Tuesday, December 6, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Re: Tuesday, December 6, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $29,000
44 R/3 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: (Schindler's) Ark (DD), Jean-Paul Sartre, green-eyed monster, whitewash, rock-paper-scissors (DD), Antarctica

Tonight's players apparently did not play the LL Humanities 4 Mini-League. Nice to see good wagering win the day.
MarkBarrett wrote:I spent the 29 seconds after writing Austen trying to see if I could recall all the novels, knowing that often I forget one. Sometimes it's Emma and sometimes it's Northanger Abbey I can't remember. Other times it's Mansfield Park that eludes me. This time I was a blank on getting Persuasion. :roll: P&P and S&S are the only ones I get consistently, but with them there have been times I have the Bennet vs. Dashwood problem.
I remember them by there being two in each of three categories: one-word titles (Emma, Persuasion), two-word place names (Mansfield Park, Northanger Abbey) and "descriptive noun and descriptive noun" (Pride and Prejudice, Sense and Sensibility).

South China Sea might've been difficult at the time of taping, but it's much easier after the hubbub about President-Elect Trump's call with the Taiwanese President. That said, I fell for the North Sea trap.

No use of Roberto Clemente's 3,000 hits in the Sports Round Numbers category? For shame.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

goatman wrote: LT: Sartre > Existential French guy
Well, -old- existential French guy. When I heard the clue, I blurted Camus, THEN I registered the picture, "Oh, dang, no way that's Camus..."

I blew all my literature luck pulling Ark out of the nether realm, saving none for FJ, sheepishly writing down Tolkein. (Can we poll Ark?)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Vowela
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Vowela »

opusthepenguin wrote:I misparsed FJ and thought we were looking for an author who came out with 6 new novels every year. I guessed Agatha Christie.
Another for Agatha Christie. I misread the quote as meaning someone who had far, far more than six novels.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Bamaman wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:WLT pitcher at $200? That whole category seemed YEKIOYD.
I agree you have to know who these people are. I had heard of him, but even if I hadn't, I would have gotten it from knowing that 300 wins is a big number for pitchers (automatic Hall of Fame induction is you don't use steroids) along with the fact no other position is awarded a win in baseball.
That and his nickname was "Lefty." Basically if your nickname is Lefty in baseball you're a pitcher.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

I will be checking the box in the weekly poll stating that I shouted "ark" at the set at least four times during the DD.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

37/56 right.

Sports (4), Nuts (4), Books (5), "ORE" (5), Structure (1), America (3)
Africa (2), Color (2), Scientists (1), Make (3), Claim (4), "U" (3)

Lach Trash: Jean-Paul Sartre, South China Sea; DD: Schindler's Ark

I settled on Dickens, but once I saw Austen I figured it was right.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

I could have gotten "Providence, Rhode Island" solely off the clue "WPRI," but then, I'm a weirdo with a collection of TV Guide local editions. (It's somewhat harder if they only give the channel number.)
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

So FJ was an instaget for me - but ark eluded me. Derp. The vagaries of getting old, I guess. :shock:
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

These were really good boards for me. I missed one question in J and another 4 in DJ (mostly in the Watching "U" cat). For the second day in a row, I pulled the FJ answer out of my nether regions. At least I got this one only halfway through Think Music.
Kren9
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by Kren9 »

This has not much to do with the actually game but does anyone remember which Deadwood character Alison had a distant relation to? It's been bothering me lol
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I expected this FJ to poll better than early evidence would seem to suggest it will. I thought of Jane Austen right away and she seemed to check all the boxes.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

opusthepenguin wrote:Rough night for Alison and she STILL could've pulled out the win against most second place contestants. Unfortunately for her, Tim's one of the few who knew how not to throw the game away.
Amen. Tim is a likeable contestant in several ways, but he went way up in my estimation for what he DIDN'T do in this game, the dumb, all-in-from-behind FJ wager. That is so refreshing and I offer my heartfelt congrats to the champ on a very nice 3-game streak.

