hi my name I jax, I'm new here obviously. I've always sort of watched jeopardy but started watching it every night when joon started his run. I'm a sophomore in high school and on the jv academic team. We went to state playoffs but lost in the 2nd round to the eventual winners. I've always wanted to be on jeopardy and am really wondering when they will open up registration again...


Jax,
With very few exceptions, registration for online testing takes place at the end of the calendar year, with the tests occurring in February. The best thing you can do to prepare yourself is to play at home watching Jeopardy, play the games here like Think Different and Who's Special and also to play online quizzes at places like Sporcle.

Good luck!

I think you'd be eligible for the Teen Tournament, though. The word on the official site is: "The test has been postponed, and registration is unavailable. Please check back soon."


Yeah, I think on the facebook page they said they would reopen registration since the test was postponed.

From lurking a bit on this board, I definitely love it. A nice board where everyone loves jeopardy, and even former contestants and champions. Hopefully this board will help me out if I ever eventually get on jeopardy
User avatar
jaxjags
Valued Contributor
 
Posts: 52
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:02 pm

Re: Introduce Yourself Here

Postby TreehugginCowgirl » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:35 pm

Howdy!

I'm Erin. My last name is rather embarrassing, so y'all don't get to know it unless I get on the air ;) I moved to Santa Fe this week. I'm originally from Austin, TX, but I before New Mexico, I was in Montana for several years. I'm 26, and I have a degree in Forestry. After working for conservation nonprofits for a few years, I decided to move down here to focus on my writing. I currently own two horses, a mule and a dog. My mule and I rode the southern half of the Continental Divide National Scenic Trail a few years ago. With any luck, I'll get a goat soon. At other points in my life, I've had chickens (I might get more soon), meat rabbits, hamsters, hedgehogs, finches, cockatiels, quail, mice and frogs. My mother drew the line at reptiles :) Those animal categories most of the Jeopardy contestants leave for last . . . I eat those up.

My mule and I rode the southern half of the Continental Divide National Scenic Trail a few years ago. My mother, her mother and I used to have trivial pursuit death matches. They're both very excited that I have an audition this month. I don't think either of them ever got up the nerve to take the test. I was the captain of my Certamen team in high school, so I'm hoping I'll do alright with the buzzers. I'll be praying for Mythology, Science and Geography and hoping Classical Music and Sports don't show up!

Erin
TreehugginCowgirl
Best Self-Destruct Button
 
Posts: 203
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:55 am

Re: Introduce Yourself Here

Postby Rahsputin » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:25 pm

Hi,

I just received an audition invitation, so I've been poking around on the net to see what kind of crowd wisdom I could benefit from... and landed on this site.
Thought I'd actually join instead of being a lurker? (Do they even call it that anymore--I don't think I've used that term since I was dialing in to a BBS on my 14400 modem :mrgreen: )

I'm from Vancouver.. well I'm from all over, but I live just outside of Vancouver. Can't say that I see too many Canadians on the show, so hopefully that won't work against me. I have a funny nugget/tidbit though: I lived in Trebek's hometown of Sudbury when I was a lad. That's got to be worth a nickel.

I'm a writer, which I guess puts me in an overstuffed category (along with white, nearly middle-aged male). The sad thing is that my interests are so fricken lame that I don't know what they'll find to talk about... I mean gardening (food not flowers)? business news junkie? The time I won the district chess championship and when they delivered the trophy, I was sitting in front of the principal's office like some poor man's Good Will Hunting?
man, the humour is dry in cyberspace.

See you around folks
User avatar
Rahsputin
Newbie
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:10 pm
Location: near Vancouver, BC

Re: Introduce Yourself Here

Postby bpmod » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:46 pm

Rahsputin wrote:... That's got to be worth a nickel.

I'd say! A really big one!

Welcome!

