Tuesday, November 22, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Re: Tuesday, November 22, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $39,000
49 R/2 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Gustave Eiffel (DD), Doc Marten, clipping, peacekeeping (DD)

Congrats to all three finalists. You guys kicked butt. Invest your money.
TenPoundHammer wrote:Is Plurals for $400 the first time outside Stupid Answers that the answer has been entirely in the clue?
No. At the very least, there are all of those multiple choice categories.
Sprinkles are for winners.
sharathun
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by sharathun »

Thank you so much for your support everyone. This was such an amazing opportunity, and I'm so glad to have gotten to share the stage with Alec and Michael in the finals.
Sharath Narayan
2016 Teen Tournament
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

I've long thought that the contestants on kids and teen weeks ought to be able to apply for regular Jeopardy after they get older.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

floridagator wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
* Number of mountains over 29,000? How does anyone know that?
It is a famous fact. Mt. Everest is exactly 29,000 feet high, but surveyors falsely reported its height as 29,002 feet in order to keep the true height from sounding like an estimate.
Although 29,000 might be easier for TPH to remember, It is actually 29,035 feet and still growing. Sometime in the mid-twentieth century, it was surveyed at 29,028. Then a re-survey 15-20 years ago put it at it's current height.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Congrats to everyone involved. Looked like you had a lot of fun, and you played the game well, all of you.

Alex definitely was talking like he knew this would be his last time at DAR Constitution Hall in Washington (seemed to almost choke up a few times), they seem to go there every four years (in election/leap years), so I think he is planning on retiring before then.

My "whale" question has been answered but how about just plain old "bull terrier" for "Boston bull terrier"?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
chmmr
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by chmmr »

What about just Boston Terrier lol

Alex looked so ashamed of those kids for missing that one.

Edit: I looked it up on the source of all light and truth [wikipedia] and it turns out Boston Terriers and Bull Terriers are Completely Different Dogs. Who knew?

Edit 2: They are not completely different, since they have a common lineage, but are different enough to warrant at least a bms.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

bpmod wrote:That seemed really odd that Alec didn't know how much Sharath needed to wager in order to win. It was plain by looking at the numbers that Alec needed a correct response (and an all-in or very close to all-in bet) and a miss by Sharath in order to win. Once Sharath's response was shown to be correct, Alec should have known immediately that he had come up a dollar short.

Also, Alex always seems to think that it is a complete coincidence that the game was won by a dollar.

Brian
He may have just seen he was way behind and bet it all and didn't know his exact maximum score. While seeing Sharath's score ending in 01 should have been a hint, he may have just got caught up in the moment and didn't realize he lost until Alex announced it. We saw in his SF game he is pretty emotional in those moments.

But he still got $50,000 and a trip to Washington with his family. Not a bad deal for being the "best loser".
nlw44
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nlw44 »

chmmr wrote:What about just Boston Terrier lol

Edit: I looked it up on the source of all light and truth [wikipedia] and it turns out Boston Terriers and Bull Terriers are Completely Different Dogs. Who knew?

Edit 2: They are not completely different, since they have a common lineage, but are different enough to warrant at least a bms.
As I recall, the picture was of a Boston Terrier. As you say, there are Boston Terriers and there are Bull Terriers, but everything i google or wikipedia-ize, sends "Boston Bull Terrier" to Boston Terrier. Alex is pretty good at stating untrue things with great authority.
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"
Elijah Baley
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Elijah Baley »

chmmr wrote:What about just Boston Terrier lol

I'd have to hear it again but I think Alex misspoke. That was a Boston Terrier. I've never heard it described as a "Boston Bull Terrier" although it's listed as an alternate name on Wikipedia. But it was clearly not a Bull Terrier, and "Boston Terrier" clearly would have been accepted.

Yorkshire Terrier and Jack Russell Terrier were pretty funny misses since both of those breeds are well known - and don't look anything like Boston Terriers! :oops:
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

sharathun wrote:Thank you so much for your support everyone. This was such an amazing opportunity, and I'm so glad to have gotten to share the stage with Alec and Michael in the finals.
Sharath - Congrats. I was very impressed with your ability to stay clam throughout the tournament.

Michael - You were very impressive throughout the tournament, we can see your struggles with the buzzer in the final. Sharath had an uncanny timing. Is that due to video games, Sharath?

