Monday, December 5, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, December 5, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by davey »

Bamaman wrote:I'll admit I said Krushev for the moon speech. :oops:

I also had no idea how to spell FJ's name and wrote down Hermone. I thought there was an I in I, but wasn't sure if it was before o after the o so I left it out.

I did get justice for all, so it wasn't a complete loss.
My hunch is, they would not have accepted Hermone, but Hermine would have gotten by... The o isn't really silent, but it can be elided.
I can only speak for myself, but it wasn't hard to skip to the end of the Pledge for the right phrase...
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

seaborgium wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
seaborgium wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Couldn't remember whether Park Place or Boardwalk was the last space before Go. That was a bit tough for $200.
A $200 clue asking for an expensive Monopoly property is going to be Boardwalk every time.
Not if you can't remember which of the two is closer to Go (and thus the most expensive). Binary choices ALWAYS trip me up that way.
My point is, it wasn't binary. Park Place is not in J! Archive as the response to any top-row clue. A "whopping" price for a Monopoly property in a $200 clue? It's Boardwalk; don't let "can't remember which"es with regard to other details of the clue get in the way. They're only there to ensure that Park Place is wrong.
Still, if you don't know which of the two is the most expensive piece...
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Still, if you don't know which of the two is the most expensive piece...
Not familiar with McDonald's Monopoly? They didn't just randomly assign Boardwalk as the grand prize rare...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Volante wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote: Still, if you don't know which of the two is the most expensive piece...
Not familiar with McDonald's Monopoly? They didn't just randomly assign Boardwalk as the grand prize rare...
You know how I am with binary choices. I still can't for the life of me remember which Dakota has Mount Rushmore, or whether it's VT or NH that borders NY.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
seaborgium wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
seaborgium wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Couldn't remember whether Park Place or Boardwalk was the last space before Go. That was a bit tough for $200.
A $200 clue asking for an expensive Monopoly property is going to be Boardwalk every time.
Not if you can't remember which of the two is closer to Go (and thus the most expensive). Binary choices ALWAYS trip me up that way.
My point is, it wasn't binary. Park Place is not in J! Archive as the response to any top-row clue. A "whopping" price for a Monopoly property in a $200 clue? It's Boardwalk; don't let "can't remember which"es with regard to other details of the clue get in the way. They're only there to ensure that Park Place is wrong.
Still, if you don't know which of the two is the most expensive piece...
DOESN'T. F.ING. MATTER.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

seaborgium wrote:DOESN'T. F.ING. MATTER.
So then how am I supposed to get the clue anyway, if I just plain don't know which is the most expensive property?
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
So then how am I supposed to get the clue anyway, if I just plain don't know which is the most expensive property?
Paraphrasing Nike: Just Learn It
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

badgerfellow wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Always a difficult task for me.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
How? *Reading* what seaborgium helpfully wrote will go a long way.

He said that the show (as evidenced by the Archive) has asked about Boardwalk in the top row before. Never asked about Park Place in the top row. As sg said, "doesn't f.ing matter". Boardwalk is the one the show asks about so Boardwalk it is.

Some of us are still doing you a favour by trying to help you. Don't drive away the last people who answer your questions by stating you don't read what they say just so you could ask your question again. You won't get anyone to answer your questions then.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

dhkendall wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
How? *Reading* what seaborgium helpfully wrote will go a long way.

He said that the show (as evidenced by the Archive) has asked about Broadway before. Never asked about Park Place. As sg said, "doesn't f.ing matter". Boardwalk is the one the show asks about so Boardwalk it is.
Regardless, it's not unreasonable to think that they have asked about Park Place in the top box. They're both blue squares near the end of the board, and there's very little to differentiate them other than "one of the two is the most expensive". Unless your recall is super duper accurate, it's easy to mix the two up. Just like I mix up every other thing of which there are only two.
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
badgerfellow wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Always a difficult task for me.
As my old football coach would say, "Put up or shut up." As dhkendall has already mentioned, if you're unwilling to train and do the learning WITHOUT making excuses, we will not be able to help you.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

harrumph wrote:
Vowela wrote:
BigDaddyMatty wrote:Count me among those shocked that "Justice For All" and Arafat were TS's.
Can I ask why you felt "justice for all" was so easy, because I'm not seeing it. The only way I can think to work through that clue was to recite the pledge in your head, skip over "to the republic," and land on "justice for all," which appears at the very end. It's not that it's that hard if you had like thirty seconds or so, but it seems difficult to work it all out in the scant few seconds you get for most Jeopardy! question.
Count me as among those who agree with Vowela on this one.
As someone who attended grade school in an era when it was routine to recite the Pledge, there wasn't any need to recite the whole thing in my head to get the last four words. Especially when they give you "liberty" to tee it off.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I think if they had a clue that said "This is Boardwalk's partner in its color group", it would not have been in the top box.

I played the game a good bit as a kid and I knew it was the most expensive property and the last square before you hit Go. Just one of those things you pick up playing the game.
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

davey wrote:I can only speak for myself, but it wasn't hard to skip to the end of the Pledge for the right phrase...
Skipping to the end of the pledge would be easy, except the clue didn't say the phrase was at the end. It just said the phrase came after the word "and." "And" is one of those little words that doesn't stand out much, so I had to think through the pledge to remember where "and" fell, which is easier to do forwards than backwards, while avoiding the "to the republic" trap along the way, which would be easy to do when you've only got a few seconds to spit out an answer.
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

Bamaman wrote:I think if they had a clue that said "This is Boardwalk's partner in its color group", it would not have been in the top box.

I played the game a good bit as a kid and I knew it was the most expensive property and the last square before you hit Go. Just one of those things you pick up playing the game.
Hell, I grew up playing the Irish and then the British versions of Monopoly, and have never played the US version, and even I know it's Boardwalk.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

seaborgium wrote:
The first half of the FJ clue seemed too vague to me, so I tried to answer the latter half, but the only Trojan War daughter I could think of was Electra, whose parents I knew were not Helen and Menelaus. I jumped back to the first half, and Hermione came to mind right away. Maybe I had primed the pump for Greek women's names.
That was almost my precise thought process, except I took a bit longer to think of a Greek-sounding name in a famous literary trio. I got it at the end of Think Music, but would I have time to write it down?
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

xxaaaxx wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:If you don't know the speech...
That's the entire problem right there. File it under "sometimes you just have to know stuff".

Also, second time this season that a Pago (Pago)/(Western) Samoa connection was a TS. Capitals, folks.
I've learned cold the capitals of countries, US states and Canadian provinces, but that's it. How many territories are there to memorize?

Got American Samoa anyway, forgot about Guam.