Friday, December 16, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, December 16, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7425, 2016-12-16

CONTESTANTS
Michael Rollins, a corporate controller from Frisco, Texas
Erin Williams, an attorney from St. Louis, Missouri
Cindy Stowell, a science content developer from Austin, Texas (whose 3-day cash winnings total $39,600)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thanks, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Both Tim Aten, last week, and our current champion, Cindy, this week, won a couple of games in which they seemed to surprise themselves. You know, luck does play a part in winning on Jeopardy! It might affect Erin or Michael, our newcomers. It might affect Cindy again. Let's find out in this half hour. Here we go.

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
OPPOSITES (5/5) (Alex: Sounds straightforward.)
SONGS ON TV (5/5)
UNUSUAL ATTRACTIONS (4/5)
DECEMBER HOLIDAYS (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
GASOLINE (5/5)
FILL "E_R" UP (4/5) (Alex: Each correct response will begin with an "E", and end with letter "R".)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Cindy!: 10 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Erin: 10 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Michael: 6 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,000

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Cindy!: $2,200
Erin: $2,200
Michael: $1,400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Michael Rollins is from frisco, Texas. Michael, in this modern day of technology, binge watching has become very popular. You did that with regard to a show that is close to my heart.

Michael: That's right. I had about 75 episodes of Jeopardy! on the DVR because I was really busy for a few months, so I just took a weekend where I didn't have anything to do and vegged out on the couch and watched 50 episodes in two days.

Alex: Well, let me make a suggestion. Next time you do that kind of thing, have a few drinks to go along.

Alex: Erin Williams is an attorney from St. Louis, Missouri.

Erin: Yes.

Alex: You visited Santorini.

Erin: I did.

Alex: I just mentioned to Michael that "have a few drinks". You had a few drinks on Santorini.

Erin: Yes, I like to drink, and I had quite a few. I did a wine tour on Santorini, which was incredible. We tried all sorts of local Greek wine, but particularly the vin santo, which started there. And the wine tour ended with a cooking class, where we cooked everything, and then the chef made us better versions of what we cooked to actually eat for dinner.

Alex: [Laughs] Yeah. That sounds like a perfect day on Santorini.

Erin: It was unbelievable.

Alex: Okay, good for you.

Alex: Cindy Stowell is our champion. She looks very delicate, very frail. Not a real tough athlete. And, yet, you played rugby in college?

Cindy: Yeah, I did. I wasn't very good at it, though.

Alex: Oh.

[Laughter]

Cindy: I didn't kind of master the art of tackling, so I switched to playing ultimate Frisbee, which, in theory, is non-contact, and that went a lot better.

Alex: Okay, I'm glad to hear that you did switch.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Erin found the Daily Double on the 19th clue. Cindy! had $3,600, Erin had $3,200, and Michael was at $1,400. Erin wagered $1,200.

DECEMBER HOLIDAYS $600: It was the decade when Maulana Karenga (born Ron Everett) created Kwanzaa
(Alex: You're close to the lead, Erin.)
(Erin: I'll bet $1,200.)
(Alex: $1,200 it is. Here is the clue for you in December holidays...)
(Erin: What is the 1930s?)
(Alex: Oh, no. Much later than that--[*]. So you're at an even $2,000, still in second place.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
FILL "E_R" UP $1000: To imbue with authority

DECEMBER HOLIDAYS $400: Hanukkah story hero Judah was known by this name that's an acronym of the Hebrew for "Who is like you, O God?"