Alec - Good job and loved your support group, reactions etc.

Better tourney than I expected. Two thoughts come to mind - 1) I am glad y'all won't be eligible for general adult versions 2) why wait 7 months to show the tourney, this is awful for participants and their dear ones.

Back to not clearing the boards.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

Congratulations, Sharath. Michael, you should still be proud of how you did. Making the finals of a tournament is still pretty impressive.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Elijah Baley wrote:I'd have to hear it again but I think Alex misspoke. That was a Boston Terrier. I've never heard it described as a "Boston Bull Terrier" although it's listed as an alternate name on Wikipedia.
I had to look this one up afterward, too. I've always heard the breed referred to simply as a Boston Terrier.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

sarisson wrote:Great performances by all the finalists. These boards were not as easy as usual. I never got 50 right. :(
I strongly disagree with AT that this was one of the most exciting finishes in recent years. 2014's Teen Tournament ended in a tiebreaker won by lumosityfan.
With harder clues, that "geographic math" category would be great for a TOC.
Occasionally I see one of these tournaments and think "this material isn't that hard." Then I remember the ages of these contestants and think, "How much of this stuff would I have known when I was 16 or so>"

Them are some bright, knowledgeable young men. Well done, all three.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

sharathun wrote:Thank you so much for your support everyone. This was such an amazing opportunity, and I'm so glad to have gotten to share the stage with Alec and Michael in the finals.
Congrats, it was a most impressive final grouping and you totally earned the championship.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The game moved too quickly to jot down the spots, but it seemed like there may have been several places with editing work done and not just the tip"ping" one.

INANIMATE OBJECTS? $400: In "Beauty & the Beast", Lumiere, voiced by Jerry Orbach, is naturally this object

I counted my response of candelabra as correct. Is candlestick by Sharath the better response or no difference between the two?

Yes, a very good tournament and the audience was entertained.

Nice to see the young gentlemen walk away with $175,000 in prize money for displaying their admirable game playing skills.

In the so what, who cares, meaningless department: Sharath trailed entering the FJ! round in three of his four matches while Alec led in three of his four matches.

Mayflower Compact was a no doubter to finish the tourney at 8/10 on the FJ! clues and I'll take that result over a 9/10 that would bug me more for being so close to the perfecto.

Is the order for the upcoming sweeps events the College Championship in February and then the TOC in May which will include two college champs?

Whenever those tourneys do air I'm sure there will not be such a long wait from tape days to air time as the teens were forced to endure.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

MarkBarrett wrote:I counted my response of candelabra as correct. Is candlestick by Sharath the better response or no difference between the two?
Other than candelabra being the plural form, I'd say your response is technically more correct. A candlestick holds a single candle and a candelabrum holds multiple candles. I don't think there's any question that "candelabra" would be accepted.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MarkBarrett wrote:is the order for the upcoming sweeps events the College Championship in February and then the TOC in May which will include two college champs?

Whenever those tourneys do air I'm sure there will not be such a long wait from tape days to air time as the teens were forced to endure.
Jeopardy.com has the College Tourney in February, so I guess that's locked in, but there's still no official date on a ToC. It would indeed appear they'll have at least two College champs in the next one.
flutist319
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by flutist319 »

The alternative "candelabra/candelabras" has been in use since the early 19th century at least:
OED wrote:1815 Edinb. Rev. 25 106 Some of these [cacti]..divided into several branches in the form of candelabras.
1819 Scott Ivanhoe I. vii*. 103 Four silver candelabras, holding great waxen torches.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Congratulations to Sharath for a fine victory over two strong opponents. Congratulations to Alec and Michael for making it to the finals in a competitive field. And congratulations to all the teens for an excellent, exciting tournament.

I've only seen 4 tournaments since I started watching Jeopardy regularly in October 2015, and I would rank this one above the College and Teachers Tournament.

As for the game, no clue why Alec didn't go DD hunting in the DJ round; it was his only chance. As it was, Sharath himself went DD hunting, and was rewarded by getting all three. Frankly, betting the minimum, $5, would have been an acceptable strategy, too.

LT of primitive and peacekeeping. Instaget FJ.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

And wow, Teen tournament participants can't do Adult Jeopardy? That sucks. Would be very interesting to see the trio in the finals again on the adult show in 5-10 years.