Thursday, December 22, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Thursday, December 22, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Bamaman wrote:Also, the maple leaf on the tail was a pretty big hint to Air Canada even if you have never heard of it.
Because all US airlines are called Air America, right? It could have just as easily been Canadian Air, Canadian Airlines, Canada Airlines, Maple Leaf Airlines, or Snerfurgleburgen (why not? Australia's is called Qantas...)
That's fair enough. You do have to have kind of heard of Air Canada, enough so it sounds familiar. Let me help with something I found on the web. Sing this to the tune of O Canada a few times and you'll never forget the name:
  • Air Canada! O take us from the place
    Whose "Patriot Act" our land of birth disgraced.
    The F.B.I. has wiretaps
    From sea to shining sea;
    In airports across the land,
    We stand in line for thee.
    Save us a seat while we're still free!
    Air Canada, we stand in line for thee;
    Air Canada, we stand in line for thee.
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

Bamaman wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote: WLT Ben Affleck or John Grisham at $400?
The Grisham book mentioned was Rouge Lawyer
You're making me see red when you talk like that...

Unless I already have a lock, I'm all in on the state abbreviation DD. Sam sees no value in DDs; somebody will.
Johnblue
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Johnblue »

Mascara DA would probably be better than anything else Grisham has written lately.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Because all US airlines are called Air America, right? It could have just as easily been Canadian Air, Canadian Airlines, Canada Airlines, Maple Leaf Airlines, or Snerfurgleburgen (why not? Australia's is called Qantas...)
Qantas makes sense when you find out it stands for Queensland And Northern Territory Aerial Services
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Golf

Post by Golf »

bomtr wrote:Unless I already have a lock, I'm all in on the state abbreviation DD. Sam sees no value in DDs; somebody will.
Ditto, free money just sitting there for the taking. And the guy wagers basically nothing. Hilarious.

Now that one of the greatest Jeopardy stories ever is sadly over, I can get back to pointing out horrid game play by contestants. Cindy's run didn't deserve to be sullied by anything negative.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Golf wrote:
Now that one of the greatest Jeopardy stories ever is sadly over, I can get back to pointing out horrid game play by contestants. Cindy's run didn't deserve to be sullied by anything negative.
My own sentiments exactly.
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

Am I the only one wishing Alex would truncate the contestant interviews? When Brad was giving the five-minute anecdote about hiding his wife's engagement ring in a box of Cracker Jack, I felt like Holden Caulfield. "We don't want your whole g*****n autobiography!"

Sure enough, 8 total clues went unanswered. There are only a set number of minutes for each game, so time spent hearing about a contestant's stuffed-bird collection is time not spent playing J.

Postal abbreviation category was brutal: knowing the answer then breaking it down to two states all in about 3 seconds. On grapefruit I was trying to come up with which states were PE & EL. On "mime," I got Maine but guessed Minnesota on the other M-state.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

I knew tonight's FJ! from the Larson book referenced above which I heard as an audio book some years back. (To be sure, I checked the book's index and found Baum listed there.)
I also learned that some director named Scorsese bought the film rights and wants to include this DiCaprio fella in the project.
OCSam
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Luckily I assumed Carl Sandburg wouldn't have been old enough and moved on getting Baum maybe halfway through the think music. Turns out Sandburg was born in 1878, so he would have been a teenager during the World's Fair and certainly would have remembered it.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Like TPH I thought Baum was British too (or possibly an East Coaster) and wouldn't have gotten FJ if you gave me all day. Did get it with Alex's comment right after though.
TenPoundHammer wrote: NHO Air Canada either. I don't get why they ask so much about airlines. You're just not gonna know any of that unless you fly all the time.
Or if, like me, you haven't been on a plane in nearly 37 years (although all my air travel to date has been on Air Canada) and know of several airlines (including El Al) because I fricking pay attention to the world around me! (Does no one read my signature?)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
IronNeck wrote:The answer was assaying.
I know, but it said it was one letter off from a word meaning "to try", and I have NHO essay in any other context besides those things you write in school.
Bamaman wrote:Also, the maple leaf on the tail was a pretty big hint to Air Canada even if you have never heard of it.
Because all US airlines are called Air America, right? It could have just as easily been Canadian Air, Canadian Airlines, Canada Airlines, Maple Leaf Airlines, or Snerfurgleburgen (why not? Australia's is called Qantas...)
Wait, how on earth do you know Australia's is called Qantas? You must fly all the time!
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

FJ: assumed since Carl Sandburg wrote the epic multi-volume biography on Lincoln, that qualified him as an "author." Didn't even think of Baum since I thought he was from Kansas.
rpg
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by rpg »

Pleased to figure out FJ maybe halfway through, via white city ==> emerald city ==> Baum after first unsuccessfully trying to think of a time/place appropriate author. Less pleased to have missed the $2000 clue on Alf Landon, since I'm reading a book on Presidential losers, for crying out loud. Naturally, I haven't read his section yet. Time to hit the books...

I loved the state abbreviations category, too bad we didn't get to see the last clue. I love categories like this. The initials to roman numerals to numbers category from the Battle of the Decades is, to me, maybe the single greatest category they've ever written.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $37,000
44 R/0 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :(
LT: enzyme, Alf Landon, Daniel Ortega, Costa Rica, Rhode Island & North Dakota

I spent all of FJ! regretting not knowing who wrote The Devil in the White City. Doh! I wonder how I would've done had I not been familiar with that book title.

The Jim Carrey clue mentioned his role in The Duck Factory. The series lasted only 13 episodes, but it holds a special place in my heart. The little ice skater in this clip (skip to 8:30) eventually grew up and, long story short, agreed to marry me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYMyLh5cMok
Sprinkles are for winners.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

dhkendall wrote: Or if, like me, you haven't been on a plane in nearly 37 years (although all my air travel to date has been on Air Canada) and know of several airlines (including El Al) because I fricking pay attention to the world around me! (Does no one read my signature?)
Or why people feel obligated to reply to those types of posts (not meaning yours specifically).

Chicago ... turn of the century ... Upton Sinclair came to mind. Nah, that doesn't work. Let's look at the picture ... Oh, Baum. Done.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

dhkendall wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
I know, but it said it was one letter off from a word meaning "to try", and I have NHO essay in any other context besides those things you write in school.
Wait, how on earth do you know Australia's is called Qantas? You must fly all the time!
And to Australia, no less!

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

dhkendall wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Or maybe he's seen Rain Man . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmF1Lh4f3OM
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Near-instaget FJ. It was visual- the glassy palace, the date. Book came in 1900, adapted to stage in 1903. I read all 16 of the series ~45 years ago.
Somewhere in one of the books is a picture of the Emerald City that looks exactly like the image shown in clue, just green tinted. Go figure! :P

45R LT: ADH > Alcohol Dehydrogenase >enzyme; Alessa Vikander (!); Pan American Highway; Daniel Ortega; Costa Rica is South of Nicaragua; Ri-ND.
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

hbomb1947 wrote: I also thought the Hawaiian Airlines clue was kind of neg-baity; Pan-Am was well-known for pioneering trans-oceanic routes with innovative (for the time) aircraft that involved many intermediate stops, so Oakland to Honolulu would have totally fit in with that.
I think it was super nega-baity. Copies of Pan Am posters for flights to Hawaii have been around for years. I guess Hawaiian Airlines would seem like a good guess if one had never seen those posters, but I think they were definitely trying to bait people into the wrong answer on that one.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I thought of Pan Am but clammed because we just had the Pan American Highway clue.