Monday, December 19, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Monday, December 19, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by opusthepenguin »

Wow! This was a TOC level FJ. I expected it to be a triple stumper. They feed you 1970 and Tom Wolfe and expect you to guesss the book and check all the title words against the clue. So, fine, you start with The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test. Nope. Nothing there checks all three boxes. The Right Stuff is way too late and none of the words work anyway. Ditto but double for Bonfire of the Vanities. Those are the three Tom Wolfe books you're supposed to know by title.

So I finally circled back to Radical Chic & Mau-Mauing the Flak Catchers without much hope. Too obscure. Fortunately, the first word worked out.

Tom Wolfe and "radical chic" have been the subject of three previous clues on record. Two of them were DDs. One of those spotted "radical" and wanted "chic," the other one vice versa. Didn't matter which way. The contestant didn't know the phrase. The third time, in May 2015, they gave the whole phrase--"radical chic"--and threw it open to all three contestants. Didn't matter. No one knew.

So the clue writers decided, what the hay, let's make a similar clue about this that's EVEN HARDER than the previous stumpers. And let's make it an FJ. Kudos to Cindy for being the first contestant ever to get a clue about this phrase right.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

MarkBarrett wrote: I really thought for sure Cindy was going to lose as her opponents both saved enough money on their wagers to set up the win from a tough clue.
The correct response came to me almost immediately, and when the camera showed Cindy writing down hers, I could tell by her expression that she most likely had it right.

Kristin wagered to beat Cindy on a TS, but failed to also take Jonathan into the equation.
goatman wrote:NJ Cindy, you played like a real champ, never guessing, no misses,
She was in the red for most of the first round.
Shaymin
Valued Contributor

Post by Shaymin »

I finally got a chance to watch one of Cindy's episodes tonight, having just lost my own uncle to cancer... I have to say, it got a little dusty when Cindy began the comeback and way too dusty when she got FJ.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

OSXpert wrote:I agree that Tony seemed to be having trouble doing the reading, but I like him so I'll give him a pass.
Yeah, I wondered if he was sober or something.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

econgator wrote:I know of exactly 1 Tom Wolfe book, so that was no help.
I'm guessing The Right Stuff. It just seems up your alley.

Second guess: The Kandy-Kolored Tangerine-Flake Streamline Baby. Yeah, maybe not.
mfc248
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mfc248 »

xxxaxxx wrote:Our first female 5-day champ in...a year and a half +? Bittersweet.
Twenty and a half months; grnwaz was the last.
econgator wrote:Is Omaha's paper really a 2nd-row clue (especially when Atlanta is in row 3)?

I know of exactly 1 Tom Wolfe book, so that was no help. I just FF'd through the Think music and -- in the spirit of Yoda's words -- did not.
As do I, and I knew that he didn't write I Am Charlotte Simmons in 1970. Ended up on "omega" with near certainty of its being incorrect. When Cindy's response appeared on the screen I beamed, knowing she had it.

I was surprised to see the newspapers category pass without the inclusion of New Orleans's paper; after the $800, I was expecting it to be the bottom row clue.
goatman wrote:Sadly, I also gave "My Heart Will Go On" for Dion.
"50/50/90, it's 'My Heart Will Go On' or 'The Power of Love'... they can't be going THAT deep in the first round." Indeed, they were.
morbeedo wrote:props to Cindy for coming from behind and crushing the game with a sole get in FJ. but why say "bet all of it" when you could say "let's make it a TDD"?
I take no issue with Cindy's phrasing, as it recalls to me some recent greats of the game eschewing the phrase "true Daily Double." For example, FireAntsDefense: "I'll wager the maximum," and on multiple occasions, omgwheelhouse: "let's bet it all."

When this story first broke, I wrote a comment on TFW's Facebook page: "I can't wait to watch her play our beloved game the same way I'm sure she fought cancer - with fervor and passion, right through to the very end." She has done that, and then some. It's been especially wonderful to see praise like that which teapot37 offered up the thread, and the words of the One True Grand Master himself. Whether this ends tomorrow or she reigns into 2017, Cindy Stowell has earned a special place among even the elite club of five-game champions.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I had a brain lock and could only think "That cliche-riddled, overproduced schlock where she belts so loud you can hear her two states away", but that'd be all of her songs.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Seriously, did that woman from Quebec remake The Power Of Love? Or is whatever that is a different song with the same title?

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
clprez

Post by clprez »

opusthepenguin wrote:
OSXpert wrote:I agree that Tony seemed to be having trouble doing the reading, but I like him so I'll give him a pass.
Yeah, I wondered if he was sober or something.
From what I can gather, he will be in the audience for his show. He won't be singing or even talking during the show. They are even going to have Alec Baldwin impersonate him on stage. I think perhaps at 90 years old, his age is catching up with him.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Excellent job by Cindy! Fine example of using a DD properly, even hunting for a DD early in the DJ round, and a very nice job on a tricky FJ.

I confidently responded with The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test, which was dumb in retrospect. Although it was published in 1968, very close to the 1970 in the clue.

Got LT of Wolf Hall, black holes, Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee, Afghanistan, and Stephen King.

