Friday, December 30, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

doihavetoreally
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, December 30, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by doihavetoreally »

Slow and study Mukund reminds me of Terry Linwood..If y'all remember him.
I interpreted FJ as title character, so looking for movies with guys' names. Settled on Schindler.

Happy new year all.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

After being convinced for half the Think Music that only scientists get the Nobel, I remembered the other categories halfway through and figured the peace prize winners were more Hollywood-friendly and settled on Mandela (thinking Invictus might've won).

*music ends*

Alex (quoting from memory): "And if you remembered the 1994 ..."
Me: "Yes!" (being one year off with Mandela's award)
Alex: "co-winner..."
Me: "Holy crap, I stumbled into a correct answer!"
Alex: "of the Nobel Prize in Economics"
Me: "Shazbut."

I *really* have to study Oscar winners more. I've determined that's my biggest hole.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

MarkBarrett wrote:It took all of five seconds to find Kate's video on YT:
Spoiler
At least I had company with my misses blurting Mitterand and Double Bubble.

$2K for "Midnight Train to Georgia"? Allrighty then, the writers want a buzzer battle.

Kate had no luck solving the gettable (if one is old enough) Lonesome Dove or Alabama on her DDs when a solve on either one could have changed the wagering scenarios for the FJ! round.

Mukund solved his DD for the Camus work and had enough of a lead to win on the 3x miss.

I went old school in missing the FJ! clue by writing Emile Zola. There was no doubt about the Best Picture portion while the Nobel portion was a wish and a prayer that was not to be.

When Alex gave his hint after time was up I knew the movie was A Beautiful Mind and I had John. I paused the game and it must have been at least 20 seconds before I completed it by coming up with Nash. So, I would have needed to very quickly get to the movie to have any chance to have solved it.

The clue has triple miss written all over it and the first poster here that had it as an instaget and was surprised it was not a triple get is poor at judging expected contestant results.

I'm looking forward to another Mukund time with Alex on Monday as the champ is 2/2 with the clown/kid and high/low voice stories so far.
Well, I'll be the first to say that it should have been a triple get. Besides the fact that the movie is fairly recent, the Nashes died in an auto accident a year ago and it was all over the news. That said, Hawking and Gandhi and Zola would all have been great guesses. Zola was nominated for the Nobel in literature twice!
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Blurted out John Nash about two seconds before the clue reveal. Probably happens once a season when I can pull that off, and it's WONDERFUL. :lol:

Incidentally, A Beautiful Mind ends with the Nobel ceremony, so there's that.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I guess I'll be the only one who said Pierre Curie. He won a Nobel and it is possible they might have made a movie about him (or he and his wife) that won Best Picture. Turns out the movie was Madame Curie, though it did get nominated, it lost to Casablanca. So at least I wasn't too far off base.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Kenny wrote:Seems like FJs are getting to be like NYT crosswords: progressively harder through the week. I knew it was "A Beautiful Mind" and Russell Crowe played him, but no way in Hades would I come up with John Nash. That one should poll lower than Namibia.
I'll be interested because I got tonight's and missed last night's despite the fact movies is a poor subject for me generally and geography is pretty strong. Luckily I've actually seen "A Beautiful Mind" and knew it was about John Nash. I did consider Gandhi, but was fairly confident Nash was correct.
Shaymin
Valued Contributor

Post by Shaymin »

Fell for the vicious Schindler's List negbait too.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

I swear, this was my thought process: "Oh, it's A Beautiful Mind -- John Nash. No, wait, that's negbait because the clue says 'title subject,' and it's not something like A Man with a Beautiful Mind. So, um, Gandhi -- wait, I thought he didn't win one? Maybe I'm wrong about that? I guess I'll write down 'Gandhi' just to put something down."

Obviously, I overthought the implication of "title subject."
jwatcher16
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jwatcher16 »

Hi Davey and OntarioQuizzer -

Thanks for replying, but I'm not sure I'd argue it's NOT a Nobel Prize when it's discussed at the Nobel Website along with the others, but maybe that's just me...

BUT I think I missed something here: OntarioQuizzer wrote:

"Besides, OP only made the semifinals of the UToC." I probably should know (of course it's been a while...) but who is OP?

