Contestant Auditions

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Contestant Auditions

Post by John Boy »

It's now been two months since TPTB gave us the online contestant quiz (but did not ask us to choose audition cities).

Has anyone heard anything about auditions? Do we have any idea when/where they will be? I can guess they won't ask California residents to travel to an audition in Boston, but any idea how they will select our cities for us?

Inquiring minds want to know.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Re: Contestant Auditions

Post by triviawayne »

While nobody actually knows, I think it's safe to figure they are doing it like Wheel of Fortune, except you take an online test first.

We all had to enter our home zip codes when we signed up. Jeopardy will use that information to determine which television market you are in. While I live in the Lehigh Valley, I will be lumped in with the Philadelphia market (this is important later).

When Jeopardy comes around to your television market, they will random draw however many people from that television market they expect to be able to audition and send out a round of emails. There will be many who can't make it or don't reply, so a second round of emails will go out to another random bunch from that same television market, and so on until they have their slots filled.

When Wheel came to New York about ten years ago, they knew they would not be going to Philadelphia, so they used an entire day for people drawn from the Philadelphia TV market because they figured that would be close enough for many people to make the trip. I would expect Jeopardy to do the same as I believe they haven't been to Philadelphia in 20 years.

At this point, I’m not sure we know if they will do more than one round of tests per year, although I remember some evidence coming out that they will do two tests per year. The problem is, we don’t know if everyone’s passing score gets thrown out with each six month testing period, or for how long our passing scores keep us on the list. We haven’t heard anything about auditions anywhere in the two months since the test.

We also have nothing concrete on what is passing—the old standard of 35 that we know and love, or possibly a top percentile of test scores so they can account for “easy” vs. “hard” tests. With as much stand and stares as we’ve seen this season, I’m inclined to believe the old standard of 35 is being used.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

triviawayne wrote: At this point, I’m not sure we know if they will do more than one round of tests per year, although I remember some evidence coming out that they will do two tests per year. The problem is, we don’t know if everyone’s passing score gets thrown out with each six month testing period, or for how long our passing scores keep us on the list. We haven’t heard anything about auditions anywhere in the two months since the test.
I seem to recall the test FAQs saying that a passing score would be kept on file for a year.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
raccoonleaf
Contributor

Post by raccoonleaf »

Last week, there were some rumblings on social media about a Phoenix audition in January.
kristinsausville
2015 TOC'er

Post by kristinsausville »

triviawayne wrote:I would expect Jeopardy to do the same as I believe they haven't been to Philadelphia in 20 years.
Minor quibble -- they were in Philadelphia in 2014.
Follow me on Twitter: @ksausville
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

kristinsausville wrote:
triviawayne wrote:I would expect Jeopardy to do the same as I believe they haven't been to Philadelphia in 20 years.
For auditions? I know there was a clue crew category in Philadelphia with no auditions done. How did I miss this if it was auditions?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

triviawayne wrote:
kristinsausville wrote:
For auditions? I know there was a clue crew category in Philadelphia with no auditions done. How did I miss this if it was auditions?
Page 20 BoK and page 21 jan: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1767&hilit=philly+a ... &start=380
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

MarkBarrett wrote:
triviawayne wrote:
kristinsausville wrote:
Page 20 BoK and page 21 jan: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1767&hilit=philly+a ... &start=380
Yes, I also auditioned in Philly in October 2014, and they had one the day before in either Scranton or the Poconos, I forget which.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

This seems like a good method, especially if their sister show is using it. I'm just a little concerned about people like me without a ZIP code or a US TV market. (I suppose they could also ask what TV station you watch on, if you haven't set it on your J! profile.). As someone anxiously awaiting the next test I hope that I get considered as well as someone who lives next door to the tv station.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
BobF

Post by BobF »

dhkendall wrote:This seems like a good method, especially if their sister show is using it. I'm just a little concerned about people like me without a ZIP code or a US TV market. (I suppose they could also ask what TV station you watch on, if you haven't set it on your J! profile.). As someone anxiously awaiting the next test I hope that I get considered as well as someone who lives next door to the tv station.
That would probably violate most US zoning laws. :-)
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

OntarioQuizzer wrote:
triviawayne wrote: At this point, I’m not sure we know if they will do more than one round of tests per year, although I remember some evidence coming out that they will do two tests per year. The problem is, we don’t know if everyone’s passing score gets thrown out with each six month testing period, or for how long our passing scores keep us on the list. We haven’t heard anything about auditions anywhere in the two months since the test.
I seem to recall the test FAQs saying that a passing score would be kept on file for a year.
Something on JBuzz regarding this suggested they are trying to increase their access to competitive contestants and give candidates more opportunities to try out so twice a year will be offered and no more penalties for prior exam within past year, just keep taking them until your # comes up! :D
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

dhkendall wrote:This seems like a good method, especially if their sister show is using it. I'm just a little concerned about people like me without a ZIP code or a US TV market. (I suppose they could also ask what TV station you watch on, if you haven't set it on your J! profile.). As someone anxiously awaiting the next test I hope that I get considered as well as someone who lives next door to the tv station.
With all the trouble they went through to allow canadians to test, I'm sure they have a plan.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

BobF wrote:
dhkendall wrote:As someone anxiously awaiting the next test I hope that I get considered as well as someone who lives next door to the tv station.
That would probably violate most US zoning laws. :-)
Living next to a TV station would be okay (unless the news helicopter landing pad is on top of the building or something like that) -- it's living next to the transmitter that might be more of a problem.
Jeffreygallup
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Jeffreygallup »

raccoonleaf wrote:Last week, there were some rumblings on social media about a Phoenix audition in January.
I have been invited to a January 19, 2017 audition in Phoenix. I believe I passed the 2013, 2014, and 2015 online tests, but was not called for an in-person audition. Anyone else going to Phoenix?
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Jeffreygallup wrote:
raccoonleaf wrote:Last week, there were some rumblings on social media about a Phoenix audition in January.
I have been invited to a January 19, 2017 audition in Phoenix. I believe I passed the 2013, 2014, and 2015 online tests, but was not called for an in-person audition. Anyone else going to Phoenix?
I would love to. You can even play golf in Phoenix in January, unlike Cleveland, where we are currently expecting the first BIG ONE of the season. Winter golf and taking the J! exam would be an absolutely perfect twofer. Now if TPTB just see fit to invite me.....

Congrats on your selection. Keep us posted.