Monday, December 5, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, December 5, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, December 5, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
YOU, SIR, ARE AN IMPASTO (5/5)
TOUGH 3-LETTER WORDS (5/5)
THE SPACE RACE (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
GOING TO THE DOG'S BREED (5/5)
VOLCANOES (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
WHO "AR" THEY? (3/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Yi: 8 R (including 2 rebounds), 0 W
Matthew: 10 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)
Tim: 6 R, 1 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $6,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Tim snagged the next Daily Double on the 5th clue. Tim had $5,000, Yi had $2,800, and Matthew was at $4,000. Tim wagered $3,000.

VOLCANOES $1600: The island of Tutuila in this U.S. territory is dominated by the eroded Pago volcano
(Tim: What is Guam?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Matthew who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 22nd clue. Tim had $4,000, Yi had $7,600, and Matthew was at $10,400. Matthew wagered $4,000.

THE SPACE RACE $2000: This commander on his 1970 flight: "Our mission was a failure but I like to think it was a successful failure"
(Matthew: Who is Cooper?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
VOLCANOES $2000: More than 20 glaciers flow from the slopes of Russia's Mount Elbrus in this mountain chain

WHO "AR" THEY? $800: Abu Ammar was the nom de guerre of this longtime leader of the Palestine Liberation Organization

WHO "AR" THEY? $1600: Florence Nightingale Graham was the real name of this cosmetics queen

THE SPACE RACE $1600: In 1967 cosmonaut Vladimir Komarov perished during re-entry aboard this spacecraft 1

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Yi: $12,000
Matthew: $7,600
Tim: $6,800

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
NAME'S THE SAME

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Yi: Wager $3,201 to cover Matthew.
Matthew: You have the hope of surpassing Yi if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $6,001 to force Yi to wager to win while also protecting your position from being usurped by Tim.
Tim: Your only hope of a win is that you're the only one to give a correct response, so bet $6,798 or so, leaving a few bucks behind in case someone wagers it all.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Name shared by one of a trio of young chums in a popular book series & the daughter of Menelaus & Helen of Troy

FINAL SCORES
Tim: $6,800 + $6,000 = $12,800 (What is Hermione?) (35001-day champion: $12,800)
Matthew: $7,600 - $7,600 = $0 (What is Ajax?) (3rd place)
Yi: $12,000 - $3,300 = $8,700 (What is Leto) (2nd place)
(Alex: If you are Harry Potter fans, this would have been a fairly easy clue for you, I think.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $9,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Yi: $13,400, 15 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Matthew: $11,600, 19 R, 5 W (including 1 DD)
Tim: $9,800, 14 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $34,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Matthew: 19/59 = .322
Tim: 15/59 = .254
Yi: 15/59 = .254
Team: 49/63 = .778

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
CLASSIC MONOPOLY $800: Kentucky & Indiana Avenues are 2/3 of a monopoly; this third property is also a state that borders both
(Matthew: What is Ohio Avenue?)

19th CENTURY AMERICA $1000: A hero of the War of 1812 and the Mexican War, this general and Whig candidate lost the 1852 presidential election

VOLCANOES $1200: Check out this Sicilian volcano doing its thing in December of 2015

WHO "AR" THEY? $400: The action of a helix is central to this man's 2,000-year-old concept, still utilized today
(Matthew: Who is Aristotle?)