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.
User avatar
bpmod
Rank
 
Posts: 3857
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:26 am
Location: Hamilton Ontario

Re: Introduce Yourself Here

Postby Johnblue » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:13 am

Hi, my first name is John and I've qualified for J! Quite a few times since 1995 but I haven't received a call yet and frankly, I'm not expecting it at this point. I've been watching the show since the Art Fleming days and somd things aren't meant to be.

I live in the NY area and I'm about to retire from a career as an air traffic controller for jfk Approach. I can't wait to move out of NY and relax with golf and tennis.
Johnblue
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
 
Posts: 715
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:55 am

Re: Introduce Yourself Here

Postby alietr » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:32 am

Johnblue wrote:I live in the NY area and I'm about to retire from a career as an air traffic controller for jfk Approach. I can't wait to move out of NY and relax with golf and tennis.


So that's who sent all those ^*%)@#! airplanes right over my head when I lived in the Five Towns!
User avatar
alietr
Site Admin
 
Posts: 2906
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:20 pm
Location: Bethesda, MD

Re: Introduce Yourself Here

Postby earendel » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:50 am

Rahsputin wrote:Hi,

I just received an audition invitation, so I've been poking around on the net to see what kind of crowd wisdom I could benefit from... and landed on this site.
Thought I'd actually join instead of being a lurker? (Do they even call it that anymore--I don't think I've used that term since I was dialing in to a BBS on my 14400 modem :mrgreen: )

I'm from Vancouver.. well I'm from all over, but I live just outside of Vancouver. Can't say that I see too many Canadians on the show, so hopefully that won't work against me. I have a funny nugget/tidbit though: I lived in Trebek's hometown of Sudbury when I was a lad. That's got to be worth a nickel.

I'm a writer, which I guess puts me in an overstuffed category (along with white, nearly middle-aged male). The sad thing is that my interests are so fricken lame that I don't know what they'll find to talk about... I mean gardening (food not flowers)? business news junkie? The time I won the district chess championship and when they delivered the trophy, I was sitting in front of the principal's office like some poor man's Good Will Hunting?
man, the humour is dry in cyberspace.

See you around folks

What city did you get the invitation for, when did you take the test and what do you think your score was?
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
User avatar
earendel
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
 
Posts: 350
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:22 pm
Location: mired in the bureaucracy

Re: Introduce Yourself Here

Postby Rahsputin » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:51 pm

@earendel
What city did you get the invitation for, when did you take the test and what do you think your score was?

Dallas (Mar 29)
Jan 19th test
42 (=/- 1)
User avatar
Rahsputin
Newbie
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:10 pm
Location: near Vancouver, BC

Re: Introduce Yourself Here

Postby Johnblue » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:20 pm

alietr wrote:
Johnblue wrote:I live in the NY area and I'm about to retire from a career as an air traffic controller for jfk Approach. I can't wait to move out of NY and relax with golf and tennis.


So that's who sent all those ^*%)@#! airplanes right over my head when I lived in the Five Towns!


Sorry but they have to go over someone's house! The folks in certain parts of Nassau are really up in arms these days.
Johnblue
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
 
Posts: 715
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:55 am

Re: Introduce Yourself Here

Postby TreehugginCowgirl » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:47 am

Rahsputin wrote:Hi,

I'm from Vancouver.. well I'm from all over, but I live just outside of Vancouver. Can't say that I see too many Canadians on the show, so hopefully that won't work against me. I have a funny nugget/tidbit though: I lived in Trebek's hometown of Sudbury when I was a lad. That's got to be worth a nickel.

I'm a writer, which I guess puts me in an overstuffed category (along with white, nearly middle-aged male). The sad thing is that my interests are so fricken lame that I don't know what they'll find to talk about... I mean gardening (food not flowers)? business news junkie? The time I won the district chess championship and when they delivered the trophy, I was sitting in front of the principal's office like some poor man's Good Will Hunting?
man, the humour is dry in cyberspace.

