Wednesday, December 21, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Wednesday, December 21, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by opusthepenguin »

Today's game should be available in 90 minutes or less:

https://vimeo.com/196673113/
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

dhkendall wrote:Why is Bacchus or Dionysus both accepted? Bacchus was the only one that came to mind for me but I clammed because I was positive he was a Roman god and I couldn't think of his Greek equivalent at the time. With s "Greek god" category, unless I'm wrong about Bacchus' nationality, he shouldn't be accepted.
I'm not sure I understand the decision either. But I seem to recall they've at least been consistent on this point. They always accept Bacchus even when they specify a Greek god.

From the same category, it really sounded as though Jennifer said something like Hephaesius rather than Hephaestus. I was surprised her response was accepted.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Last edited by opusthepenguin on Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

So why was Vulcan negged?
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Bamaman wrote:So why was Vulcan negged?
He's not a Greek god. For some reason they think Bacchus is and, if I'm remembering, always have.
Kenny
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Kenny »

opusthepenguin wrote:
He's not a Greek god. For some reason they think Bacchus is and, if I'm remembering, always have.
This is why my eyes glaze over when the category pertains to Greek or Roman mythology. There seems to be no consistency on right & wrong responses.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

opusthepenguin wrote:
I understand that but it didn't seem to matter elsewhere.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Cindy's fantastic run comes to an end. When I first saw the notice on the Jeopardy website, I figured she would just be a contestant for one episode. I was pleasantly surprised when she won, defeating a super-champion in the process. Obviously, her becoming a 6-day super-champion herself was even more surprising and impressive.

Really hope that Jeopardy donates the minimum Cindy would have made in the ToC, $5,000, to her cancer charity.

And like others, I was surprised they accepted "Bacchus", when the category asked for the Greek god. "Oh, it appears they accept the Roman analogue, too!" Then, just one clue later, they neg "Vulcan" instead of the Greek "Hephaestus". Inconsistent, to say the least.

LT of ragtimin, legerdemain, and Lumiere

Missed yet another FJ, going with Haiti. Again, impressed that all three got it.

The new champion, Sam, put himself at serious risk of losing for the exact same reason Julia did yesterday. Seriously, he gets a literature DD on $800, a category he proved himself to be at least decent with, and only bets $1000?!
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Five clues left uncovered, just like on Monday. But no Tony Bennett category. Huh.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
alan tiger
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by alan tiger »

well done, cindy.
you showed us what it means to be a class act.
r.i.p.
thenextofken

Post by thenextofken »

I found it interesting that Alex said, "What you don't know is" during Cindy's tribute. I'm betting alot more people knew about Cindy's plight than he realized, because the story seemed to be all over the news.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Saddest Jeopardy! ever, but Cindy sure did give it a heck of a run.

For FJ I wrote down Bahamas, but very nearly changed my answer to Jamaica at the last second. Luckily for me I ran out of time!
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

thenextofken wrote:I found it interesting that Alex said, "What you don't know is" during Cindy's tribute. I'm betting alot more people knew about Cindy's plight than he realized, because the story seemed to be all over the news.
It has been, yes - but there are still people commenting on the J! Facebook page today that they didn't know. Was curious, so I took a look.

(And some insensitive genius is suggesting that Jerry Slowik should be offered the TOC place Cindy should have had. Words fail me).

An amazing run by an amazing woman. I did wonder if she was running out of adrenaline today; she seemed quieter and slower on the buzzer, and made a couple of pronunciation slips that cost her money (and possibly the game). But this was her third game in a row on her second filming day, so hardly surprising if she was exhausted.

I feel privileged to have had the opportunity to watch Cindy, and only wish I could have seen her play in full health. Who knows what she could have achieved?
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Bamaman wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
I believe Bacchus is the only one they do this with. As near as I can make out, it's simplistic and incorrect to say that Bacchus is the Roman name for the Greek god Dionysus. Rather, BOTH names are of Greek origin and were used to refer to the same god. The Greek playwright Euripedes, for example, wrote a tragedy called The Bacchae, a title that refers to the female followers of Dionysus. At some point Rome adopted the Greek name Bacchus but not the Greek name Dionysus, thus creating the perception that Bacchus is a Roman name with Latin roots. It isn't. It's as Greek as Dionysus and un-neggable in these circumstances.

This is different from say the purely Greek name Aphrodite corresponding to the purely Latin name Venus.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Goodbye Cindy... you are greatly missed.

When it comes to Greek v Roman godz, the clue suggests which one they want. Aphrodite was Greek goddess, ergo hubby Hephaestus. Venus >> Vulcan.
Dionysus/Bacchus are the only interchangeables, as both names were adopted in both cultures, an exception to the general rule.

Instaget FJ for goats and the wife; "O! O! I know! It's that little bunch of British islands off Florida, whatsitcalled?! Better in the Bahamas!!" LOL

46R; LT: Take the cake; volleyball; (Morgan); Ragtimin'; Biltmore. What a run! God bless you girl! :)
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $36,000
45 R/0 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :(
LT: nickel-and-dimin', ragtimin', legerdemain, take the cake, volleyball, Biltmore

Well done, Cindy. You are the epitome of a superchamp.
This Is Kirk! wrote:For FJ I wrote down Bahamas, but very nearly changed my answer to Jamaica at the last second. Luckily for me I ran out of time!
Precisely the opposite for me. I figured it had to be a current or former Commonwealth country. Jamaica immediately sprang to mind. Right at the end of the Think Music, I thought of The Bahamas. I know that The Bahamas are closer, being right off the coast of Florida, but I didn't have time to change my response. Oh, well. Not the saddest part of my experience watching this episode.
Bamaman wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
The category was Built Like A Greek God.
Sprinkles are for winners.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

33 right.

Santa (4), Women (3), Simon (2), Where (4), Heart (3), Sleeve (3)
French (1), _The_ (2), Book (4), Greek (2), 1895 (3), Del (2)

Lach Trash: ragtimin', take the cake, volleyball, Biltmore Hotel

I said Belize instead.

RIP Cindy and bless you for your courage and charity.
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

THIS ASHEVILLE, NORTH CAROLINA MANSION WAS NEARLY FINISHED AFTER 6 YEARS, SO THE VANDERBILTS MOVED IN
What is a Vanderbilt down by the river?
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
macrae1234
Valued Contributor

Post by macrae1234 »

Combining 2 categories sleeve and French RCMP/GRC. Gendarmerie Royale du Canada,
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Another indication of how close Cindy came to win # 7: on the $1,600 "Built like a Greek god" clue in DJ, Jennifer's pronunciation of "Hephaestus" (which sounded like "Heh-fay-shus?") was accepted by the judges in a very close call that IMO could have gone either way. (Alex's ruling was "Close enough"; I feel she may well have changed the pronunciation to one that doesn't sufficiently match up with the god's name.) If the judges had ruled against Jennifer, Cindy would have had a free shot for a rebound, since Sam had already negged with "Vulcan." It can't be assumed Cindy would have scooped up the rebound, especially since her condition was sadly affecting her pronunciation and her recall. But if she grabbed that $1,600 and if the rest of the DJ round had proceeded the same as it actually did (which of course also cannot be assumed), Cindy would have been in the lead going into a triple-get FJ.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide