Thursday, December 1, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, December 1, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7414, 2016-12-01

CONTESTANTS
Asim Modi, an attorney from San Francisco, California
Kylie Carrithers, an intensive English instructor from Terre Haute, Indiana
Justin Bender, a technical engineer from Boulder, Colorado (whose 4-day cash winnings total $62,401)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, everyone, and welcome to our program. Our current young champion, Justin, has won every game this week, but in a quiet, unassuming way. And yet as you just heard, he's won a lot of money, over $62,000. Asim and Kylie, I'll wish you the same kind of luck. Let's go to work, players.

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
U.S. CITY NICKNAMES (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
CRIMINAL CHOICES (4/5)
SHAKESPEAREAN SHORTIES (3/5)
THE TV BUSINESS (5/5)
CROSSWORD CLUES "G" (4/5)
THE AGE OF WHALING (4/4) (Sarah: From the remarkable living history museum of Mystic Seaport.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Justin: 10 R, 1 W
Kylie: 9 R (including 1 rebound), 3 W
Asim: 5 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 4 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 5
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,600

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Asim found the Daily Double on the 13th clue. Justin had $800, Kylie had $1,200, and Asim had a deficit with -$400. Asim wagered $800.

U.S. CITY NICKNAMES $1000: "The Fountain of Youth" city

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Kylie: $1,800
Justin: $1,200
Asim: $400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Asim Modi is an attorney from San Francisco, and Asim, as you probably heard during the commercial break, somebody in the audience was asking me about my facility with languages. You had an experience with a foreign language in Germany, am I right?

Asim: That's right. It was my Lost in Translation moment, I think. I was traveling in Germany. I was with--visiting some friends. I was in a town hall outside of Frankfurt. And some guy comes up to me, starts speaking in German. I don't understand a word, but you know, in the universal tradition, I just nod along, you know, like, "Yeah, I know what's going on. Yeah, of course." You just nod along. And all of a sudden, somebody comes by and says, "Do you have any idea what he just said to you?" And I'm like, "No clue." And he's like, "Well, he just said that they're gonna fight outside, they're forming teams, and you just agreed to be on his side."

[Laughter]

Asim: And so I, like, ran right away.

Alex: Out the back door, I hope.

Asim: Absolutely, yes.

Alex: Okay.

Alex: Kylie--is it Carrethers?

Kylie: Carrithers.

Alex: Carrithers, from Terre Haute, Indiana. Speaking of traveling and living abroad, you used to live abroad in Asia.

Kylie: Yes. I lived in Thailand, and it was in the northeast section in Isan. And it was kind of hard for me because the town didn't even have a McDonald's. I had to go an hour away to get any chicken nuggets.

[Laughter]

Alex: You're basing your foreign experience on the availability of a McDonald's?

Kylie: After six months straight of Thai food, I really just wanted, like, a cheeseburger.

Alex: Ah. If you had said that, I would have understood. Okay, good for you.

Alex: Justin Bender is a technical engineer. He is our champion. And he practiced--some people practice before they come on Jeopardy! as contestants. What did you do?

Justin: I--so I had heard that TV cameras can be really bright, which they are. And so I decided to practice for that by finding the brightest lights I could and just aiming them directly at my face.

[Laughter]

Alex: And shouting out responses at the same time? Sort of? Yeah.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
CROSSWORD CLUES "G" $1000: Pygmalion's statuesque bride
(7)

U.S. CITY NICKNAMES $800: "Georgia's First City"
(Asim: What is Atlanta?)
(Justin: What is Athens?)
(Kylie: What's Macon?)

SHAKESPEAREAN SHORTIES $800: The characters of "The Tempest" include this "savage and deformed slave"
(Asim: Who is Prospero?)

SHAKESPEAREAN SHORTIES $1000: Think fast! Shakespeare's "Henry IV" plays boast a hostess called Mistress this

CRIMINAL CHOICES $1000: Want it in 20s? In 2008 a Texas man was charged with this fraudulent act after trying to cash a check for $360 billion
(Kylie: What is check fraud?)
(Asim: What is kiting?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Justin: $4,800
Kylie: $2,600
Asim: -$1,400
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, December 1, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
BUILDING BIG (4/5)
WE'VE GOT CHEMISTRY (4/4)
JOEL (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
"ROCK" IT TO ME (4/5)
WAR! (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
ALMOST BEFORE & AFTER (1/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Asim: 9 R (including 2 rebounds and 1 DD), 1 W
Justin: 9 R (including 2 rebounds), 3 W (including 1 DD)
Kylie: 1 R, 4 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 9
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $14,400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Asim snagged the next Daily Double on the 3rd clue. Justin had $4,800, Kylie had $2,600, and Asim had a deficit with -$200. Asim wagered $1,000.

