past champ question at tryouts

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Re: past champ question at tryouts

Post by Magna »

I can't imagine it would hurt anyone's chances to be recommended by someone. At worst, it might make no difference. At the end of the day, they're looking for contestants, not so much looking to get rid of them.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Rex Kramer wrote:
Austin Powers wrote:The more I think about it, a "black hat" would have real possibilities. What if someone was just the most obnoxious contestant ever, but kept winning, enough to inspire real hate? I bet ratings would rise. For the potential black hat, some suggestions:

1) Obviously Forrest Bounce

2) Announce you are DD hunting. "Let's see if the Daily Double is located at Trees for $600, Alex."

3) When you have a lead, obviously stall.

4) Be obnoxiously sure of answers, by combining the answer into the request for the next question. "Since the answer is Oscar Wilde, could I have Trees for $600, Alex?" This plays into the stalling, too.

5) Provide way too much info. "Since the answer is Oscar Fingal O'Flaherty Wills Wilde, could I have Trees for $600, Alex?"

6) Fist pump

7) Dance around the podium when you get a DD, then fist pump.

8) Make remarks on the other contestants. "I better save Italian cuisine for David, so let's take Trees for $600." (David is a big fellow)

9) Talk with an affected lisp, especially if one of your opponents has one. (This is for TPH)

10) If you have a lock in FJ, don't even bother with the answer - make some obnoxious remark, ie, "Another day, another $30,000."

11) Pretend it is like poker, by wearing shades, a jacket with brand names on it, and announcing "I'm going all in" on Daily Doubles.

12) When you win, "raise the roof."

And so on.
I have never wanted AP on the show more than I do now. :)
Only because *you* don't have to face him (or anyone else) on the field of battle (aka Sony Pictures Studios) :)
Rex Kramer wrote:Two more suggestions:

- Whenever an opponent gives a wrong response, snicker, roll your eyes, or cough into your fist the word "Moron!"

- Whenever an opponent gives a correct response, mutter, "I knew that!" Or even better, whisper some pretentious but irrelevant additional information: "What is a mouse?" <"Mus musculus!"> "Who is Steve Allen?" <"Married to Jayne Meadows!">

Rex
There have been a few contestants that a few viewers have considered "black hats", but weren't universally regarded as such (even the one who pretty much gave a "who cares" response for her sports FJ! got off a lot easier than a "black hatter" would.) Keep in mind, the only contestant that I know of that does fit most of those is Barbara Lowe, and she was hated so much, she's pretty much been "un-personed" from J! canon. :) (This may be due more to her playing under an alias in order to break the appearance rules than her behaviour, the case stands that if she was a perfectly legit contestant that did all the things that caused unprecedented viewer ire (as the legend goes), she probalby would still play in the TOC and her games would be available to be shown as repeats (part of me wishes I was able to see at least one of her games, to "know what all the fuss was about"))
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Hannah S.
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Hannah S. »

This year was my third audition; it was also the first year I knew a past player- my friend did email them after I took the online test with my name. I don't know if it made a difference- I think I was also the most relaxed in my audition this year- but it didn't hurt..
Austin Powers
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Austin Powers »

Rex Kramer wrote:
Austin Powers wrote:The more I think about it, a "black hat" would have real possibilities. What if someone was just the most obnoxious contestant ever, but kept winning, enough to inspire real hate? I bet ratings would rise. For the potential black hat, some suggestions:

1) Obviously Forrest Bounce

2) Announce you are DD hunting. "Let's see if the Daily Double is located at Trees for $600, Alex."

3) When you have a lead, obviously stall.

4) Be obnoxiously sure of answers, by combining the answer into the request for the next question. "Since the answer is Oscar Wilde, could I have Trees for $600, Alex?" This plays into the stalling, too.

5) Provide way too much info. "Since the answer is Oscar Fingal O'Flaherty Wills Wilde, could I have Trees for $600, Alex?"

6) Fist pump

7) Dance around the podium when you get a DD, then fist pump.

8) Make remarks on the other contestants. "I better save Italian cuisine for David, so let's take Trees for $600." (David is a big fellow)

9) Talk with an affected lisp, especially if one of your opponents has one. (This is for TPH)

10) If you have a lock in FJ, don't even bother with the answer - make some obnoxious remark, ie, "Another day, another $30,000."

