Friday, October 28, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Elijah Baley
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, October 28, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Elijah Baley »

Volante wrote:Train of thought upon seeing final:

- Romeo & Juliet...one of them used a dagger
- It was Juliet. Romeo used poison
-- (And I've done the damn Opera event in WoW Karazhan often enough... http://www.wowhead.com/sound=9310/a-juliannedeath02 )
- Juliet Capulet. JC
- Julius Caesar
- *naps for 25 seconds*
- Oh, Alex expected us to get the guy first, huh? Reeeeeally
Well, I think getting the guy first would be the way most folks would come to the correct response. Stabbing generally involves a stabber and stabbee, and good old Julius was a pretty famous stabbee. And he happens to be a complete title as well.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

nlw44 wrote:
Category 13 wrote:
doihavetoreally wrote:Although I never write my responses, I thought that writing both names will take a long time. I scribbled those names as quickly as possible and it took between 9-10 seconds. Would they just accept JC?
No way.
I've been thinking lately that they should use keyboards for the FJ answers, rather than handwriting. It's particularly relevant when the answers are long, as with this one, but it'd also be much clearer for AT to read. And in my case, my fine motor control goes to hell in any stressful situation, which makes me worry that if I ever do get on the show, I won't be able to even write my name legibly, much less an FJ response.
There was a boy on Kids Week a few years ago that used a keyboard for FJ. They said he had some sort of problem using a pen.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Bamaman wrote:I got this but I agree with Alex it was tough. I read R&J in high school so I knew how she died. But if you haven't (or it has been a long time), you may not know she stabbed herself or know her last name.

I guess Meghan's wager was appropriate since FJ was about someone who committed suicide.
Now that's funny; I don't care who you are.

:)

Funny, but sad...yet another contestant shoots herself in the foot and ruins the only J! opportunity she will ever have because of knowing NOTHING about wagering. Deep sigh......
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

Elijah Baley wrote:

-- (And I've done the damn Opera event in WoW Karazhan often enough... http://www.wowhead.com/sound=9310/a-juliannedeath02 )
- Juliet Capulet. JC
- Julius Caesar
- *naps for 25 seconds*
Well, I think getting the guy first would be the way most folks would come to the correct response. Stabbing generally involves a stabber and stabbee, and good old Julius was a pretty famous stabbee. And he happens to be a complete title as well.
I think one factor for me was that we know both the first and last names of very few characters, particularly title characters. Julius Caesar jumps out as one immediately.
davey

Post by davey »

Golf wrote:Had to root for the new champ after she got Jordan Speith in the golf category. Not sure why somebody would think Ernie Els is American, if someone is going to answer that it would reason they knew at least something about the person.
His name is Spieth. Can anyone think of a word in which the vowel combination ie is pronounced ay, as in Julia's response? It was odd that Alex's doubt about accepting seemed to be relieved when she came up with a first name. Not that I think she should have been ruled against - it confirms my sense that you can pronounce vowels on J! just about any way you want. Just keep the consonants in place.
I hate FJs that are based on a meaningless coincidence. I found the "same pair of initials" requirement confusing because I wanted the full name to be in the title. To be honest I'm not sure I ever really understood that Caesar was a family name that later became a title so I'm not sure I would have recognized J.C. as his initials. The best I ended up with was Othello-Ophelia though I know very well how Ophelia died.
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

davey wrote:
Golf wrote:Had to root for the new champ after she got Jordan Speith in the golf category. Not sure why somebody would think Ernie Els is American, if someone is going to answer that it would reason they knew at least something about the person.
His name is Spieth. Can anyone think of a word in which the vowel combination ie is pronounced ay, as in Julia's response?
lingerie
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

cheezguyty wrote:
davey wrote:
His name is Spieth. Can anyone think of a word in which the vowel combination ie is pronounced ay, as in Julia's response?
lingerie
Presumably she thought his name was Speith, with the e/i reversed, giving an "ay" sound as in "eight". I was impressed that she got that close after saying Pebble Beach for the Masters!
davey