WAR! $1200: 1904-05:
Russia vs. this country

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Justin who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 8th clue. Justin had $4,000, Kylie had $1,000, and Asim had a deficit with -$400. Justin wagered $2,000.

JOEL $1200: From 1913 until his death in 1939, Joel Elias Spingarn was a prominent administrator of this organization
(Justin: What is the Reichstag?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
WAR! $1600: 1932-35:
the Chaco War, between Paraguay & this northern neighbor
(Justin: What is Peru?)
(Asim: What is Brazil?)
(Kylie: What is Uruguay?)

WAR! $2000: 1969:
the Soccer War between El Salvador & this northern neighbor

JOEL $2000: In 1794 when this man was imprisoned in Paris, his friend poet Joel Barlow helped publish his work "The Age of Reason"

"ROCK" IT TO ME $2000: The Righteous Brothers hit No. 3 in 1974 with this tune about a place with "a hell of a band" including Jimi, Janis & Otis

ALMOST BEFORE & AFTER $800: Gerry & the Pacemakers river song invoked when one team is winning by a huge margin

ALMOST BEFORE & AFTER $1200: Chicken & noodle dish from L.A.'s Chao Krung restaurant served when a tennis set goes to 6-all

ALMOST BEFORE & AFTER $1600: A Lexington college hoops squad joins Hans & Fritz in the comics; their goal-- confounding der Captain

ALMOST BEFORE & AFTER $2000: Part of NYC's Waldorf where Barack Obama stayed while singing a Guns n' Roses No. 1 ballad

BUILDING BIG $1200: Going from Virginia Beach to Wilmington, Delaware is 95 miles shorter via this 17.6 mile bridge tunnel
(Alex: With less than a minute to go now.)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Justin: $9,600
Asim: $5,200
Kylie: -$1,400

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE DECORATIVE ARTS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Justin: Wager $801 to cover Asim.
Asim: You have the hope of surpassing Justin if you come up with the correct response. Bet all $5,200.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In the early 1700s in Dresden, King Augustus locked up a chemist until he found how to make this product dubbed "white gold"

FINAL SCORES
Asim: $5,200 + $5,199 = $10,399 (What is Porcelein) (New champion: $10,399)
Justin: $9,600 - $801 = $8,799 (What is gunpowder?) (2nd place)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $19,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Justin: $11,600, 19 R, 4 W (including 1 DD)
Asim: $5,600, 14 R (including 2 DDs), 5 W
Kylie: -$1,400, 10 R, 7 W
Combined Coryat: $15,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Justin: 19/59 = .322
Asim: 15/60 = .250
Kylie: 10/58 = .172
Team: 44/63 = .698

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
SHAKESPEAREAN SHORTIES $400: Completes Hamlet's line, "Frailty, thy name is..."
(Kylie: What is man?)

SHAKESPEAREAN SHORTIES $600: Puck makes an ass of Nick Bottom in this comedy
(Asim: What is A Midsummer's Night's Dream?)

THE AGE OF WHALING $200: (Sarah of the Clue Crew gives the clue from Mystic Seaport, Connecticut.) From the hoops high above, lookouts would keep watch, and when they spotted a whale's spout, they commonly yelled this familiar 3-word phrase

CRIMINAL CHOICES $200: In 2013 a Mass. wallet snatcher dropped this natal document at the crime scene--not from the wallet, his own
(Alex: Less than a minute to go now.)

THE AGE OF WHALING $400: (Sarah of the Clue Crew gives the clue from Mystic Seaport, Connecticut.) In the seventeen and eighteen-hundreds, whale oil was in high demand for use in lamps and candles and to lubricate machinery parts; after a whale was killed, chunks of this thick layer of fat would be boiled in tri-pots like these to produce the oil

THE AGE OF WHALING $600: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew gives the clue from Mystic Seaport, Connecticut.) After a whale was spotted, the crew pursued it in a boat like this; in 1820, sailors spent 3 harrowing months on their boats after the Essex was sunk by an 85-foot whale, inspiring this classic 1851 novel

THE AGE OF WHALING $800: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew gives the clue from Mystic Seaport, Connecticut.) At the recreated 19th century seafaring village, see how these craftsmen made casks to store whale oil at sea
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

"ROCK" IT TO ME $1600: "Everybody just have a good time, and we gonna make you lose your mind", says this tune by LMFAO
(Kylie: What is "Party Rock"?)