UNUSUAL ATTRACTIONS $600: Encinitas, Calif. has a tennis museum dedicated to this champ who lost a challenge match to Billie Jean King in 1973
(Alex: His name--you're too young to have seen it--[*]. Erin, back to you.)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Cindy!: $5,400
Michael: $4,400
Erin: $3,400
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, December 16, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
COUNTRIES' CURRENCIES (5/5)
TRUST THE SCIENCE (4/5) (Alex: We want you to...)
WESTERN MOVIES (3/5)
THE ABOLITIONIST MOVEMENT (4/5)
NUMERIC WORDS & PHRASES (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double) (Alex: In [*], each correct response will begin with a spelled number.)
WOMEN WHO WRITE (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Michael: 8 R, 0 W
Cindy!: 8 R, 0 W
Erin: 6 R, 2 W (including 2 DDs)

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 6
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $8,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Erin snagged the next Daily Double on the 12th clue. Cindy! had $9,800, Erin had $5,800, and Michael was at $7,600. Erin wagered $3,000.

WOMEN WHO WRITE $1200: In 1964 this woman big into laissez-faire capitalism offered "The Virtue of Selfishness"
(Erin: Who is Gloria Steinem?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Erin who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 23rd clue. Cindy! had $10,600, Erin had $6,800, and Michael was at $10,000. Erin wagered $3,000.

NUMERIC WORDS & PHRASES $1200: The Lakers won championships in 1987 & '88, so before the next season, Pat Riley trademarked this
(Alex: You trail by a substantial amount.)
(Erin: I'll wager $3,000.)
(Alex: Okay, that will put you very close to the lead. Here is the clue...)
(Alex: Erin?)
(Erin: What is... Lakers '89?)
(Alex: No. He trademarked a [*]. Pick again.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
TRUST THE SCIENCE $1200: The amosite type of this fibrous material can resist temperatures up to 1,000 degrees
(Alex: That would be [*]. That's why they use it.)

WOMEN WHO WRITE $2000: This woman who's part Chippewa has written "Love Medicine", "The Plague of Doves" & "The Round House"

WESTERN MOVIES $1200: This hard-drinking friend of Wild Bill Hickok has been played on film by Jean Arthur, Yvonne de Carlo & Doris Day

WESTERN MOVIES $2000: Audie Murphy played Tom Destry in 1954's "Destry"; oddly, this film with Jimmy Stewart in the role came 15 years earlier
(Alex: Oddly because it was titled [*].)

NUMERIC WORDS & PHRASES $400: Hyphenated term for a contest that's really no contest
(Alex: Because it's [*]?)

THE ABOLITIONIST MOVEMENT $2000: This 3-named abolitionist crusader published a Boston newspaper called The Liberator

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Cindy!: $15,400
Michael: $11,200
Erin: $5,400

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WESTERN HEMISPHERE GEOGRAPHY

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Two-thirds for first place.
Cindy!: Wager $7,001 to cover Michael.
Michael: You'll want to wager between $0 (venusian) and $399 (martian), and you'll win the game if Cindy! wagers enough and gets it wrong.
Erin: To win, you must get Final right and count on a wagering mistake on Michael's part. Wager all $5,400.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The 2 Central American nations that border only one ocean

FINAL SCORES
Erin: $5,400 + $5,400 = $10,800 (What are Belize and Honduras El Salvador) (3rd place)
Michael: $11,200 + $8,800 = $20,000 (What are Belize + El Salvador?) (2nd place)
Cindy!: $15,400 + $7,001 = $22,401 (What are El Salvador and Belize?) (39601-day champion: $22,401)
(Alex: A lot of writing.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $10,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Cindy!: $15,400, 18 R, 0 W
Erin: $12,600, 16 R, 4 W (including 3 DDs)
Michael: $11,200, 14 R, 1 W
Combined Coryat: $39,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Cindy!: 19/58 = .328
Erin: 17/61 = .279
Michael: 15/58 = .259
Team: 51/63 = .810

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
SONGS ON TV $800: As its theme song "The Wonder Years" used the powerful cover of "With A Little Help From My Friends" by this English singer
Alex (in accent) [*]. Yes.

FILL "E_R" UP $800: It's the mighty machine seen doing its work here
(Cindy: What is an [*]?)
(Alex: No. Well, we'll accept that. It's an [*] also. Go again.)