11) Pretend it is like poker, by wearing shades, a jacket with brand names on it, and announcing "I'm going all in" on Daily Doubles.

And so on.
I have never wanted AP on the show more than I do now. :)

Two more suggestions:

- Whenever an opponent gives a wrong response, snicker, roll your eyes, or cough into your fist the word "Moron!"

- Whenever an opponent gives a correct response, mutter, "I knew that!" Or even better, whisper some pretentious but irrelevant additional information: "What is a mouse?" <"Mus musculus!"> "Who is Steve Allen?" <"Married to Jayne Meadows!">

Rex
Hey if it gets me on I'd do it. I'd insist on a story arc though. I go on a big run and get knocked out by someone super nice and clean cut. But then, a month later, the Quincy Jones "Austin Powers" theme interrupts an episode. "Oh no, it's Austin Powers music!" exclaims Johnny Gilbert. I come out with one of those folding chairs and take out the champ. I take his podium and finish the episode. Also, something about me stealing his woman. This begins another episode arc, as I take the microphone from Alex and announce there is a new king of the ring, or whatever it is they do in WWF. This could go off and on for years.
heisman65
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by heisman65 »

When I was contacted to be on the show and was asked if I knew any former contestants, I told Maggie that I had an exchange of postings with Christine Valada on her blog before my Seattle audition. Maggie then told me that she loves Christine and that I should call her before travelling down to Culver City to pick her brain. Sadly, I was unable to get in touch with Christine before my taping date, but I think this should put to rest any qualms people have about disclosing knowing any former J! champs.

It seems to me that they want you as prepared as possible and that former champions can help facilitate that process.
debramc
Iced Mare Grub

Post by debramc »

heisman65 wrote:When I was contacted to be on the show and was asked if I knew any former contestants, I told Maggie that I had an exchange of postings with Christine Valada on her blog before my Seattle audition. Maggie then told me that she loves Christine and that I should call her before travelling down to Culver City to pick her brain. Sadly, I was unable to get in touch with Christine before my taping date, but I think this should put to rest any qualms people have about disclosing knowing any former J! champs.

It seems to me that they want you as prepared as possible and that former champions can help facilitate that process.
Yeah, it's not a bad thing to know the past champions, they just want to know the lay of the land. There have been multiple times where somebody's 1st chit-chat story is about how their spouse/sibling/child/etc was a contestant x years ago. TPTB seem to like to emphasize that when it happens.
Also, if you know a recent champ who's still TOC-eligible, it's possible you might do well enough to be up against them in the next TOC. So if you actually know this person well, they might want to hold you back until later when you wouldn't be a potential contestant against them. I don't know if they plan ahead that far, though. And most contestants don't make it to the TOC anyway. And I'm betting lots of you TOCers get to know each other before the tournament, right? And there's always the possibility they'll do another UTOC or such someday... Pfft, I can't read their minds.
FistPump
Contributor

Post by FistPump »

At my tryout, I wanted to ask what Terry Linwood was like, as I loved watching him play. But being unfamiliar with the tryout process, I was unsure as to what repercussions it might have, so I (unwisely) kept my trap shut.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

FistPump wrote:At my tryout, I wanted to ask what Terry Linwood was like, as I loved watching him play. But being unfamiliar with the tryout process, I was unsure as to what repercussions it might have, so I (unwisely) kept my trap shut.
We have a regular and popular poster here who defeated Terry. He could answer?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

MarkBarrett wrote:
FistPump wrote:At my tryout, I wanted to ask what Terry Linwood was like, as I loved watching him play. But being unfamiliar with the tryout process, I was unsure as to what repercussions it might have, so I (unwisely) kept my trap shut.
We have a regular and popular poster here who defeated Terry. He could answer?
He'd probably come up with a real cheesy response.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

He's fairly reserved without seeming shy, and very kind. One of my favorite moments outside the studio was a small instance of tenderness from him towards Drew (Dave Belote's autistic son; Terry himself has a much younger autistic son).
MarkBarrett wrote: We have a regular and popular poster here who defeated Terry. He could answer?
Say, where is hackistan?
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

seaborgium wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote: We have a regular and popular poster here who defeated Terry. He could answer?
Say, where is hackistan?
Beat me to it. But it's funnier coming from you.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
TheSpiceWeasel
Contributor

Post by TheSpiceWeasel »

Austin Powers wrote: 6) Fist pump

Didn't these two things happen recently?