Friday, November 18, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, November 18, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7405, 2016-11-18

2016 Teen Tournament semifinal game 3.
From DAR Constitution Hall in Washington, D.C.

CONTESTANTS
Apurva Kanneganti, a senior from Germantown, Tennessee
Antonio Karides, a junior from Severna Park, Maryland
Michael Borecki, a junior from Darien, Connecticut

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Hey, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. What a week this is turning out to be. Two semifinal games, sensational matches that were in doubt until the very end of Final Jeopardy! What will today produce with Apurva, Antonio, and Michael? Good luck. We'll start finding out immediately as we discover the categories for the Jeopardy! Round...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
IN BETWEEN (5/5)
SOUTHERN HISTORY (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
BUSINESS (4/5)
CONTEMPORARY AUTHORS (4/5)
CHARACTERS IN TV SHOWS (5/5)
"PEANUT", "BUTTER", "JELLY", "TIME" (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Michael: 16 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Apurva: 7 R, 1 W
Antonio: 4 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,600

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Michael found the Daily Double on the 1st clue. Michael had no money, Antonio was scoreless, and Apurva had nothing in the bank. Michael wagered $1,000.

SOUTHERN HISTORY $800: A bluish color, or the dye that was also a major product of 18th century South Carolina

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Michael: $4,000
Apurva: $3,400
Antonio: $800

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Apurva Kanneganti is from Germantown, Tennessee. She is a senior.

Apurva: Mm-hmm.

Alex: And if Agatha Christie comes up as a category in this semifinal, these two guys had better worry. Right?

Apurva: I got it on lock, yeah.

Alex: Yeah?

Apurva: I really started getting interested in mystery novels from maybe around fourth or fifth grade. And I read almost every single Agatha Christie novel out there. At least every one they had--everything they had at my library in the middle school.

Alex: Okay. Good for you.

Apurva: Thank you.

Alex: Antonio Karides from Severna Park, Maryland. He's an Eagle Scout. We talked about that in his first appearance with us.

[Applause]

Alex: And as an Eagle Scout, you get to do a lot of pro bono work. And in the summertime particularly, you're a referee and an umpire. Where?

Antonio: Well, in the winter, I referee basketball, and that's a really rewarding experience, especially teaching all the little kids how to play. I really enjoy that. And in the summer, I lifeguard, so...

Alex: So you're a good swimmer, too.

Antonio: Good enough to lifeguard, yeah.

[Laughter]

Alex: Good way to meet girls, isn't it?

Antonio: I suppose.

Alex: Oh.

[Laughter]

Alex: You'll, uh, you'll discover that in the next year or two.

[Laughter]

Alex: Michael Borecki is from Connecticut. Now whenever we meet athletes who are stars in their sports, we like to sometimes want to test ourselves against them. And you had an experience, in that regard, that kind of shocked you. Tell us about it.

Michael: Yeah, um, so a teammate of mine was a national champion in the 5k, whose name is Alex Ostberg. And I had the opportunity my freshman year to run a 2-mile race that he was also competing in. It didn't go so well. I got doubly lapped.

Alex: You got lapped twice in a 2-mile race?

Michael: Yes. Eight laps.

Alex: Okay.

[Laughter]

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
CONTEMPORARY AUTHORS $800: She was inspired to write "The Princess Diaries" when her mom began dating her teacher, just like Mia's mom in the book

BUSINESS $1000: This casual clothing company debuted its "initial" catalog in 1983
(Michael: What is L.L. Bean?)

"PEANUT", "BUTTER", "JELLY", "TIME" $800: This candy made of caramelized sugar & a legume is easily broken-- but that's the point!
(Apurva: What is brittle?)
(Alex: Remember, those four words up there, one of them has to appear in each correct response.)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Michael: $7,400
Apurva: $5,000
Antonio: $1,400
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, November 18, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
COMPOSERS & THEIR MUSIC (4/5)
I GET AROUND (4/5)
"C" THE WORLD (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
LET'S GO TO SUNDAY SCHOOL (4/5)
PHYSICS (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
THE RHYMES OF LIFE AND LOVE (4/4)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Michael: 14 R (including 1 rebound and 2 DDs), 1 W
Apurva: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W
Antonio: 4 R, 6 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 5
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $8,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Michael snagged the next Daily Double on the 6th clue. Michael had $9,400, Antonio had $1,400, and Apurva was at $6,200. Michael wagered $2,000.

PHYSICS $1600: Ground effects on race cars are to keep the tires on the track, fighting this 4-letter force that tries to raise them

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Michael who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 10th clue. Michael had $14,200, Antonio was in the red with -$200, and Apurva was at $7,800. Michael wagered $4,000.