OPPOSITES $200: They're the opposite types of theater represented here
(Michael: What are comedy and drama?)
(Alex: Yep. No, we won't accept that. Sorry.)

OPPOSITES $600: When ordering blinds for your home, you often have a choice between these 2 opposites

UNUSUAL ATTRACTIONS $200: Depopulated in the early 20th century, Goldfield, Arizona is a tourist attraction as one of these
(Alex: Right. You're tied for the lead again.)

UNUSUAL ATTRACTIONS $800: Hawaii's version of Old Faithful, the "Halona" this cetacean feature is the result of a narrow lava tube exiting straight up
(Erin: What is a geyser?)

UNUSUAL ATTRACTIONS $1000: Not a druid in sight at the alliance, Nebraska attraction known as this

COUNTRIES' CURRENCIES $400: Let's be honest--Switzerland and Liechtenstein are the only 2 countries in Europe that still use this monetary unit
(Alex: The [*]. That's why we're honest. We're [*].)

COUNTRIES' CURRENCIES $800: 40 years after his death, he still appears on some of China's paper money

TRUST THE SCIENCE $1600: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew shows an animation on the monitor.) Fluids vary in the degree of friction between their molecules, leading them to also vary in their degree of resistance to flow--this 9-letter word

WESTERN MOVIES $1600: It's the classic film in which Alan Ladd rides off as Brandon de Wilde yells for him to "come back"
(Alex: Come back, [*]. Mom really likes you.)

NUMERIC WORDS & PHRASES $1600: A rare, lucky specimen of genus trifolium
(Alex: That's it, with less than a minute now.)

THE ABOLITIONIST MOVEMENT $400: Willing to use violence for the abolitionist cause, he went to the gallows on December 2, 1859

CORRECT RESPONSES
the 1960s
to empower
Judah Maccabee (Makabi)
Bobby Riggs
Ayn Rand
three-peat
asbestos
Louise Erdrich
Calamity Jane
Destry Rides Again
one-sided
William Lloyd Garrison
Belize and El Salvador
Joe Cocker
earthmover (excavator accepted)
comedy and tragedy
horizontal and vertical
ghost town
a blowhole
Carhenge
the franc
Mao (Zedong)
viscosity
Shane
four-leaf clover
John Brown
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WESTERN HEMISPHERE GEOGRAPHY

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The 2 Central American nations that border only one ocean

Cindy Stowell: 15400+7001=$22,401 (4x = $62,001)
Erin Williams: 5400+5400=10800
Michael Rollins: 11200+8800=20000

Correct response:
Spoiler
Belize & El Salvador

Daily Doubles
Erin: 3200-1200
Erin: 5800-3000
Erin: 6800-3000

Coryats
Cindy: 15400
Erin: 12600
Michael: 11200

Combined: 39,200
Last edited by theFJguy on Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

FJ :Knew Belize and guessed Guatemala which was embarrassing because geography is usually one of my strengths (as long as they aren't asking about colonial Africa). I was impressed that all three contestants got it right.
guessonguessonguess
Valued Contributor

Post by guessonguessonguess »

Erin was a very solid contestant who, quite unfortunately, had the worst luck with Daily Doubles that I've seen in a long time. I was hopeful that she'd win if Cindy couldn't build upon her three-peat.

That being said, I am incredibly impressed with what Cindy is doing and think that it's utterly fantastic. Strongly pulling for her to win a fifth in a row on Monday.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

yesterday, MarkBarrett wrote:Yesterday I had a poor performance in the literature aspects of the game while running TALES (and TAILS for the exacta) tonight. Tomorrow my goal is that there is a TV category and I go 5/5 in it.
...well? :lol:

I wonder if they realized that the numbers category went one-two-three-four-five. I would've gotten that DD even w/o realizing it, but it probably would've helped her, unless she just never heard of the term 'threepeat'.