Was absolutely furious with myself for saying Robert Barrett Browning instead of Lord Byron, especially since I have read the poem.

Hope to see Cindy continue to win as many games as possible.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

bpmod wrote:Seriously, did that woman from Quebec remake The Power Of Love? Or is whatever that is a different song with the same title?
There are a number of different songs with the title "The Power of Love." Celine Dion's is a cover of a song that was originally performed by Jennifer Rush. (It's not the same as, to name the one that first comes to my mind, the song "The Power of Love" that was originally performed by Huey Lewis and the News.)
espola

Post by espola »

goatman wrote:NJ Cindy, you played like a real champ, never guessing, no misses, gutsy move on the TDD, sharp get on a toughie FJ. I know you are watching girl! You go!

Only 38R for goats. Gave "Acid test" which is both a Tom Wolfe title and a chemical term. Wolfe's book was about LSD culture... NHO Radical Chic however.

LT: 'black holes' >'gravity'; Stephen King >Mr Mercedes (repeat ask; apparently this is new material going to core J-know; Childe Harold > Lord Byron.
Sadly, I also gave "My Heart Will Go On" for Dion. Bah. :(
Radical Chic was a collection of essays, one of which was titled "Radical Chic" - about a party at Leonard Bernstein's NY apartment to raise money for lefty causes. I think another was "Mau-mauing the Flak Catcher". Tom Wolfe had such a good time with words.

Let me include a caution - I read that book in the 70's. I don't remember many details about the 70s, either because of the passage of time, or else because of, well, the 70's.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Another "acid" guess for FJ. That was tough. Cindy was one smart cookie.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

IronNeck wrote: Was absolutely furious with myself for saying Robert Barrett Browning instead of Lord Byron, especially since I have read the poem.
If Browning had been correct, you still would have been wrong for adding his wife's maiden name.

I got FJ right entirely off "drastic word in politics." I didn't have enough knowledge of Tom Wolfe's body of work to attempt to traipse through the vocabulary of its titles, "chemistry term" was too broad, and "math quantity" was incomprehensible. I was lucky that the final phrase in the clue made me think "radical" right away. I could see Tom Wolfe using it in a title, I'd heard of "free radicals" in a health sense and guessed it could count as a chemistry term, and I'd definitely heard it in a math context (though I still didn't like the use of the word "quantity" to refer to it), so I stuck with it for lack of any other idea.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Today's game is uploading. Give it 1 1/2 to 2 hours:

https://vimeo.com/196383569
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

seaborgium wrote:
IronNeck wrote: Was absolutely furious with myself for saying Robert Barrett Browning instead of Lord Byron, especially since I have read the poem.
If Browning had been correct, you still would have been wrong for adding his wife's maiden name.
Thank you for that! That's a future neg avoided right there.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

This Is Kirk! wrote:Another "acid" guess for FJ. That was tough. Cindy was one smart cookie.
I went with "stuff." If it wasn't for the year, I'd've felt pretty good about it.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

Have to say it: instaget FJ. :mrgreen:

Seriously, Radical Chic is one of Wolfe's most famous essays, and is paired with the just as famous Mau-Mauing the Flak Catchers in the book title, so I'm just surprised that so few people so far got it. It was clear that the contestants were struggling with it though, and kudos to Cindy for the sole solve. Very glad the show was able to get her this chance before it was too late.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

seaborgium wrote:[I got FJ right entirely off "drastic word in politics." I didn't have enough knowledge of Tom Wolfe's body of work to attempt to traipse through the vocabulary of its titles, "chemistry term" was too broad, and "math quantity" was incomprehensible. I was lucky that the final phrase in the clue made me think "radical" right away. I could see Tom Wolfe using it in a title, I'd heard of "free radicals" in a health sense and guessed it could count as a chemistry term, and I'd definitely heard it in a math context (though I still didn't like the use of the word "quantity" to refer to it), so I stuck with it for lack of any other idea.
I'm glad you say that because after I got hung up on acid test, then realized it didn't fit, then stopped guessing because, well, no money at stake from the 4th podium, then I thought "drastic word in politics" might have been enough to get there.
Frankly, I think the second half of the clue was poorly worded. I mean, the word itself isn't drastic - it refers to an extreme action or position. Sometimes in FJ I feel like it's the clunky writing that hangs me up more than anything.
Last edited by morbeedo on Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

mfc248 wrote:
morbeedo wrote:props to Cindy for coming from behind and crushing the game with a sole get in FJ. but why say "bet all of it" when you could say "let's make it a TDD"?
I take no issue with Cindy's phrasing, as it recalls to me some recent greats of the game eschewing the phrase "true Daily Double." For example, FireAntsDefense: "I'll wager the maximum," and on multiple occasions, omgwheelhouse: "let's bet it all."
Yeah, I totally get that. If I ever get on the show, and if I hit a DD, I'll try and come up with something unexpected to say - like maybe "I'll bet the whole hog, Alex."

sidebar: I always wince when someone has little to no money and they want to bet the maximum dollar value on the board so they say TDD and then Alex says that's not a TDD and then it's really awkward for a moment.