See you around folks



There's tons of material in gardening! Did you grow any interesting varieties. I grow bright purple potatoes and then confuse people with lavender mashed potatoes. Do you actually grow enough to eliminate buying produce? Did you ever have to battle a garden pest? Any successful or unsuccessful food preservation projects? Sauerkraut comes to mind.

I'll see you in Dallas. My audition is the same day.
TreehugginCowgirl
Best Self-Destruct Button
 
Posts: 203
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:55 am

Re: Introduce Yourself Here

Postby Vanya » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:07 am

TreehugginCowgirl wrote:Howdy!

I'm Erin. My last name is rather embarrassing, so y'all don't get to know it unless I get on the air ;) I moved to Santa Fe this week. I'm originally from Austin, TX, but I before New Mexico, I was in Montana for several years. I'm 26, and I have a degree in Forestry. After working for conservation nonprofits for a few years, I decided to move down here to focus on my writing. I currently own two horses, a mule and a dog. My mule and I rode the southern half of the Continental Divide National Scenic Trail a few years ago. With any luck, I'll get a goat soon. At other points in my life, I've had chickens (I might get more soon), meat rabbits, hamsters, hedgehogs, finches, cockatiels, quail, mice and frogs. My mother drew the line at reptiles :) Those animal categories most of the Jeopardy contestants leave for last . . . I eat those up.

My mule and I rode the southern half of the Continental Divide National Scenic Trail a few years ago. My mother, her mother and I used to have trivial pursuit death matches. They're both very excited that I have an audition this month. I don't think either of them ever got up the nerve to take the test. I was the captain of my Certamen team in high school, so I'm hoping I'll do alright with the buzzers. I'll be praying for Mythology, Science and Geography and hoping Classical Music and Sports don't show up!

Erin


My grandmother grew up in Santa Fe, in this house
User avatar
Vanya
The support is non-zero
 
Posts: 2341
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:10 am

Re: Introduce Yourself Here

Postby debramc » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:57 am

TreehugginCowgirl wrote:
Rahsputin wrote:Hi,

I'm from Vancouver.. well I'm from all over, but I live just outside of Vancouver. Can't say that I see too many Canadians on the show, so hopefully that won't work against me. I have a funny nugget/tidbit though: I lived in Trebek's hometown of Sudbury when I was a lad. That's got to be worth a nickel.

I'm a writer, which I guess puts me in an overstuffed category (along with white, nearly middle-aged male). The sad thing is that my interests are so fricken lame that I don't know what they'll find to talk about... I mean gardening (food not flowers)? business news junkie? The time I won the district chess championship and when they delivered the trophy, I was sitting in front of the principal's office like some poor man's Good Will Hunting?
man, the humour is dry in cyberspace.

See you around folks



There's tons of material in gardening! Did you grow any interesting varieties. I grow bright purple potatoes and then confuse people with lavender mashed potatoes. Do you actually grow enough to eliminate buying produce? Did you ever have to battle a garden pest? Any successful or unsuccessful food preservation projects? Sauerkraut comes to mind.

I'll see you in Dallas. My audition is the same day.

Welcome to both of you, and good luck at your auditions!
Hooray chickens! I love my chickens! I also have a big food garden, and I agree you could get a lot of good stories out of gardening. Ever forget to wear gloves while weeding and walk around with green hands? Do you grow any varieties of veggies with funny names? And the Sudbury connection must be mentioned. of course.
Erin, I am from Dallas but lived in Austin for 20 years. Rahsputin, your puppy is adorable!
User avatar
debramc
Iced Mare Grub
 
Posts: 690
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:24 am
Location: Princeton, TX

Re: Introduce Yourself Here

Postby Rahsputin » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:54 pm

There's tons of material in gardening! Did you grow any interesting varieties. I grow bright purple potatoes and then confuse people with lavender mashed potatoes. Do you actually grow enough to eliminate buying produce? Did you ever have to battle a garden pest? Any successful or unsuccessful food preservation projects? Sauerkraut comes to mind.

