Tuesday, October 4, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

dinghammer
No Relation

Re: Tuesday, October 4, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by dinghammer »

"Brass" made me think of Jules Verne for some reason, and I was thinking of the kerosene as a fuel that was being spat into something, not sprayed onto something. My terrible guess was Around the World in Eighty Days. Sometimes I wish Alex wouldn't give those little extra comments after time runs out. "Well if you'd mentioned that in the clue, I would have known it!" I'm always thinking.
TenPoundHammer wrote:C = 100 eludes me yet again. Suggestions on keeping Roman Numerals straight since I always blank on them? Even worse, I got the next four.
C as in Century = 100
M as in Millennium = 1000
There's probably a Latin reason for V, but maybe you could think of the V in fiVe? And an X is just two Vs with their butts touching, so that's 10.
L and D? I don't know what to tell you.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MarkBarrett wrote: *********
Seth's #1 football team is the Falcons and the Bears are his #3. He is introduced from Illinois. That seems to leave it open for a number of teams for his #2. I can't imagine it's another NFC North team.
He is a Vandy grad so my guess would be the Titans.
koozbane
Valued Contributor

Post by koozbane »

Anyone else think that Alex was a bit of a tool to Joe during the interview? I know Alex was just trying to make light of a difficult situation, but Joe was obviously struggling. I don't think Alex's approach helped any.
IronNeck
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by IronNeck »

koozbane wrote:Anyone else think that Alex was a bit of a tool to Joe during the interview? I know Alex was just trying to make light of a difficult situation, but Joe was obviously struggling. I don't think Alex's approach helped any.
Not at all. Quite the opposite, in fact. Alex was trying to be empathetic and display genuine interest in his story. If it came across differently, it's likely because rescuing a segment with a shell-shocked contestant is really difficult, even for a decades-long, charming pro like Trebek.
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:
CailinGaoilge wrote:
Bamaman wrote:What country has a tri-color flag?
Ireland, Italy, Romania in addition to France, just off the top of my head. And those are only the ones I can think of with vertical stripes. Then there are the horizontal stripes, such as Bulgaria, Russia or Germany, and other tricolour arrangements such as Norway or the UK.
Right, but the category was about red/white/blue flags, and a design known as a "tricolor" that many other countries have adopted screams "France."
My mistake - I had forgotten the red/white/blue criteria.
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

My guess for Seth's #2 NFL team is the Tennessee Titans, only basing it on the fact he lived in Nashville/at Vanderbilt.

EDIT: Didn't see post above, already discussed. Sorry about that.
Last edited by badgerfellow on Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

dinghammer wrote:"Brass" made me think of Jules Verne for some reason, and I was thinking of the kerosene as a fuel that was being spat into something, not sprayed onto something. My terrible guess was Around the World in Eighty Days. Sometimes I wish Alex wouldn't give those little extra comments after time runs out. "Well if you'd mentioned that in the clue, I would have known it!" I'm always thinking.
TenPoundHammer wrote:C = 100 eludes me yet again. Suggestions on keeping Roman Numerals straight since I always blank on them? Even worse, I got the next four.
C as in Century = 100
There's probably a Latin reason for V, but maybe you could think of the V in fiVe? And an X is just two Vs with their butts touching, so that's 10.
Heh, amusingly L and D are the ones I always get mixed up, and I don't use those mnemonics for the others! (I just know them)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

Am I the youngest person here who got Miss Peach?

I'm 42, and Miss Peach is a little before my time, but I'm a huge comic strips buff so that category is kind of a wheelhouse for me.

I don't always have a feeling for how well-known older comic strips are to younger people.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

skullturf wrote:Am I the youngest person here who got Miss Peach?

I'm 42, and Miss Peach is a little before my time, but I'm a huge comic strips buff so that category is kind of a wheelhouse for me.

I don't always have a feeling for how well-known older comic strips are to younger people.
Perhaps. I'm 44 and NHOI. (I am familiar with Momma though through the wonderful snarky site Comics Curmudgeon (run by former J! contestant Josh Fruhlinger)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Silverfox
Don't Step on My Tail!

Post by Silverfox »

COLA stands for "Cost of living allowance". I worked for the federal government for 30 years and everyone knew it as such. We never heard the word adjustment used to refer to that acronym.
Be alert. Stupid never takes a day off!
davey

Post by davey »

I just did a search in the Code of Federal Regulations.
"Cost of living adjustment" gets 1287 hits.
"Cost of living allowance" gets 873 hits.

It's pretty clear that both responses are fine.