YOU, SIR, ARE AN IMPASTO $800: A great painter of this country is the Japanese artist Affandi, who employed an expressionist impasto

YOU, SIR, ARE AN IMPASTO $1200: A water-based solution was used to remove decades of dirt during the restoration of an impasto-heavy work by this artist

YOU, SIR, ARE AN IMPASTO $1600: "Girl Reading a Letter at an Open Window" is an excellent example of impasto from this Dutch master
(Matthew: Who is Rembrandt?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Tarzan
Phil Spector
Professor Van Helsing
duty, honor, country
Pennsylvania
justice for all
American Samoa
James Lovell
the Caucasus
Yasser Arafat
Elizabeth Arden
Soyuz 1
Hermione
Illinois
Winfield Scott
Etna
Archimedes
Indonesia
Jackson Pollock
Vermeer
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
NAME’S THE SAME

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Name shared by one of a trio of young chums in a popular book series & the daughter of Menelaus & Helen of Troy

Tim Aten: 6800+6000=12800 (2x = $47,800)
Yi Deng: 12000-3300=8700
Matthew Martinez: 7600-7600=0

Correct response:
Spoiler
Hermione (Yi – Leto) (Matthew – Ajax)

Daily Doubles
Yi: 1400-1400
Tim: 5000-3000
Matthew: 10400-4000

Coryats
Tim: 9800
Yi: 13400
Matthew: 11600

Combined: 34,800
Last edited by theFJguy on Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Couldn't remember whether Park Place or Boardwalk was the last space before Go. That was a bit tough for $200.

Overall, I thought the whole Monopoly category was very technical and required a lot of specificity.

Ran Christmas Albums and Dog Breed.

Tarzan was so obvious, but I just couldn't think of any literary character who'd be in the trees.

Ridge can be a "crest of ground"?

WLT Kennedy in Space for $400?

How was "justice for all" a stand and stare?

No guess on FJ! For some reason I was expecting a much older book series.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote:WLT Kennedy in Space for $400?
He was President in '62?

And they named the Space Center after him, so ....
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

econgator wrote:
He was President in '62?

"President" wasn't in the clue though was it?
jpr281
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jpr281 »

Yi moved up very sneakily towards the end of DJ.

A female in a trio of three chums? Might as well go with Hermione even though I had no idea that the name was based on Greek mythology.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
econgator wrote:
He was President in '62?

"President" wasn't in the clue though was it?
It wasn't, nor did it need to be.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

econgator wrote:It wasn't, nor did it need to be.
Then how were we supposed to know that a president is what was called for?
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Tarzan was so obvious, but I just couldn't think of any literary character who'd be in the trees.
Easily my worst DD miss of the season so far. Yeesh. Slapped my forehead so hard, I'm sure something broke.

By sheer coincidence, I did a Monopoly-themed Sporcle quiz just yesterday, so all of the spaces were fresh in my mind. Good thing; I haven't played the classic version in at least 15 years.

For FJ, getting it from the mythology half of the clue wasn't happening. Trio of young friends, popular book series? Default guess: Harry Potter. Female? Hermione. I'll take it. Ajax was...not the best guess :/
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
1962, plus it was part of a VERY famous speech ("We choose to go to the Moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard"). Alex's awful attempt at a JFK impression didn't hurt either (the one I did while reading the clue at home was even worse).
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

Stupid mistake of the day: answering Mt. St. Helena instead of Mt. St. Helens :P.
TenPoundHammer wrote:How was "justice for all" a stand and stare?
I don't get this. I don't get how you can think that clue was easy, while complaining about how hard JFK was.

It was a stand and stare because that was a difficult clue to work out in only a few seconds. I don't know any way of getting to the answer other than to recite the pledge in my head until I get to the word "and," which is at the very end of the pledge.

Plus, in the short amount of time you're given, you can easily answer "to the republic." "Justice for all" sounds like the more likely answer, but again, you aren't given much time to even get to the "justice for all" part.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

xxaaaxx wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
1962, plus it was part of a VERY famous speech ("We choose to go to the Moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard"). Alex's awful attempt at a JFK impression didn't hurt either (the one I did while reading the clue at home was even worse).
The clue wrote:On Sept. 12, 1962 he proclaimed, "We shall send to the moon, 240,000 miles away... a giant rocket more than 300 feet tall"
1962 tells you it took place in 1962. Nothing in the clue suggests President. If you don't know the speech, then there's nothing at all to grab onto.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

TenPoundHammer wrote:If you don't know the speech...
That's the entire problem right there. File it under "sometimes you just have to know stuff".