I had zero idea what Brit author might have penned exactly six novels (I did know it wasn't the Bard :shock: ) I also guessed Dickens although I guessed he probably wrote more, just because Brit Lit is not a strong area for me. Oh well.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Lach Trash: Sartre, green-eyed monster, whitewash, Lord Kelvin, Antarctica. That was good for $8,200 but couldn't pull out the win from the fourth podium because, well, duh, had no clue on Austen.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

John Boy wrote:I also guessed Dickens although I guessed he probably wrote more, just because Brit Lit is not a strong area for me. Oh well.
Out of curiosity, how many Dickens novels can you name? Even if it's not your strong suit, I bet you can name at least five.

Here's my list, starting with the most obvious:
Spoiler
A Tale of Two Cities
Hard Times
Great Expectations
David Copperfield
Oliver Twist
A Christmas Carol (if we're counting novellas)
Bleak House
The Pickwick Papers
The Old Curiosity Shop
The Mystery of Edwin Drood

Looking it up, I see that I missed a few that might have come to me with a little more thought: Nicholas Nickelby, Martin Chuzzlewit, Little Dorrit, Barnaby Rudge. Then there's Our Mutual Friend and Dombey and Son. I recognize the names but doubt they would have come to me.
davey

Post by davey »

opusthepenguin wrote:
John Boy wrote:I also guessed Dickens although I guessed he probably wrote more, just because Brit Lit is not a strong area for me. Oh well.
Out of curiosity, how many Dickens novels can you name? Even if it's not your strong suit, I bet you can name at least five.

Spoiler
A Tale of Two Cities
Hard Times
Great Expectations
David Copperfield
Oliver Twist
Bleak House
The Pickwick Papers
The Old Curiosity Shop

Looking it up, I see that I missed a few that might have come to me with a little more thought: Nicholas Nickelby, Martin Chuzzlewit, Little Dorrit, Barnaby Rudge. Then there's Our Mutual Friend and Dombey and Son. I recognize the names but doubt they would have come to me.
If one blanked completely on Austen, George Eliot (7 novels) would have been a plausible second choice.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

opusthepenguin wrote:

Spoiler
A Tale of Two Cities
Hard Times
Great Expectations
David Copperfield
Oliver Twist
Bleak House
The Pickwick Papers
The Old Curiosity Shop

Before looking at your list, I have:
Spoiler
A Tale of Two Cities
Great Expectations
Oliver Twist
The Pickwick Papers
Nicholas Nickleby
David Copperfield
The Old Curiosity Shop
A Christmas Carol? (not sure it's a novel)
Volante

Post by Volante »

Kren9 wrote:This has not much to do with the actually game but does anyone remember which Deadwood character Alison had a distant relation to? It's been bothering me lol
Swearengen.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Volante

Post by Volante »

My Entry to the Penguin Challenge
Spoiler
pickwick papers
dombey & son
bleak house
christmas carol
cricket on the hearth
nicholas nickleby
martin chuzzlewit
the old curiosity shop
little dorrit
david copperfield
great expectations
oliver twist
tale of two cities
hard times
our mutual friend
mystery of edwin drood
Read zero, seen five.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I had Thomas Hardy for FJ.

I did like the champ's bet. Of course, Alex did not congratulate him on a savvy wager, but rather made it sound like he made a random bet that just happened to lock out third place.
rpg
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by rpg »

I'll throw in a different FJ guess of Tolkien, which I suspected was wrong. Turned out to be a terrible guess since he's written a ton of books I've never heard of (was thinking the Silmarillion, Hobbit, and LotR), but I tried picking someone famous whom people would be passionate about.

Coryat was 17,600, which objectively isn't very good, but which I'm satisfied with since I was averaging around 13,500 a few weeks ago. I've been spending a lot of time working on trivia in the last month and a half or so, with a target of improving my Coryat roughly 2k a month. We'll see how long I can keep that up, if at all...

Whiffed the "U" category and the sports one too. The sports category seemed tricky to me since those players generally weren't people who had shown up on J! much in the past. How were people answering them -- knowledge of the players, or some TOMs I didn't pick up on?