Wednesday, November 30, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

bbird
Valued Contributor

Re: Wednesday, November 30, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by bbird »

Vowela wrote:Was anyone else confused by the $1600 bear clue? I wasn't able to figure out what was being asked there.

Were they really not anticipating someone answering McNugget on the McChicken clue? Seemed like an odd "getting confirmation" pause there.
Agreed on both those items. I had to rewind to read those clues again.

What confused me about the Grand Funk jumble of words was the lack of a demonstrative pronoun. Not being familiar with "We're an American Band" (until a few minutes ago), I was thoroughly distracted trying to separate the wheat from the chaff on that clue.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

I first landed on Betty White (for some reason) for Final, but couldn't fit her into the Oscar. For some reason, Whoopi Goldberg came to me after that and when I realized it fit, in it went.

I'm curious if they would have accepted "Caryn Johnson" for that or, more controversially, "Who is Johnson"? (I'm sure they would have taken just "Goldberg"). I know they've accepted Samuel Clemens for a Mark Twain clue, even when one contestant writes his birth name and one his pen name and both get credit, but somehow I think the situation might be different for Ms. Goldberg?
doihavetoreally wrote:Would they have BMI on Clinton? I couldn't remember DeWitt and I was thinking George ..that's a completely different Clinton!
I figured they would BMI and so, instead of my intent to just say "Clinton", I said "George Clinton". :(
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

I was told this story about a high school quizbowl match. The question asked,"What was derisively known as 'Clinton's Ditch'?" The kid said,"Monica Lewinksy".
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
IronNeck
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by IronNeck »

xxaaaxx wrote:"...this John Bunyan work", a TS. I'm curious if they've ever asked for any others.
Nope!

Is this the first game that the champion has been DD hunting? Combined with his competent DD wagering yesterday, maybe he quickly looked up some wagering basics after his second win, especially if that was the last taping of the day?

Missed FJ. Even after the fact, I don't consider FJ as easy as some of you did, since I had no idea that Whoopi Goldberg won an Emmy, and it's one of those "it either comes to you or it doesn't" ones.

I actually missed almost all of the first half of the SJ board, but at least got LT of Louis XIV (strange miss) and The Pilgrim's Progress.
opusthepenguin wrote: Michael underwagered on his DD which meant he was forced to get FJ right. He didn't. Fortunately for him, Justin did, so it was a moo point.
Yep. Amusing how some contestants don't appear to see any difference between being within 2/3rds of the leader's score versus outside of it. (Crush versus non-crush situation) The difference in win expectancy is massive; 20% or more.
earendel

Post by earendel »

opusthepenguin wrote:Anybody else start singing about the Erie canal going from Albany to Buffalo?
Yes.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

dhkendall wrote:
doihavetoreally wrote:Would they have BMI on Clinton? I couldn't remember DeWitt and I was thinking George ..that's a completely different Clinton!
I figured they would BMI and so, instead of my intent to just say "Clinton", I said "George Clinton". :(
Like minds and all, eh?
silverscreentest wrote:I was told this story about a high school quizbowl match. The question asked,"What was derisively known as 'Clinton's Ditch'?" The kid said,"Monica Lewinksy".
:)
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

This was far far far from an instaget for me, but there were enough pieces in the clue for me to put it together after about 15 seconds. Whoopi getting the nod for Ghost is definitely familiar to me.

I found single Jeopardy really easy and struggled in Double Jeopardy - mostly due to the categories.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

earendel wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:Anybody else start singing about the Erie canal going from Albany to Buffalo?
Yes.
I forgot the Albany to Buffalo line, but I did sing the part about Sal the mule. :)
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Memorizing this list wins two games in a month... I'm precalling the actress famous for playing Holly Golightly as the NEXT EGOT clue for postmortem award! :o
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
davey

Post by davey »

Another frustrating FJ here - I was pulled away from the correct - and yes, in retrospect obvious - response. I (obtusely) never thought of anything but soap operas for the Emmy piece, and cast in vain for some famous funny lady who'd guested. I knew Carol Burnett did, but I knew she didn't have an Oscar.
Comedy Grammy made me think standup, and I don't think of Goldberg as a standup. Her Grammy came from a recording of her Broadway show, in which she played characters....
I ended up writing down Rivers, though I knew she had no Oscar either...
I wouldn't have been surprised if Goldberg was given a special Tony for her one-woman show, but it didn't happen. Her EGOT status is pretty lame. She was one of about a dozen producers of the musical Thoroughly Modern Millie - in other words, she was an investor... :roll:
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

davey wrote:Comedy Grammy made me think standup, and I don't think of Goldberg as a standup.
Same here. If I'd thought of the EGOT angle or just thought of Whoopi at any point, I think I would have known she was right. Instead, I tried to think of an '80s comedian who was in movies in the '90s and on daytime TV in the '00s. At least she had one of the three awards (and several of that one).
pinkfreud
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by pinkfreud »

I sure did. I've loved that song since I was a child. I had a 78rpm record of Pete Seeger singing it. I literally wore the record out.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Serengeti tripped me up because it was the only one that didn't start or end in "get", but rather had it in the middle.

Debt for $600 seemed like a coinflip on GNP/GDP.

Missed Williams-Sonoma because I don't know what they sell (upscale stores are a weak spot), and overthought the Hot Topic clue to say their sister brand Torrid instead. Derp.

Largest fish = whale shark was new to me.

How was Buffalo a TS?

Played FJ! off the thread before seeing the episode; no guess. How am I supposed to even guess?!
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Debt for $600 seemed like a coinflip on GNP/GDP.
This is fair, but just try to remember that GDP is a much more widely used metric. To use the U.S. as an example, GDP is the measure of all economic activity in America, including by foreign nationals and corporations. GNP is the measure of all economic activity by Americans, including expatriates and American corporations operating overseas.
Sprinkles are for winners.
davey

Post by davey »

GNP has not been used as a "primary measure" of economic activity in the US since 1991.

http://www.bea.gov/glossary/glossary.cf ... tter=G#GNP