ALMOST BEFORE & AFTER $400: A bad kid's Christmas stocking will contain the object that composed "I've Got You Under My Skin"
(Kylie: What is Nat King Cole?)

WE'VE GOT CHEMISTRY $800: Pneumatic chemistry deals with elements in this state of matter
(Kylie: What's liquid?)

WE'VE GOT CHEMISTRY $1200: In 1773 Carl Scheele discovered this element first, but Joseph Priestley beat him into print & inhaled the credit
(Justin: What is helium?)

WE'VE GOT CHEMISTRY $1600: Though it's much more common in the Earth's crust than lead, say, cerium is known as this type of "earth" element
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
St. Augustine
Galatea
Savannah
Caliban
Mistress Quickly
forgery
Japan
NAACP
Bolivia
Honduras
Thomas Paine
"Rock And Roll Heaven"
"Ferry Cross The Mersey" rule
pad Thai-breaker
the Wild Katzenjammer Kids
the presidential "Sweet Child Of Mine"
the Chesapeake Bay Bridge
porcelain
woman
A Midsummer Night's Dream
thar she blows
a birth certificate
blubber
Moby Dick
coopers
"Party Rock Anthem"
a lump of Cole Porter
gas
oxygen
rare earth
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE DECORATIVE ARTS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In the early 1700s in Dresden, King Augustus locked up a chemist until he found how to make this product dubbed “white gold”

Justin Bender: 9600-801=8799
Kylie Carrithers: minus 1400
Asim Modi: 5200+5199=10399 (New champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
porcelain (Justin – gunpowder) (Asim – porcelein)

Daily Doubles
Asim: minus 400+800
Asim: minus 200+1000
Justin: 4000-2000

Coryats
Justin: 11600
Kylie: minus 1400
Asim: 5600

Combined:15,800
Last edited by theFJguy on Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Sucks to miss an FJ that earlier appeared in a game I entered into the J-Archive, even if it was a 30-year-old ToC game that I did at least 5 years ago.

http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=2555

Porcelain = Dresden china
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Double dose of Alex's NH,NF tonight with:
Atlanta/Athens/Macon for Savannah
and
Peru/Brazil/Uruguay for Bolivia

Those kind of things really hurt the combined Coryat that was an embarrassing 15,800 today.

Justin's DD miss of taking Joel Spingarn's name to guess "Reichstad"/"Rikkstad" (whatever it was) instead of NAACP was one out of left field and cost him the runaway, 5th win and potentially a TOC spot.

Asim capitalized on that opening to take the match with his sole (yes, 2-person only) solve in the FJ! round. Chalk another one up for someone from San Francisco winning. I expect coverage in all the local newspapers as well as the evening news. :lol:

A miss for me on the FJ! clue. I got as far as thinking pottery and struggling to find a name of something to guess. I spell about as well as Asim as I wrote "laquer" to avoid a blank page.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Wow. Just... wow. What a mess. Ouch to all three contestants. I liked them all and I feel bad with them.

Asim was just not ready for prime time. Not once, but twice he landed on a DD while in the red and bet less than the maximum. At least he went (essentially) all in on FJ. Asim also made the classic "Midsummer's Night's Dream" gaffe. Kylie kept shooting herself in the foot. Twice she rang in after Justin and Asim had negged and threw in her own neg. She also couldn't connect "pneumatic" to gas rather than solid or liquid.

Naturally, with this competition, this is the day Justin loses.

How many triple stumpers were there? We didn't know Galatea or Mistress Quickly or what country's north of Bolivia or what's the oldest city in Georgia.

On the plus side, the interview segment was good to great across the board. And I really liked Kylie's shoes. I wish we could've gotten a closer look.
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

Very, very tough boards today. "Almost before and after" was a horrible category that I hope we never see again.