"C" THE WORLD $1200: It's a small New Hampshire town as well as an ancient name for Palestine

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
PHYSICS $400: A roentgen is a unit of measure of the amount of exposure to these, discovered by Roentgen
(Apurva: What is radiation?)
(Alex: Be more specific.)
(Apurva: Uh, beta particles.)
(Antonio: What is alpha particle radiation?)

COMPOSERS & THEIR MUSIC $2000: The Chopin piece nicknamed the "Heroic" is one of these dances whose name refers to Chopin's homeland
(Antonio: What is a polka?)
(Michael: What is a mazurka?)
(Apurva: What is a polska?)

PHYSICS $2000: A subatomic particle consisting of a quark & an antiquark, the J particle is also called by this Greek-letter name
(Antonio: What is an iota?)

LET'S GO TO SUNDAY SCHOOL $1600: This gospel writer & "beloved physician" made many missionary trips
(Antonio: Who is Schweitzer?)

I GET AROUND $2000: In "Jupiter Ascending", this actor gets around on his cool boots that can levitate
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Michael: $25,400 (lock game)
Apurva: $8,600
Antonio: -$4,200

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
SCIENCE & MATH VOCABULARY

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place.
Michael: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $8,199 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Apurva: You've no hope of catching up... unless Michael does something stupid. So risk as much as $8,599; you needn't worry about falling into third place.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
These 2 words are just 1 letter different; one is a whirlpool & the other a geometry term for a meeting point

FINAL SCORES
Apurva: $8,600 + $8,600 = $17,200 (What are vertex + vortex?) (2nd place)
Michael: $25,400 - $0 = $25,400 (What is gg guys?) (Finalist)
(Alex: [To Michael] Who are gg guys?)
(Michael: Good game, guys.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $10,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Michael: $22,000, 30 R (including 3 DDs), 2 W
Apurva: $8,600, 13 R, 3 W
Antonio: -$4,200, 8 R, 6 W
Combined Coryat: $26,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Michael: 30/61 = .492
Apurva: 14/58 = .241
Antonio: 8/58 = .138
Team: 52/63 = .825

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
BUSINESS $800: In 1999, this shark & a pal sold their broadcast.com to Yahoo for $5.7 billion

"C" THE WORLD $1600: About 1/4 of this Central American country's land has been set aside as protected area for the nation's diverse wildlife
(Antonio: What is...)

LET'S GO TO SUNDAY SCHOOL $1200: While Moses was on Mount Sinai, Aaron helped the Israelites construct this idol using their jewelry
(Antonio: Who is Baal?)

"C" THE WORLD $400: Arawak Indians inhabited this island when Europeans landed there in 1492

I GET AROUND $800: In the 2010 movie called this "Legacy", light cycles were used as transport inside a virtual world
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

I GET AROUND $1600: (Kelly of the Clue Crew stands with a car.) This instantly recognizable car is a real version of the Mach Five driven by this animated hero, known in Japan as Go Mifune

CORRECT RESPONSES
indigo
Meg Cabot
J. Crew
peanut brittle
lift
Canaan
X-rays
polonaise
psi
Luke
Channing Tatum
vertex and vortex
(Mark) Cuban
Costa Rica
the golden calf
Cuba
Tron
Speed Racer
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
SCIENCE & MATH VOCABULARY

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
These 2 words are just 1 letter different; one is a whirlpool & the other a geometry term for a meeting point

Michael Borecki: 25400-0=25400 (Finalist)
Antonio Karides: minus 4200
Apurva Kanneganti: 8600+8600=17200

Correct response:
Spoiler
vertex & vortex (Michael – gg guys)

Daily Doubles
Michael: 0+1000
Michael: 9400+2000
Michael: 14200+4000

Coryats
Michael: 22000
Antonio: minus 4200
Apurva: 8600

Combined: 26,400
Last edited by theFJguy on Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Is there some reason I should have known to go with FedEx on that Business clue?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I woke up incredibly sick, and still don't feel too much better. First time I've ever had to call in sick.

Antonio kind of self-destructed, didn't he?

I thought Business for $600 was a coinflip on UPS/FedEx, and "office superstore" above it a 1/3 on Staples/Office Depot/OfficeMax.

Why didn't just "brittle" get a BMS?

Ran Peanut Butter Jelly Time, but got only $200 in South and Business.

0/5 in Contemporary Authors. NHO Percy Jackson that I recall.

I think the BMS on radiation only led the contestants farther away from X-rays instead of helping.

Don't recognize "golden calf" either.

Category is Bible and you say "Schweitzer"?!? SMH.

I got hung up on "eddy" + ???. I wouldn't have ever made the connection of whirlpool = vortex.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

econgator wrote:Is there some reason I should have known to go with FedEx on that Business clue?
Seemed like a good guess to me.