And I'll add Happy New Year to all :)
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

I thought "title subject" meant the film had to be named after the person. I specifically disregarded Nash/A Beautiful Mind (popped into my head because they show him getting the award in the film itself) because of this and went with Gandhi instead. Sheesh.

If I was on this show I would be pretty angry about the question.
Last edited by OSXpert on Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote:At least I had company with my misses blurting Mitterand and Double Bubble.
I fell for Mitterand and clammed on the gum tape. I thought it was Hubba Bubba and would've gone with that on a DD. But I was worried it would turn out to be Dubble Bubble (note correct spelling in case that ever comes up. You know, like an -UBBLE -UBBLE category or something.)
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

jwatcher16 wrote:And Joshua was a TS?

Maybe they didn't learn the song:

Joshua fought the Battle of Jericho, Jericho, Jericho
Joshua fought the Battle of Jericho
And the walls came tumbling down
It's more fun if you do the hand and body motions.
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

OSXpert wrote:I thought "title subject" meant the film had to be named after the person. I specifically disregarded Nash/A Beautiful Mind (popped into my head because they show him getting the award in the film itself) because of this and went with Gandhi instead. Sheesh.

If I was on this show I would be pretty angry about the question.
I was likewise confused by the 'title subject' wording and almost talked myself out of Nash. I wonder whether any of the contestants thought likewise?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

jwatcher16 wrote:
"Besides, OP only made the semifinals of the UToC." I probably should know (of course it's been a while...) but who is OP?
Is does not work for everyone, but for a lot of J! players their board handles are in the Archive. Do a search for teapot37 and see who gets the hit.

opusthepenguin wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:At least I had company with my misses blurting Mitterand and Double Bubble.
I fell for Mitterand and clammed on the gum tape. I thought it was Hubba Bubba and would've gone with that on a DD. But I was worried it would turn out to be Dubble Bubble (note correct spelling in case that ever comes up. You know, like an -UBBLE -UBBLE category or something.)
Dubble Bubble, thanks. Froot Loops I would have had right.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Not being able to come up with anything else, I went with TE Lawrence. :|

I've never seen A Beautiful Mind, and while the name of the movie is familiar, I didn't know too much about what or who it was about.
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

teapot37 wrote:Some would argue this FJ has no correct answers. The "Nobel Prize in Economics" isn't, technically, a Nobel Prize.
This is correct. The official name is the " Swedish National Bank's Prize In Economic Sciences In Memory Of Alfred Nobel." It's awarding in the Nobel ceremony is controversial, as economics cannot be termed a science in the same way chemistry or biology is, since it is not subject to peer reviewed journals.

And don't get me started on the "title subject" part. This FJ should be taken out and shot.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

FJ was an instaget for me but then again I live in Princeton and I knew the man who told John Nash Jr that he had won the Nobel.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $41,200 $37,200
49 R/1 W 48 R/2 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :(
LT: Hubba Bubba, Joshua, One Life To Live, Lonesome Dove (DD), Alabama (DD), Urban, Luther Burbank

That was a rough FJ! I thought of Gandhi and went with him confidently. It turns out that even the Nobel organization refers to him as "the missing laureate." Had I thought of John Nash, I'm not sure I would have switched my answer given that economics isn't a true Nobel discipline.
TenPoundHammer wrote:I thought it was just called Bubble Tape. I didn't know Hubba Bubba was part of the name too.
Originally it wasn't. I assume that at some point Wrigley bought the rights to the product and put it under the Hubba Bubba brand. I only got this one because I am the father of an eight-year-old boy. Bubble Tape is a fairly regular dollar store purchase for us.
Last edited by BigDaddyMatty on Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sprinkles are for winners.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

jwatcher16 wrote:

OP directed A Beautiful Mind.

[Sorry. Could not resist. I'll show myself out.]
OCSam
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

OrangeSAM wrote:
jwatcher16 wrote:

OP directed A Beautiful Mind.

[Sorry. Could not resist. I'll show myself out.]
I hate when people quote stuff and then post their wish that there were a "Like" button on the board, but I literally looked for the "Like" button on this post.