Post by davey »

cheezguyty wrote:
davey wrote:
lingerie
Thanks, good one! Though I have to say that pronunciation has always bugged me since it doesn't follow the common rules of either American English or French...
Ultraman
Valued Contributor

Post by Ultraman »

jeff6286 wrote:
cheezguyty wrote:
davey wrote:
lingerie
Presumably she thought his name was Speith, with the e/i reversed, giving an "ay" sound as in "eight". I was impressed that she got that close after saying Pebble Beach for the Masters!
There's this commercial: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pl-G8oyGSoI
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

- Juliet Capulet. JC
- Julius Caesar
- *naps for 25 seconds*
OMGOSH! Karazhan is active again? Totally no time for WOW I got to get back in there! Such fun! And from the Oz event you get the Ruby Slipper drop, sweet! :D
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

goatman wrote:

- Juliet Capulet. JC
- Julius Caesar
- *naps for 25 seconds*
OMGOSH! Karazhan is active again? Totally no time for WOW I got to get back in there! Such fun! And from the Oz event you get the Ruby Slipper drop, sweet! :D
It's always been active. In fact, there're two versions now. (I ran it for the mount, gold, xmogs and shits'n'giggles)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Volante wrote:
goatman wrote:

- Juliet Capulet. JC
- Julius Caesar
- *naps for 25 seconds*
It's always been active. In fact, there're two versions now. (I ran it for the mount, gold, xmogs and shits'n'giggles)

Yeah I mean the new reboot for 110s. Bah you need to be il 840+ Mythic geared to get a group and it's a brain-numbing 9 hour grind to down 8 bosses and the secret bonus boss (Hidden Dragon, but no Crouching Tiger). Bah fageddaboudit I'll go solo to the old instance and clear it out for funz and trash as you so noted. Been ages! :roll:
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
soxfan99

Post by soxfan99 »

I don't see why FJ was that hard. There's only a few Shakespeare plays that even have names in the title. When you need a name where you know the first and last names, it's even fewer. "Name a Shakespeare play where the title character is killed, and you know the first and last name" really only leaves Julius Caesar and Romeo and Juliet. Maybe my fairly limited knowledge of Shakespeare helped me, because I just went for his best known play, and didn't have to go further.

I also wondered whether "Julius Caesar and Juliet" would be okay. I would think it would be.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $34,600
47 R/2 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Nevada, Manitoba, handicap, Ryder Cup, lightning bolt, troll (DD), Sir Walter Raleigh

I totally talked myself out of "gale" and into "gust." Stupidhead. I also will likely get my Dallas card revoked for not coming up with Spieth, but in my defense, 2015 was a long time ago. Jordan hasn't played nearly as well this year.

Shakespeare + title character with two initials + died in a particular way got me to Julius Caesar pretty quickly. From there it was easy to come up with the other "J.C."
Sprinkles are for winners.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

So how is I got Julius Caesar but did NOT get Juliet? She just wasn't on my radar at all, even though I know she's a J.C. who stabbed herself.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Bamaman wrote:I got this but I agree with Alex it was tough. I read R&J in high school so I knew how she died. But if you haven't (or it has been a long time), you may not know she stabbed herself or know her last name.
Well, she's Capulet at the start of the play, but Montague when she stabs herself at the end, having been married by Friar Laurence in Act 2 Scene 6.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

morbeedo wrote:
Well, she's Capulet at the start of the play, but Montague when she stabs herself at the end, having been married by Friar Laurence in Act 2 Scene 6.
She was married but did she change her name?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

dhkendall wrote:
morbeedo wrote:
She was married but did she change her name?
In Catholic 16th-century Italy, I don't think she would've had any choice.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

they showed this episode on the Saturday J! here. I went way off, trying Titus Andronicus & Timon of Athens... :o :shock: :?