Thursday, December 1, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

KathyWellsville
Contributor

Re: Thursday, December 1, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by KathyWellsville »

FJ was an insta-get. Thinking of Dresden China .. boy that before and after category stunk.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

I got the Ferry Cross the Mersey clue in the almost before and after category.
Also got the Savannah LT but only after first hearing that Atlanta was wrong.
Good get on the St. Augustine DD by Asim.

I knew they weren't asking for precious metal in the FJ but I still couldn't come up with anything.
doihavetoreally
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by doihavetoreally »

Asim's story was about Germany. Any advantage on FJ?

I have faintest of recollection about Dresden and porcelain.. No chance on FJ. I basically went Europe+ white = plaster of Paris. Don't mind the Paris part.

Also lost on the FJ category itself. What does it entail?
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
Peachbox
Sports Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Peachbox »

I had just "china" for FJ. Judges?
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $29,200
41 R/2 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :(
LT: Savannah, forgery, Bolivia, NAACP (DD), pad (Thai/tie)breaker, Kentucky Wild(cats/Katz)enjammer Kids

I too was stuck on metals on FJ! My best guess was pewter.

I strongly disagree with the apparently popular sentiment here. I thought Almost Before & After was great. I was a step too late on Presidential (Suite/Sweet) Child O' Mine, though, because I don't generally think of that song as a ballad. I was trying to figure out something to go with "November Rain" or "Don't Cry," although I knew the latter was not a #1.

It felt good to pick up LT on two different triple-neg clues in the same game. OTOH, I was humbled by not being able to pull either of Galatea or Caliban.

Check kiting has pretty much been eliminated by increases in check processing speed due to technology, but the idea of being able to kite a $360 billion check made this former bank teller chuckle.
Sprinkles are for winners.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Should the new champ have been negged for "Six Day War"?
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
JemRiffster
Contributor

Post by JemRiffster »

floridagator wrote:Should the new champ have been negged for "Six Day War"?
Why should he have been negged? That's what it's called.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

Porcelain was in and out of my head in a flash. I'd never heard it called "white gold". I settled on a white metal which was quite rare in metallic form at that time - aluminum.
OCSam
davey

Post by davey »

I thought china right away, but "white gold" seemed a little grand for dishes (and I kind of thought china was invented in China). I figured I was missing something, but the word porcelain just did not come... :roll:
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

That was one of the worst games I've seen.

Asim is very lucky that his DD wagering didn't end with him being locked out by Justin, which he was a mere $601 away from doing. It still cost him $2400 in winnings, though.

There were also a lot of negs that felt like wild, random guesses. Others have pointed out the attempts on "a country north of Bolivia". Another was the bizarre attempts on the "forgery" clue. Or "Who is Proteus" for a monstrous character in The Tempest.

Additionally, the "Almost Before and After" was a dreadful category and as inscrutable for me as it was for the contestants.

On a positive personal note, I went 5/5 in the "Rock" category, including the $2,000 LT. Okay, nothing impressive by most peoples' standards here, but considering I absolutely suck at music trivia, it made me happy.

Not sure if I would have gotten FJ, as my mother said it instantly. Let's say no, to be on the safe side.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I think porcelain was mentioned in Slaughterhouse 5 or else I read it elsewhere but I did get it. I agree with Matt above that Sweet Child O' Mine is not really a ballad. I was stuck on November Rain. I was playing sporcle on my phone and didn't realize the one player was so far in the red. Dreary game.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

dinghammer wrote:
Vowela wrote:I said Supergirl for the Luthor Corp clue (love the show!). That may not have been the answer they were looking for, but I can't remember anything in the clue that wouldn't have led to a reversal, if not counting it as correct outright.
I thought it was LexCorp (now L Corp) on Supergirl.

I can't remember the $2000 Almost Before & After clue, but that was the only one I got. I also got Mistress Quickly.

Porcelain was the only thing I could think of for FJ, so I'm glad it was right. Moby's song of that name wasn't quite as educational as Monty Python's "Oliver Cromwell" or TMBG's "James K Polk."
AB&A 2K:
Spoiler
Presidential Suite/Sweet Child O' Mine
It was the only one I got too. I didn't hate the concept, but they sure picked some stinkers of clues for em.

First combo that came to mind... Inconceivable! Vizzini portrayer wins Best Supporting Actor for The Untouchables
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Volante wrote: It was the only one I got too. I didn't hate the concept, but they sure picked some stinkers of clues for em.

First combo that came to mind... Inconceivable! Vizzini portrayer wins Best Supporting Actor for The Untouchables
The problem with that category is that you essentially have to solve not one, but two different trivia questions while also figuring out a way to tie them together phonetically.

At least with regular "Before and After" you don't have to figure out the verbal link.

I agree your clue was better than most the writers came up with in that category, but simply asking for the name of the actor who played Vizzini in the movie would be a TS on many (most?) Jeopardy shows, from what I've seen.
jpr281
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jpr281 »

Vowela wrote:I said Supergirl for the Luthor Corp clue (love the show!). That may not have been the answer they were looking for, but I can't remember anything in the clue that wouldn't have led to a reversal, if not counting it as correct outright.
I remember the word Super was in the clue, so that led me to Smallville.

As horrible as the before and after category was, what was worse was Asim continually going back to it when it was obvious nobody wanted any part of it.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

In before TPH to say that him calling "Atlanta" a negbait for "Georgia's First City" is my precall.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
flutist319
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by flutist319 »

I'm usually decent at Before and After, but this was just weird. Maybe just too much pop culture for me. My reaction to the first one was "is it COAL Porter?" (I'd never seen an "Almost Before and After" on the show before, and didn't know what the "almost" referred to.)
IronNeck wrote:Or "Who is Proteus" for a monstrous character in The Tempest.
I thought he said Prospero -- which would be at least as bad.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

flutist319 wrote:
Yep, you're correct. Still, if one's only knowledge of a Shakespeare play is the name of a character and nothing else, randomly guessing that is a poor strategy. (Unless it's late and one needs the dollar amount to avoid a crush/lock, etc. standard disclaimers)
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

flutist319 wrote:
Do you think so? Prospero is at least a character in the play in question, just not the correct one. Anyway, my recollection is the same as yours. He said Prospero, not Proteus.
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

Alex must not be a big G n' R fan -- the song is not called "Sweet Child OF Mine."
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

MarkBarrett wrote:Chalk another one up for someone from San Francisco winning. I expect coverage in all the local newspapers as well as the evening news. :lol:
I was being sarcastic and then today I saw this in a local paper:

Anuj Patel, a scientist from San Francisco, is slated to appear on TV's "Jeopardy!" on Dec. 6.