Also, in the past year only (previous numbers are for all editions since 1938)-
"Cost of living adjustment" w/5 cola = 34 hits
"Cost of living allowance" w/5 cola = 14 hits
Last edited by davey on Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

TenPoundHammer wrote:NHO "curtain call".
I'm certain that you have.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I'm 49 and didn't get it. My paper never carried Momma or Miss Peach, although I did run across them occasionally when traveling and reading other papers. I'm a little more familiar with Momma and just couldn't pull out the teacher's name.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

dhkendall wrote:

Perhaps. I'm 44 and NHOI. (I am familiar with Momma though through the wonderful snarky site Comics Curmudgeon (run by former J! contestant Josh Fruhlinger)
I'm a huge fan of Comics Curmudgeon, but had no idea that Josh was a Jeopardy contestant! Makes sense, in retrospect. And yeah, his quips about Momma in particular are excellent.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

dhkendall wrote:
dinghammer wrote:"Brass" made me think of Jules Verne for some reason, and I was thinking of the kerosene as a fuel that was being spat into something, not sprayed onto something. My terrible guess was Around the World in Eighty Days. Sometimes I wish Alex wouldn't give those little extra comments after time runs out. "Well if you'd mentioned that in the clue, I would have known it!" I'm always thinking.
C as in Century = 100
Heh, amusingly L and D are the ones I always get mixed up, and I don't use those mnemonics for the others! (I just know them)
I find the mnemonics only gum me up because I always overthink them. "Okay, C is... Century, centigrade? No wait, maybe it's cinco, five. M is uh... million? No, that would be too easy."
IronNeck wrote:I'm a huge fan of Comics Curmudgeon, but had no idea that Josh was a Jeopardy contestant! Makes sense, in retrospect. And yeah, his quips about Momma in particular are excellent.
I knew about Momma because my grandma used to have clippings of it on her fridge even before Josh started snarking about it. Didn't know about Miss Peach though.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

41 right.

Red (4), Theater (4), "Ef" (2), 100 (4), TV (5), Wine (2)
History (4), There (3), Oscar (4), State (3), Lazarus (3), Rising (3)

Lach Trash: Erica Kane, Robert Mondavi, plumage, refraction, mania; DD: Sri Lanka

Instaget FJ.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I'm a 33-year-old comics buff of sorts who got it.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

MarkBarrett wrote:BDM: Seth did not clearly lose to Miranda in #7 for the simple reason that he's still playing. Miranda should have wagered more and defeated him? Yes, that is true. It's no different than Seth trailed in game 1 and only won because Dorcas did not get a very solvable FJ! clue.
Missing FJ!--and making strategic decisions based upon the likelihood of such--is a normal part of the game. Getting FJ! wrong in a non-lock game, having second place get it right, but winning because second made an absolutely nonsensical, indefensible wager that rendered FJ! entirely moot, is not. I'd be shocked if it had happened five times in the last ten years. Seth obviously continues to rack up wins and dollars, but in my mind his continuing reign lost all legitimacy at that point.
TenPoundHammer wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
dinghammer wrote:
C as in Century = 100
I find the mnemonics only gum me up because I always overthink them. "Okay, C is... Century, centigrade? No wait, maybe it's cinco, five. M is uh... million? No, that would be too easy."
The helps offered for C and M aren't really mnemonics, though. They're actual subject knowledge that can help you learn those numerals independent of any trick. The Roman numeral C represents the same root as century (100 years), cent (1/100 of a dollar), centimeter (1/100 of a meter), percent (1/100 of anything) and, yes, even centigrade (100 degrees between the freezing and boiling points of water). Likewise with M and millennium, milligram, etc.
Sprinkles are for winners.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:BDM: Seth did not clearly lose to Miranda in #7 for the simple reason that he's still playing. Miranda should have wagered more and defeated him? Yes, that is true. It's no different than Seth trailed in game 1 and only won because Dorcas did not get a very solvable FJ! clue.
Missing FJ!--and making strategic decisions based upon the likelihood of such--is a normal part of the game. Getting FJ! wrong in a non-lock game, having second place get it right, but winning because second made an absolutely nonsensical, indefensible wager that rendered FJ! entirely moot, is not. I'd be shocked if it had happened five times in the last ten years. Seth obviously continues to rack up wins and dollars, but in my mind his continuing reign lost all legitimacy at that point.
I disagree. Call it one of the luckiest flukes in the history of the show (and I would be fascinated to see how many times something similar has ever occurred), but wagering is a skill, and Seth won that game because Miranda is one of the worst wagerers in Jeopardy history.

His reign is perfectly "legitimate". Now, we can speculate on how he stacks up against other 5+ day champions, (personally, I think recent 4-day champion Tim Kutz could well beat Seth head-to-head) but there are no asterisks by his 12 victories, and counting.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

The Word Picture wrote:Agree with adjustment. The kerosene sent me down the Slaughterhouse five trapdoor. Otherwise j and dj not as user weird (opposite of user friendly) as yesterday.
I too negged with Slaughterhouse Five (forgetting that it was fire-bombing in that novel). I don't think there are enough of us for a poll question ,though. :)
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide