Monday, December 19, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

SBurrus
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, December 19, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by SBurrus »

About halfway through the first round, when Cindy was trailing badly, I was thinking "Uh oh...her run must end tonight"...but she really tore it up in DJ, bold true DD and ouila, there she was, in first place going into FJ and recording her fifth win.

When Cindy's first show aired, against Tim Aten, I thought "geez, she seems so tentative", not being familiar with her circumstances, but she has turned out to be a lion in sheep's clothing. It has been a while, maybe since Margaret Miles was on...or during Catherine Hardee's run and her TOC appearance, (Catherine and I are from the same hometown) since I have rooted so hard for a contestant on "Jeopardy".

One note about Monday's show: thanks to the research I did for the TD I hosted this past summer, I was able to get Burkina Faso in Monday night's game.
BobF

Post by BobF »

Bamaman wrote:I wonder why they chose to put her in the second game on the second taping day.
Maybe she knew she wouldn't be up to consecutive days of taping? Just a wild guess, of course.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
worldwidewebster
Valued Contributor

Post by worldwidewebster »

BobF wrote:
Bamaman wrote:I wonder why they chose to put her in the second game on the second taping day.
Maybe she knew she wouldn't be up to consecutive days of taping? Just a wild guess, of course.
When I showed up to be an alternate on Wednesday, I was told that someone had gotten too sick to play on Tuesday and had been bumped to Wednesday. I don't know for certain that it was Cindy, but it seems likely. I'm sure they were trying to get her on as soon as possible.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

Bamaman wrote:
Kenny wrote:
jpr281 wrote: I like Tony, but I wish they had let his "wife" read the clues. It might have saved time for 4 or 5 more clues on DJ.
I have no real opinion on Bennett either way. But I do not like celebrity clue readers who take forever to read the answer. I understand he is 90 years old, but let's not slow down the game just to plug his "birthday" special. I had birthday in quotes because his birthday was in August. I wonder if they would have ditched this category if Bennett had died prior to the show being filmed.

And congrats again to Cindy. This has been an amazing run.
I am with you on the celebrity readers - they're all slow, regardless of age. And, it's often compounded by longer than usual clues. And then, it's often unclear exactly what they are looking for with the word salad they just dropped.

With respect to Bennett, I thought he did just fine with the clues - it was the overly long intro that ended up cutting into their time. Why not just have Alex say, "and Tony Bennett will read his clues in honor of his upcoming 90th birthday" and be done with it??
davey

Post by davey »

OntarioQuizzer wrote:
A Wray wrote:
BigDaddyMatty wrote:It's worth committing to memory that Henry Clay was from Kentucky and Daniel Webster was from New Hampshire.
Originally from New Hampshire, but he was a senator from Massachusetts and that's the state he's most associated with.

Also, "orator" is generally a Pavlov for Webster.
Or Cicero, or William Jennings Bryan, or Patrick Henry, or Frederick Douglass
Or Henry Clay for that matter-
https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserRev ... tucky.html
...and Clay also spoke for the Compromise of 1850 - "New Englanders" was the only part of the clue pointing away from him.

I would have done better on this FJ without the reference to Wolfe, since I spent all my time trying to come up with his titles and Acid Test was the only halfway likely title I remembered - didn't think of Radical Chic even though I've read the essay and know the book title (the second part is the only other essay in the book) and got the previous J! clues on it...
An ever more impressive performance from Cindy! I didn't mind Tony's reading, was just disappointed there was no clue about his appearance in the legendary The Oscar from 1966...
BTW, at this moment he's finishing up the special by singing some of his favorites. So much for time catching up with him...
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

Vowela wrote:I came up with solution. Fit with two parts of the clue, though it was hard to resolve that with being drastic in politics. Probably spent more time than I should have trying to figure out how solution might fit with politics.
My rationale was that any political solution is drastic in the current environment. The non-solution is the norm.
OCSam
rpg
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by rpg »

davey wrote:
OntarioQuizzer wrote: Or Henry Clay for that matter-
...and Clay also spoke for the Compromise of 1850 - "New Englanders" was the only part of the clue pointing away from him.
Webster has been referred to as an orator 22 times, by my count, in the j-archive. Clay, only once, with this clue from 2001 http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1283 IT'S ALL POLITICS $1000: In 1852 this Southern senator & orator became the first American to lie in state in the U.S. Capitol

Of course in real life nobody would blink an eye if you called Clay an orator, but J! has a funny way of cluing these things.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

rpg wrote:
davey wrote:
Webster has been referred to as an orator 22 times, by my count, in the j-archive. Clay, only once, with this clue from 2001 http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1283 IT'S ALL POLITICS $1000: In 1852 this Southern senator & orator became the first American to lie in state in the U.S. Capitol.
Yes, and prior to this clue, Clay had been associated with the word "compromise" 13 times, Webster never. It's easy to see how someone might seize on the wrong TOM in this clue.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

rpg wrote:
davey wrote:
Webster has been referred to as an orator 22 times, by my count, in the j-archive. Clay, only once, with this clue from 2001 http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1283 IT'S ALL POLITICS $1000: In 1852 this Southern senator & orator became the first American to lie in state in the U.S. Capitol

Of course in real life nobody would blink an eye if you called Clay an orator, but J! has a funny way of cluing these things.
I would have said John C. Calhoun for "Southern senator and orator who died in 1852". I don't really consider Kentucky as a southern state, at least not when compared to South Carolina. Those three (Calhoun, Clay and Webster) were the most famous senators of that era, each representing a different region of the country. Yes, Kentucky was a slave state, but it is always thought of as a border state. The clue was a huge negbait for Calhoun, who died in 1850.