I'll see you in Dallas. My audition is the same day.

Welcome to both of you, and good luck at your auditions!
Hooray chickens! I love my chickens! I also have a big food garden, and I agree you could get a lot of good stories out of gardening. Ever forget to wear gloves while weeding and walk around with green hands? Do you grow any varieties of veggies with funny names? And the Sudbury connection must be mentioned. of course.
Erin, I am from Dallas but lived in Austin for 20 years. Rahsputin, your puppy is adorable!


Thanks for the welcome and suggestions. I'm kind of a lettuce fanatic--I grow more than a dozen varieties in my garden (and three kinds of spinach) all of which is about as exciting as C-Span. The only thing I can think of is the war I have with the local wildlife, most of whom are my pets. My cute dog and I have a war where she tries to find ways into the garden and pulls up onions, potatoes, and--her favourite--the patience-testing parsnips. I've lost the war of deterrence with my cat and the neighbourhood cats; I have a stash of used teabags that I throw at them (that makes me sound like I'm 100, but my wife is half English and I need to throw something that has a satisfying weight but won't do any damage). Maybe I need a goat like Erin. Or a couple of feisty roosters?

Good luck to y'all
User avatar
Rahsputin
Newbie
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:10 pm
Location: near Vancouver, BC

Re: Introduce Yourself Here

Postby debramc » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:01 pm

Rahsputin wrote:Thanks for the welcome and suggestions. I'm kind of a lettuce fanatic--I grow more than a dozen varieties in my garden (and three kinds of spinach) all of which is about as exciting as C-Span. The only thing I can think of is the war I have with the local wildlife, most of whom are my pets. My cute dog and I have a war where she tries to find ways into the garden and pulls up onions, potatoes, and--her favourite--the patience-testing parsnips. I've lost the war of deterrence with my cat and the neighbourhood cats; I have a stash of used teabags that I throw at them (that makes me sound like I'm 100, but my wife is half English and I need to throw something that has a satisfying weight but won't do any damage). Maybe I need a goat like Erin. Or a couple of feisty roosters?
Good luck to y'all

See, I think a dozen varieities of lettuce is interesting (probably because I've grown that many too) - it might be one of those interviews where Alex looks askance at you for being strange, but in a sweet humorous way. You could admit it's kind of boring but keeps your salads lively... And the dog digging up parsnips is a story right there... and the teabags!!
I'm laughing at the teabags! Fortunately my cats were all raised indoors so they really don't get into digging (and mostly wait until I let them back in to use the litterbox!) and luckily the wild kitties don't seem interested in the garden. They just mark all the tools and bags of stuff -ugh. My cats just roll in the catnip patch (note - always leave a cat's length of distance between the catnip and valuable plants.) My main problem is armadillos - they root everything up. Chickens will tear up your garden scratching - mine are fenced in a very large electric pen. Guineas are alleged to be good at keeping critters off without scratching up too many plants, and I must say since we've had them, I haven't seen any bunnies around, and fewer neighborhood cats (they can tell the difference between our cats and strange ones.)
User avatar
debramc
Iced Mare Grub
 
Posts: 690
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:24 am
Location: Princeton, TX

Re: Introduce Yourself Here

Postby Hannah S. » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:19 am

Just introducing myself after lurking for a while! Hannah from Los Angeles; my air date is this Friday (March 16).
User avatar
Hannah S.
Jeopardy! Champion
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:17 am

Re: Introduce Yourself Here

Postby alietr » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:19 am

Welcome, Hannah, and best of retroactive luck!
User avatar
alietr
Site Admin
 
Posts: 2906
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:20 pm
Location: Bethesda, MD

PreviousNext

Return to Game Discussions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Bamaman, Bing [Bot], countyguy, Google [Bot], JeopRDFan, Tpmorrison and 11 guests