I wish I had a good guess on FJ.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Bamaman wrote:
econgator wrote:Is there some reason I should have known to go with FedEx on that Business clue?
Seemed like a good guess to me.
Why not UPS, though, which is -- by far -- the larger company?
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Wasted 10 seconds trying to think of whirlpool synonyms (eddy +...? maelstrom +...!? swirl...screw it), then switched tracks and got to vertex (+ vortex) almost immediately. Sheesh.
I'd need to see the wording again. I clammed; at the time it seemed like a UPS/FedEx coin flip and like any good 50/50/90 I would've gotten it wrong :lol:
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Bamaman wrote:I wish I had a good guess on FJ.
Me too. I think back when I was that age, I would've gotten it. I'd forgotten the word vertex. Vortex, though, I should've been able to get; and I definitely would have gotten to vertex from there. I spent the whole 30 seconds feeling as though the synonym for whirlpool was just on the tip of my tongue.
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

I totally went with jellybeans instead of peanut brittle on the candy legume clue. I was surprised it was wrong, but that's what I get for forgetting peanut brittle was a thing. How often do these word categories have such a seemingly perfect, yet completely wrong answer, anyway?

There was no way I was getting FJ! from the vortex side, but I'm ashamed of not being able to come up with vertex, which probably would've led me to vortex. I must've come up with every other math term relating to geometry and angles, but vertex just slipped my mind.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

xxaaaxx wrote:Wasted 10 seconds trying to think of whirlpool synonyms (eddy +...? maelstrom +...!? swirl...screw it), then switched tracks and got to vertex (+ vortex) almost immediately. Sheesh.
I'd need to see the wording again. I clammed; at the time it seemed like a coin flip with FedEx and like any good 50/50/90 I would've gotten it wrong :lol:

This delivery company says it "covers more than 220 countries and territories" and links "more than 99% of the world's GDP"

Hell, the UPS Fact Sheet (https://pressroom.ups.com/pressroom/Con ... 563187-193) even says:

"Service area More than 220 countries and territories; Every address in North America and Europe"

Seems like a very-poorly pinned clue.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Vowela wrote:I totally went with jellybeans instead of peanut brittle on the candy legume clue. I was surprised it was wrong, but that's what I get for forgetting peanut brittle was a thing. How often do these word categories have such a seemingly perfect, yet completely wrong answer, anyway?
I wouldn't say that jelly beans fit the "Caramelized sugar" or "easily broken -- but that's the point" part of the clue.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Sounds like they would have to take UPS. But the girl who got the clue is from Memphis so that is probably why she went with them.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

whoops - I said Intersection and Intersuction, because of course a whirpool sucks things up. If only Intersuction was a word....
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Congratulations to Michael/geolawyerman for an excellent performance and brutal lock. Nice wagering on all three DDs, too.

I had a horrible game playing from home, recording only a single TS, my lowest of the season, with X-Ray. Got FJ, but kind of hate the clue.

Anyways, should be a fantastic final, with three very strong players. Looking forward to it.
OSXpert wrote:whoops - I said Intersection and Intersuction, because of course a whirpool sucks things up. If only Intersuction was a word....
Don't feel bad. I'm a mathematician by education and immediately went with intersection, pondering over "intersuction" before switching to vertex and vortex midway through.

Edit- Also like Michael's continued DD hunting.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I was stuck trying to think of a mate for intersection or angle.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Tonight was the opposite of last night as I was certain there would be no reversal on the misses on the x-ray clue.

The FJ! category had me sniffing trouble as I never expect to go 10/10 on the clues, so at the first 7 right I was past due for a miss.

Working the whirlpool angle I had eddy & waterspout as they only things occurring to me. To complete a response I created a math term of addy. I work enough crossword and other type puzzles to have filled in VORTEX plenty of times. From there I would have had no problem with VERTEX for the other word.

With Learned League thinking time I would not have submitted until I solved it. 30 seconds tonight was not enough to get it.

Michael: You are 2-0 playing from the champ's podium. With the high score of the semis that gets you back at position 1 for the finals, right? Well done in your two games that aired this week.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Impressive game! It's hard to see how he doesn't win later. I'm certainly rooting for him!
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

MarkBarrett wrote:
Michael: You are 2-0 playing from the champ's podium. With the high score of the semis that gets you back at position 1 for the finals, right? Well done in your two games that aired this week.
I'm actually curious; how do they determine this? And for that matter, how do they determine which quarterfinalist winner and wildcard plays in which semifinal?
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

IronNeck wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:
I'm actually curious; how do they determine this? And for that matter, how do they determine which quarterfinalist winner and wildcard plays in which semifinal?
Gotta think it's a random draw, but I'm not positive.

For tonight's FJ I thought of vortex before finishing reading the clue, so vertex was pretty simple from there. These vocab clues are always dicey. Seems like if you go down the wrong path from the beginning you're doomed.