I had no idea Dresden was famous for porcelain but I'll never forget it now!
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
Leander

Post by Leander »

Even though I knew Dresden was famous for porcelain, I had no idea it was invented there, and the references to chemist and white gold led me fruitlessly down the path of metals.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

No harm no foul, eh Alex?
*drink*

I was done with Asim after he bet small on DDs from in the hole twice. Repeatedly going back to that awful, take-it-out-back-and-shoot-it-with-both-barrels, Almsot Before & After category was the cherry on top. So of course he wins.

Mumbled the right answer with maybe 5% confidence at the 29 second mark; basically, the exact opposite of instaget.

That Reichstag neg...I mean, Spingarn is forever burned into my skull from that FJ a while back (probably the last FJ ever to ask for that particular name), but of all the things to WAG...
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

I said Supergirl for the Luthor Corp clue (love the show!). That may not have been the answer they were looking for, but I can't remember anything in the clue that wouldn't have led to a reversal, if not counting it as correct outright.

I felt just "Party Rock" should have been accepted. You could probably argue either way on that one.
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

The song is called "Party Rock Anthem." "Party Rock" is the band's first album.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

zakharov wrote:The song is called "Party Rock Anthem." "Party Rock" is the band's first album.
Ah, thank you. I'm pretty sure I know people who don't know that distinction (myself being one until a minute ago :oops:).
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I think Justin got a chuckle from his very bad guess on the DD. Given the year, it probably wasn't that bad a guess if you have no idea. I think the Spingarn Medals have been mentioned on the show or a DD so I did have some vague recollection of them being an award for blacks, so I got this one right.

No chance for me on FJ, not even a guess.

I agree this wasn't the best game ever played. Bad DD bets by the eventual winner and throw a dart at the board guesses by the other challenger.
jwatcher16
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jwatcher16 »

zakharov wrote:Very, very tough boards today. "Almost before and after" was a horrible category that I hope we never see again.

I had no idea Dresden was famous for porcelain but I'll never forget it now!
Hi zakharov and everyone -

I totally agree that "Almost before and after" was a horrible category and with your sentiment.

But I did know porcelain - and had heard of this imprisoned chemist's story - thanks Mysteries at the Museum! :)

And Opus, I too, liked all three contestants and felt bad at times for all three.
Stanislaus Jacob

Post by Stanislaus Jacob »

I had a rare TPH moment with the clue about the former (not even current) NYC public schools chancellor - by which I mean that I can't see any reason why someone from outside New York should know him.

The Final Jeopardy, while it was difficult and I did not get it, was not unreasonable. And I actually got a couple Almost Before and After clues right, so I have no problem there.
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

Vowela wrote:I said Supergirl for the Luthor Corp clue (love the show!). That may not have been the answer they were looking for, but I can't remember anything in the clue that wouldn't have led to a reversal, if not counting it as correct outright.
I thought it was LexCorp (now L Corp) on Supergirl.

I can't remember the $2000 Almost Before & After clue, but that was the only one I got. I also got Mistress Quickly.

Porcelain was the only thing I could think of for FJ, so I'm glad it was right. Moby's song of that name wasn't quite as educational as Monty Python's "Oliver Cromwell" or TMBG's "James K Polk."
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

dinghammer wrote:
Vowela wrote:I said Supergirl for the Luthor Corp clue (love the show!). That may not have been the answer they were looking for, but I can't remember anything in the clue that wouldn't have led to a reversal, if not counting it as correct outright.
I thought it was LexCorp (now L Corp) on Supergirl.
Nope. Definitely Luthor Corp (then L Corp, of course).
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

That was a FJ I was never going to get. The bits about the chemist and white gold had me thinking elements. Then remembering the category just left me befuddled. Even when Alex highlighted Dresden, I had no idea. I don't associate that city with porcelain at all. Maybe if it had been Delft...
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Stanislaus Jacob wrote:I had a rare TPH moment with the clue about the former (not even current) NYC public schools chancellor - by which I mean that I can't see any reason why someone from outside New York should know him.

The Final Jeopardy, while it was difficult and I did not get it, was not unreasonable. And I actually got a couple Almost Before and After clues right, so I have no problem there.
Same here on the school guy. I figured it would be some ex-politician or someone I had heard of.
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

Vowela wrote:Nope. Definitely Luthor Corp (then L Corp, of course).
So it was! My, as they say, bad.

EDIT: Then, at the end of tonight's Legends of Tomorrow, Supergirl wore the same outfit Justin wore on tonight's Jeopardy!