Also, second time this season that a Pago (Pago)/(Western) Samoa connection was a TS. Capitals, folks.
geometro
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by geometro »

what was the question for the answer regarding an artist in 1965 whose displayed artwork was so controversial that they had to wipe spit off of the displays daily?
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

econgator wrote:
He was President in '62?

I also considered Nikita Kruschev... he was in the race, eh?!

Instaget Fj, 42R; LT: Duty...Honor.. COUNTRY; Yassir Arafat; Samoa.
No get on Van Helsing, also went with Renfrow; and stupidly gave 'Vostok' for 'Soyuz' without attention to the darned dates!

Interesting presentation for Dan Sickles, famed for insanity defense against F Scott Key's son Phillip Barton Key II, who had an unfortunate affair with Mrs Sickles.
Dan said he went mad with rage and killed the fellow when he was out of his right mind, in broad daylight with dozens of witnesses on the street outside his home!
Curiously, this incident arose after Dan returned from England, where he deceptively presented a prostitute to Queen Victoria, passing the New York madam Fanny White off as his 'companion', "Miss Bennett," while his wife was back home pregnant, for which blatant indiscretion he was censured by the New York State Assembly... Dan was a real card! :twisted:

Later he became even more notorious for disobedience (or stupidity) in the face of the enemy at Gettysburg, when he ignored Gen Meade's order to hold his line in place, and advanced toward Rebel lines, exposing III Corps, which nearly gave the field away on the 2nd July. His punishment was to get his leg blown off in the saddle, but eventually earned the Medal of Honor for his poor service; you can still see Sickles' leg, complete with the ball that took it off, at the AFIP Pathology museum in DC! :ugeek:

The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Vowela wrote:Stupid mistake of the day: answering Mt. St. Helena instead of Mt. St. Helens :P.
TenPoundHammer wrote:How was "justice for all" a stand and stare?
I don't get this. I don't get how you can think that clue was easy, while complaining about how hard JFK was.

It was a stand and stare because that was a difficult clue to work out in only a few seconds. I don't know any way of getting to the answer other than to recite the pledge in my head until I get to the word "and," which is at the very end of the pledge.

Plus, in the short amount of time you're given, you can easily answer "to the republic." "Justice for all" sounds like the more likely answer, but again, you aren't given much time to even get to the "justice for all" part.
Perhaps my not knowing the pledge (don't think I've ever recitedvit ince that I can remember) but knowing the last part might have helped, as I'd forgotten "to the republic" was even in there.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

goatman wrote:
econgator wrote:
He was President in '62?

I also considered Nikita Kruschev... he was in the race, eh?!
I was pondering whether it was Kruschev in an attempt at false bravado, since I've never, ever heard the quote in the clue.
Before you guys slam me, I have heard the bit about "we choose to go to the moon not because it is easy" plenty of times but I always thought all that moon talk was part of his innaugural address, which wasn't 1962.
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

TenPoundHammer wrote: No guess on FJ! For some reason I was expecting a much older book series.

As was I - because of the 'chums' in the question. I suspect it was intended to hint towards British children's lit in general, but since 'chum' is very early-mid C20th Brit slang, it led me to Blyton-era fiction.

Spouse, on the other hand, had 'Hermione' while I was still debating with myself whether Blyton had ever written anything with three kids as opposed to five or seven.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

41 right.

Album (2), Monopoly (4), Lit (5), Motto (3), America (4), Noun (4)
Impasto (3), 3-Letter (3), Space (4), Dog (2), Volcano (5), "AR" (2)

Lach Trash: Phil Spector, Van Helsing, Pennsylvania, justice for all, Caucasus Mountains, Yasser Arafat; DD: Tarzan, American Samoa, James Lovell

I was able to get the book series fairly quickly and pick the right name; it made up for my lack of knowledge on the mythology side.