Instagot Belize (duh), took a bit to come up with El Salvador. Mildly surprised (and encouraged) that it was a triple get. I guess I'm the exact opposite of the contestants, terrible with CA geography but actually knowing their capitals, though I did brush up recently which helped here.

What's left to say about Cindy? Just incredible.
grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

Throwback to that category a year or so ago where the responses included the numbers 200, 400, 600, 800, and 1000 in their respective boxes, and that one had a DD in it too.

Psyched FJ was a triple get.

Super super super psyched Cindy has won four games.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Instaget. Triple get and another strong win from Cindy. She looked so sweet tonight, it's heartbreaking to watch. My wife was crying. :(

47R, LT: amosite asbestos (also tremolite FYI); 1964 > Ayn Rand; William Lloyd Garrison (Blurting initially William Randolph Hearst, I MEAN WmLloydGarrison!) >LIberator.
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

I wonder if TPTB will donate an extra $5,000 to the Cancer Research Institute if she stays in a TOC spot on the leaderboard. Unless I'm mistaken, she's the first woman since Kerry Greene to win more than three games. Her performance totally beats out the Julia Collins flu game by a mile.
clprez

Post by clprez »

I wonder if Alex was told about her condition ahead of time. I read somewhere that she got in touch with somebody on Jeopardy's staff and asked if she could move up her taping day, if she qualified, so somebody must have known. The reason I wonder is that I was surprised during the contestant interviews that he called her frail. (He may not have used that exact word, but that was definitely the gist of it.)
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

clprez wrote:I wonder if Alex was told about her condition ahead of time.
He knew. This is the latest story about her, today in the NYT.
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/16/us/ci ... death.html
guessonguessonguess
Valued Contributor

Post by guessonguessonguess »

clprez wrote:I wonder if Alex was told about her condition ahead of time. I read somewhere that she got in touch with somebody on Jeopardy's staff and asked if she could move up her taping day, if she qualified, so somebody must have known. The reason I wonder is that I was surprised during the contestant interviews that he called her frail. (He may not have used that exact word, but that was definitely the gist of it.)
He did use that precise word, which I thought was in poor taste regardless of whether or not he knew of her condition (more since he did, of course).
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

That 'earthmover' clue was bogus. Either the writers chose poor information to find a video of an earthmover or that was just out & out negbait. Thank God Cindy was smart enough to come up with a response that fit and could be accepted.

Where I come from, this is an earthmover:

This is a bulldozer:

morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Went with Guatemala and Belize. Ack! and I was so sure of myself! And I've been to both! (sidebar: Guatemala's lake Atitlan is absolutely stunning but don't bother remembering it because it only shows up once in J Archive.)

Picked up LT: Calamity Jane, William Lloyd Garrison, Ayn Rand (DD) and 1960s(DD), the last one was a lucky guess! No way I was getting 3-peat tonight but now it seems so obvious.

Asbestos wasn't coming so I went for fiberglass.

Cindy seems to be gaining energy and confidence with every game. She really knows her movies, I've noticed.

Watching 50 Jeopardy episodes in one weekend would give me seizures.

"Delicate and frail" - not good, but probably kinder than "wan and pale"? As I write this, the "ghost town" response from Cindy seems eerie in retrospect.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Surprisingly ran TV Themes. No idea how I knew the bottom 3.

Comedy and drama vs. tragedy was blatant negbait. My only miss in the category, too.

Gasoline was entirely over my head except Texaco.

Also ran E_R.

NHO Isabel Allende or True Grit.

One-sided doesn't really strike me as a "contest" term. I can understand the stand and stare.

Central America has screwed me over before, because last time, I thought of everything but the two they needed. This time... um... um... what the HELL is in Central America again? I just drew a total blank and couldn't think of ANY of them. How am I getting even WORSE at this?
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

The fact that Cindy likely qualified for a TOC spot by virtue of this win -- and was cruelly robbed of the chance to play in the tourney -- makes me even more sad than I already was. And again, the circumstances under which she has accomplished all this render her continued achievements truly mind-blowing. This has been the most satisfying week of J! I've ever seen. And I'm hoping Cindy's run isn't over yet.

