Wednesday, December 7, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: Wednesday, December 7, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Volante »

Guh. I was too clever for my own good. "Oklahoma!" Not realizing that '2' hinted at two that would've come in close together... :roll:
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Jurimetrician
Contributor

Post by Jurimetrician »

mfc248 wrote:
That is indeed Tim's card. I was surprised by that part of the anecdote initially. I thought he was referring to a Magic card used in regular game play, which is an honor usually reserved to M:TG World Champions (for example, Shadowmage Infiltrator and Voidmage Prodigy).
There are way more Pro Player Cards than Invitational Champions' cards, especially American Invitational Champions' cards. (Kai Budde, depicted on Voidmage Prodigy, is German, for instance.) It was definitely a lower-tier anecdote for Mr. Aten, as usual for a three-time champ.

Also, I hope I'm misunderstanding -- since when is winning Game #4 in a runaway/lock "less than stellar"?
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

It looks like my loyalty is going to be even more divided whenever the next TOC happens. It looks like there are going to be at least three people with ties to the Buckeye State.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I outsmarted myself, too. My gut reaction was Arizona but for some reason changed it to Oklahoma. For some reason I was thinking OK and NM went in close together and AZ went in before them. I certainly wasn't expecting two of the contestants to say Hawaii!
stephanie
Valued Contributor

Post by stephanie »

I feel like a nerd. I actually own Tim's MTG player's card. :)
Not Jeopardy! material :(
chmmr
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by chmmr »

Got AZ on a guess. Also got taken by "The Road Not Taken."
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Too. Much. Lach. Trash. Must. Not. Make . Subaru. Analogy.

Got NM, but my thought for the other was OK. 50/50 which I would have written down.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Here I thought the clue for the "What's a Grecian urn?" one would be "780 Euros a month".

*rimshot*
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

grindcore wrote:
Agree that Ft. Lauderdale was far from obvious.

Knew FJ! was somewhere out west but I knew it wasn't that far west. Wrong is wrong though, I said Wyoming....
Yes, the FL clue wasn't that clear, but I got it from having been on the Intercoastal Waterway in Fort Lauderdale.

Oh, grindcore, you were far enough west, just a little too far north.
OCSam
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $36,800
48 R/3 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Southern Christian Leadership Conference, whether, Erie Canal, Incheon, whereas, Ohio River, red-letter day, Hall of Mirrors, ARPANET, Holy of Holies (DD)

Rough game with a bunch of head-scratcher TS's, but Tim just keeps chugging along.

Interesting FJ! trend: the overall get percentage for regular-play games this season is 49.0%, right in line with historical rates. However, contestants in second place going into FJ! are really struggling, getting the correct response only 39.6% of the time.
Sprinkles are for winners.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

dhkendall wrote:Here I thought the clue for the "What's a Grecian urn?" one would be "780 Euros a month".

*rimshot*
Not with Greece's economy the way it is.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I knew AZ and NM were the 47th and 48th and both came in the same year, so FJ was pretty easy for me.

On the Money DD, I would not only have bet it all, I would have taken money out of my wallet and thrown it in the pot. What a simple category. Since we had Lincoln in another clue, I'm guessing the J6 clue was all about the Benjamins?

Even if you don't know what Operation Overlord was, the year 1944 should lead you to D-Day.

The station here in Atlanta pre-empted the show for a preview of Hairspray. I was actually considering watching it, but not after it bumped Jeopardy for a 30 minute commercial. Thanks to the kindly soul who helped me out on this one.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Bamaman wrote:Even if you don't know what Operation Overlord was, the year 1944 should lead you to D-Day.
This.

Even though I have no recollection of ever having heard the term "Operation Overlord", 'June' was out of my mouth before Alex started to read the clue.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Elijah Baley
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Elijah Baley »

I'd love to hear the explanation for why those two both came up with Hawaii. Both misunderstood it??

Because that was a high school level FJ - if not Kids' Week.

And as others noted, a lot of other easy clues with everyone just standing there with their hands in their pockets. Name a waterway that traverses upstate New York??
John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by John Boy »

To me the performance of the two contestants was just sad. At least Tim managed a decent score, but even he contributed to a LOT of TSs.

My LT: Operation Overlord (really, people?); Ft. Lauderdale, Southern Christian Leadership Conference, whether/weather; Erie Canal, Inchon, Ohio River; Red Letter Day; Hall of Mirrors, chromium, John Huston. $10,000 worth. Nice, attractive, animated contestants, but oh my, that was a lot of material to be missed by three people who were knowledgeable enough to pass the quiz.

Also surprised to see Holy of Holies missed. sigh....

This FJ, to me, was exactly what FJ should be. Not a softball, not one that makes you go through a list of 50 states or 45 presidents, but one where you have to put together several pieces of gettable information: when was Wilson president? why would states be casting their first-ever votes? what states were admitted to the Union just before Wilson. I imagine a lot of people can't do that in 30 seconds but then they may be smart but not Jeopardy!-smart.

I was shocked to see two contestants guess Hawaii. did they not know when Wilson was president, or not have any idea when Hawaii became a state?! Only a difference of about 40 years. Hmmmmmmmm.

Congrats to the champ.
lbligh
Valued Contributor

Post by lbligh »

We were surprised that the contestant who said DARPANET was negged. A quick Google seems to confirm that it is often interchangeable with ARPANET.
Auditioned most recently via Zoom, June 2023
Strengths: Literature, History, Classical Music
Insurmountable weaknesses: Sports, Pop Music, Anagrams

"It's easy if you know it, it's hard if you don't."
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

lbligh wrote:We were surprised that the contestant who said DARPANET was negged. A quick Google seems to confirm that it is often interchangeable with ARPANET.
At the time of its use (1967-83) it was known exclusively as the ARPANet. I'm not surprised that DARPANet was negged (maybe he's a Francophoneand said d'ARPANet?)
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

seaborgium wrote:
dhkendall wrote:Here I thought the clue for the "What's a Grecian urn?" one would be "780 Euros a month".

*rimshot*
Ah, looks like the website I got the info from was from 2007, before the global recession, but even then it was talking about Greece's high unemployment and low wages compared to the rest of the EU.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
macrae1234
Valued Contributor

Post by macrae1234 »

dhkendall wrote:
seaborgium wrote:

*rimshot*
Ah, looks like the website I got the info from was from 2007, before the global recession, but even then it was talking about Greece's high unemployment and low wages compared to the rest of the EU.
Maybe should have been in the homophones category
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Instaget FJ gave both AZ/NM & 44R. LT: TNTC. Offered 'defenestration' which I expect to be acc! Ran cats in $ & Elementz. Got "Hall of Mirrors" the wife was all "Wow!"

It's not unreasonable to give 'Miami' looking briefly at the map shown if you're less familiar with the region, NHO Grand Tour and are not from Florida... be kind!

That said, it's silly to offer HI (#50), which came in 1949, unless you NHO Thomas Woodrow Wilson, who died in 1924... :o :shock:
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!