Regarding the December holidays DD, is the decade when Kwanzaa was established especially well known and worthy of a third box? I guessed 1970s.

I'm embarrassed to have only gotten one of the 2 countries (Belize) on the FJ. For the other one I guessed Costa Rica.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

xxaaaxx wrote:
yesterday, MarkBarrett wrote:Yesterday I had a poor performance in the literature aspects of the game while running TALES (and TAILS for the exacta) tonight. Tomorrow my goal is that there is a TV category and I go 5/5 in it.
...well? :lol:
I recalled my post and was looking for the run, but I could not recall Iggy Pop even though I came across his name with Stooge yesterday. It may have even been J!6 that mentioned it? Flintstones, Journey, Glee, and Cocker were no-doubters.

It's my prerogative to root for or against any player of my choosing. Fine, it's tennis and it was a long time ago, so I was willing to let that one slide when Bobby Riggs was a stumper. What makes it very easy for me to wish a player has one appearance is a story about having to binge watch 50 episodes of J! over a weekend.

I've seen posts here about board members behind on watching and catching up. A trip, sickness, work schedule...I get how those things happen. 10 weeks worth of shows? There is no better preparation for doing well on the show than watching faithfully. It should be a habit and not a chore.

Ouch on Erin going 0-3 on the DDs. I wonder if she had noticed the 1 then 2 pattern of responses from the first two clues that it was likely "three" would be involved in the next one? Even on a get it only gets her a shot at the second place money.

Cindy's performance in the Friday game with all of the other factors in play has me thinking about who a casting director will find to play her in a movie version of this moving and compelling story.

Yes, on the possibility that 4x & $62,001 (or even more) would have been enough for a TOC spot then J! should donate at least quarterfinal money, if not semifinal (or even better more) to the cause.

Well done by the players to go 3/3 on a 2-part geography (outside the U.S.) FJ! clue. Those with the Archive search mastery I suspect would not find a lot of cases of such success.

My miss was Guatemala & Belize in thinking they both border Mexico with Guatemala on the Pacific and Belize on the Atlantic. I knew Costa Rica, Nicaragua, and Panama were out. El Salvador and Honduras were the others I thought about, but did not have enough map sense to know how they fit in the puzzle.

1/5 on the week's FJ! clues makes me think I should stop watching early on the computer at various times using the online uploads and go back to watching at the regular time on my TV each night.
Golf

Post by Golf »

hbomb1947 wrote:This has been the most satisfying week of J! I've ever seen. And I'm hoping Cindy's run isn't over yet.
This. Many times. This.
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

Re: threepeat. Since the clue specified that LA coach Pat Riley copyrighted the term in 1988 after the Lakers had won two straight NBA titles, she might've been thinking of words with "two." That would've been a tough get for any non-sports fan, since that's the only context in which it's used.

Most sports historians actually give Lakers guard Wes Matthews credit for coining 3-peat before the '88 season, but Riley shrewdly copyrighted it.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

Kenny wrote:Re: threepeat. Since the clue specified that LA coach Pat Riley copyrighted the term in 1988 after the Lakers had won two straight NBA titles, she might've been thinking of words with "two." That would've been a tough get for any non-sports fan, since that's the only context in which it's used.

Most sports historians actually give Lakers guard Wes Matthews credit for coining 3-peat before the '88 season, but Riley shrewdly copyrighted it.
Detroiter here. We're familiar with "three-peat" because the Pistons lost to L.A. in 1988 Finals (the Lakers' second straight title) but came back to beat the Lakers in the 1989 Finals. The Pistons won their second straight Finals against Portland in 1990, but were denied a three-peat by Michael Jordan and the Bulls in the 1991 East Finals.